The ridiculous state of PvP

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Iktomi

The ridiculous state of PvP

Post by Iktomi »

So, the inspiration behind the PvP-free week was to give us GMs a chance to tackle the miserable state of PvP here on the shard. We've been thinking about it for a while, and what can be done about it, but figured it was finally time to take a time out.

What are the core issues? (I'm speaking for myself, but think I also reflect some of the GM perspectives).

1.) The state of PvP has gotten incredibly griefy, particularly for a few people. The goal seems to be about pissing off the other player as much as possible, regardless of characters involved, RP justification, etc. This also leads to tons of complaining about the rules as everyone tries to get the upper hand in every situation. Dealing with these situations takes a lot of GM time and means we don't have an opportunity to work on the huge pipeline of awesome projects we have on the go.

2.) Metagaming is out of control. Players typically use all their characters to support all of their other characters (merchants, sharing loot, etc.). Also, people are spying with unrelated characters, creating and allying guilds specifically to position themselves in the best way to be able to grief the opposing players

I'm happy to get suggestions on what people think we should do, but ultimately we're going to go with whatever we think is best. Just so you all have an idea of what so far seem to be serious considerations, I've created a number of polls on which you can indicate whether you like this idea or not. See below:

1. Reintroduce looting restrictions
2. Create an insurance system
3. Introduce account restrictions on guild membership, guild warring/allying, etc.
4. Cause non-religious allied guildmembers to receive religion damage
5. Ban the few players that are responsible for the bulk of these issues
6. Introduce .pvpon/.pvpoff

EDIT: Just to reiterate, ultimately we are going to do what we think is best. At the moment, I don't think any of us GMs are having a very fun time and we deserve to be in a positive environment as much as anyone else does. Otherwise there's no point in us being here and keeping the shard running.
Biggs

Re: The ridiculous state of PvP

Post by Biggs »

these two.

4. Cause non-religious allied guildmembers to receive religion damage
5. Ban the few players that are responsible for the bulk of these issues

on no.5 i can suggest a few players, or countrys :P
Ares

Post by Ares »

I would seriously advise anyone against any fingerpointing or accusations in this thread.
Demian

Post by Demian »

Iktomi wrote:1.) The state of PvP has gotten incredibly griefy, particularly for a few people. The goal seems to be about pissing off the other player as much as possible, regardless of characters involved, RP justification, etc. This also leads to tons of complaining about the rules as everyone tries to get the upper hand in every situation. Dealing with these situations takes a lot of GM time and means we don't have an opportunity to work on the huge pipeline of awesome projects we have on the go.
Simply make a new rule on how you can war another guild. If there were more clear rules you wouldn't get people warring eachother for no real reason. How about:

"Due to religions being more powerful than the common guild, they are not allowed to war guilds that do not continuously keep attacking the religion in question or helping the enemy religion/guild in battle by other means. Screenshots of the attacks (Name is attacking you) and/or the guildmember blessing/spying for the enemy religion, must be sent to the gamemasters. The same applies to guilds whom are allied to a religion."

That may not sound like it lessens your workload but it really will because then the wars like Tek vs. DMS and AG vs. whatever wouldn't happen since those guilds that Tek and AG went into war with never take part in PvP.
Iktomi wrote:2.) Metagaming is out of control. Players typically use all their characters to support all of their other characters (merchants, sharing loot, etc.). Also, people are spying with unrelated characters, creating and allying guilds specifically to position themselves in the best way to be able to grief the opposing players
Don't really know what or who you are referring to with this.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

1. No
2. Do so if you wish, its just new messy system most likely anyhow.
3. Sure, i dont mind if you have to commit yourself for one faction only.
4. No, this was removed for a f*cking reason and it should stay away
5. Depends if they are large enough problem to be actualy banned
6. No, this is not a common pkpk ruski shard of WoW or some other game.

EDIT: If you wish to discuss about my opinion, you can contact me trough ICQ. There is reason why these things shouldnt be changed.
Biao

Post by Biao »

Ivan wrote:
1. No
2. Do so if you wish, its just new messy system most likely anyhow.
3. Sure, i dont mind if you have to commit yourself for one faction only.
5. Depends if they are large enough problem to be actualy banned
6. No, this is not a common pkpk ruski shard of WoW or some other game.

EDIT: If you wish to discuss about my opinion, you can contact me trough ICQ. There is reason why these things shouldnt be changed.
Same opinion as Ivan.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

1.) The state of PvP has gotten incredibly griefy, particularly for a few people. The goal seems to be about pissing off the other player as much as possible, regardless of characters involved, RP justification, etc. This also leads to tons of complaining about the rules as everyone tries to get the upper hand in every situation. Dealing with these situations takes a lot of GM time and means we don't have an opportunity to work on the huge pipeline of awesome projects we have on the go.

2.) Metagaming is out of control. Players typically use all their characters to support all of their other characters (merchants, sharing loot, etc.). Also, people are spying with unrelated characters, creating and allying guilds specifically to position themselves in the best way to be able to grief the opposing players
About these two i can say, you should harshly punish the people who are whining about the rules for no good reason. If they've not read the rules clearly enough give them 1-2 day jail to have some time to read the rules properly. If the guy is correct, then there is nothing to it. Ofcourse it'd mean to GM's knowing the rules exactly and to be able to make quick decissions depending on the proof they've been given. If there is no proof there is no case its simple as that (EDIT: As in nothing has happened unless there is a proof about it.)
Last edited by Ivan on Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biggs

Post by Biggs »

Ivan wrote:
It wasnt there has never been religion damage on non religion people as far as I know.
It was the total opposite, non religion guys inflicting religion damage using religion blessed weapons.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Biggs wrote:
Ivan wrote:
It wasnt there has never been religion damage on non religion people as far as I know.
It was the total opposite, non religion guys inflicting religion damage using religion blessed weapons.
Well in my case as an example, murderers and robbers used to take religious dmg. So it was quite unfair and is still, if its added back in any form.
Basil Brotheamus

Post by Basil Brotheamus »

Prohibit PVP from those who cause problems. If it's only few players causing the shitstorm, don't allow them to participate in PVP for another week. No need to make them to affect the whole shard with their personal behaviour.