Year 2011 in review

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

How do you rate the year 2011?

5 (Great)
38%
4 (Good)
37%
3 (Average)
16%
2 (Bad)
5%
1 (Horrible)
5%

Total votes: 63

Boris
Admin

Year 2011 in review

Post by Boris »

We're almost done with 2011 and atleast I'm interested what you think/thought of the year 2011?

During 2011 a lot of things have changed. Here's atleast a few things I can recall without thinking too hard: Alteran retired, Argon recruited, Monad recruited, Order of Imperial recreated, Wille recruited, change in piety system, change in piety timers, change in looting rules, new items, new dungeon and recently Icarus recruited. What comes to changes scriptwise, there's too much to mention. With GM eyes I'd say the most pleasent update has been account creation working again and I'm hoping to see the webshard in full action next year. If I was a player, I think my favorite thing would be magical hides and bones. What comes to the world itself and how it has changed during the year, I think the biggest thing is Imperial and their slice of the map, wich has increased by 600% in 8 months.

What are/were your highlights of the year? What do you expect from 2012?

Thanks,
Boris
Leather armor is best for sneaking, because it's literally made from hide.
Palma

Re: Year 2011 in review

Post by Palma »

Let me start by saying with experience that, I can tell you it couldn't have been done better.
KaneThun

Post by KaneThun »

Just need a solution for 3d and it would be perfect

ah and dryloot :twisted:
Mike

Post by Mike »

2011 has seen a lot of positive change. During '11 Vanguard of Telborea went from GM favorites to despised outcasts, and I expect us to bounce back in '12.
"last i knew it was illegal to hate someone" Richard Mota
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

Palma wrote:Let me start by saying with experience that, I can tell you it couldn't have been done better.
Would of and should of.

Things still aren't running as smooth as planned, but hopefully various things will work more efficent in 2012. Also I hope Wille will not burnout next year. No matter how much he scripts, the TODO list keeps growing and growing.

- Boris
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

i think it was very very positive. i voted good instead of great just because there's always room for improvement.
but pangaea was a dead shard. now it's alive again, with many improvements/changes. it's not easy for a shard, and uo isn't exactly a recent game.
we had many changes as to how things work, we've had minor class adjustments. new things. the only thing i would prefer would be to have a bit more online players generally. but it's great, considering how the shard was.

for 2012, i hope that new things continue to be adjusted/fixed/changed, concerning classes and class balance. looking forward to see how will the new looting rules go, and if we are able to have drylooting.
Uzriel Raven

Post by Uzriel Raven »

I give 2011 a 5, not a 4. It wasn't luck that our population skyrocketed this past year, it's due to the constant dedication this staff has given in their free moments. I regret that I don't know the staff very well on a personal level, but damn you can tell they care. They've tackled the small stuff and bigger issues. My PERSONAL favorite small change:Pants under plate. It's been a constant flow, over these past 12 months there's been small changes here and there. They question us, ask us what we do and do not like. I've never seen this much interaction between players and staff. We can always count on Boris to be fair, yet stick to his guns when he knows that he is correct.

My favorite thing about Boris is that when confronted, he will step up and smack down your ass with a wall of text explaining why he is right, if not for his reasons, for the well being of the players and the shard. He doesn't simply lock topics and refuse to express why. Overall this generation of staff, they are men of action, they make things happen, even if it seems slow.

With all that corny shit said, thanks Irming, Boris, Wille, Monad and Argon. I look forward to seeing what the addition of Icarus brings to the table. We all look forward to 2012, good luck, you have our crazy asses for another year.
Quintoz

Post by Quintoz »

Only thing I don't like about 2011 is that you have to be in religon to get weapons blessed. But then again 20 good things vs 1 bad is still great stuff.

Stop the cuckening on Pang #MakePangGreat
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

Glarundis wrote:for 2012, i hope that new things continue to be adjusted/fixed/changed, concerning classes and class balance. looking forward to see how will the new looting rules go, and if we are able to have drylooting.
Hopefully this isn't a huge shocker, but drylooting is coming back in some form (In the future, when? I don't know), but before that we need to find out and fix the speed issues. It's just not fair for the victim to be in a 2D vs. 3D situation, when millions are on the line. But as I mentioned, it's a future thing. I think we can pull up a poll on looting next spring/summer.

I'd also like to give a big hand to Irming. There's been a lot of criticism on the shards location and how it should be in the control of "the new staff" - but I seriously can't think of a guy, who's more efficent in keeping the server up. If the shard goes down, it's 20-30 minutes and Irming has fixed the problem. Lets say if I had the physical shard in my possession it could be 6-8 hours. If Monad had the shard, it would be 2-3 days depending on Monads hangover. Only thing better than Irming is a paid dedicated server... but for such luxury can only be bought with massive donations. We have a guy, who's doing this for free and for years. We eat up his electricity, his freetime and his dignity.
Quintoz wrote:Only thing I don't like about 2011 is that you have to be in religon to get weapons blessed.
When this was taken to use, it was pretty 50/50 - but now, I'm fully confident that it was the right decision. Sorry for your loss.

- Boris
Thoorin

Post by Thoorin »

Comparing these last couple of months that I've played now and the time I "tried" to come back like two years ago the difference is huge.

The amount of players, magical bone/hide stuff, first assasin- & warrior boosts, new potion/ore/hide,nox back, the staff etcetc.

And when it comes to the "good ol' days" -
I'd have to say it's good to be back. Some good friends quit,but loads of 'em still here and there's plenty of new ones also!
For now, keep up the good work. The current pace & direction is lookin' good!

Equal speed to 2d and 3d would be my cup of tea.