Your Burning Questions / FAQ Re: RunUO/Shard Update

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Ivan

Re: Your Burning Questions / FAQ Re: RunUO/Shard Update

Post by Ivan »

Basil Brotheamus wrote:
Ivan wrote:
Iktomi wrote:The starting area will be surrounded with Shabooli hunters... and pixies.
Some of the staff doesnt realise that char with 0 wrestling 0 tactics and 50 str without bandies cant even kill a rabbit. When I first started playing on pang I spent first 30 mins instead of whacking a dummy trying to actualy hunt rabbits and birds, it didnt turn out well.
Some of the players can't take jokes. :)
Pixies are annoying way or another! Remove them at once!
Ert
Counselor

Post by Ert »

You just kill yourself faster with bandies :D
dwight

Post by dwight »

Andoriel wrote:Gargoyle stuff are preaty decent though. Atleast they stick with medieval europe theme and does fit old ultima series
I also think that samurai stuff (samurai story starts around year 1100) is as medieval as european impression and could be used with proper rp
James Blackburn

Post by James Blackburn »

Ved Dwight wrote:
I also think that samurai stuff (samurai story starts around year 1100) is as medieval as european impression and could be used with proper rp
NO!

and...
Andoriel wrote:Gargoyle stuff are preaty decent though. Atleast they stick with medieval europe theme and does fit old ultima series

NO!
Andoriel

Post by Andoriel »

I ment as a theme not playable race :D
Gargys were very important to single player ultima lore.
dwight

Post by dwight »

Cirius Do'Brim wrote:Image
James Blackburn wrote:
Ved Dwight wrote:
NO!
Do you guys even know what bushido is and how it works in ultima?

its the way of the warrior, buffs for attacking and defense stances.. i understand that reactioing about clothing and decorations but some features are great
Vaux27

Post by Vaux27 »

No one is saying the samurai stuff is bad per say, it's just not Pangaea.

People forget, the major reason we never moved to RunUO was because Pangaea was it's own old style. Implementation of lots of new things have kept it fresh, but this whole move is still a question mark due to change. It's not all about "not wanting change", but will it not be Pangaea any more? That's what led to myself asking about the Samurai stuff, it's just not Pangaea. Glad it won't be apart of it.

I respect the volunteers involved in this, trying to keep the shard we obviously love running. I don't question the accessibility of scripters and the move making it much easier to recruit new players. It's the staying power that I question, "will it last?". There are thousands of RunUO shards that die and taking a classic POL shard to RunUO isn't as easy as it's being made out to be ultimately(pun intended).

I will of course test this out and support Pangaea through and through, but in my mind Pangaea will be back on POL in the end.
Last edited by Vaux27 on Fri May 23, 2014 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
632-140-419
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

I love samurai stuff as much as the next but in my view, the samurai expansion was about as awesome as the Panda expansion to WoW. It doesn't really seem to fit in anywhere with Ultima not just Pangaea.

While I agree gargoyles in terms of past Ultima games and medieval Europe in general does work I definitely do not want gargoyles as playable races lol, they'd be the equivalent in my view as the cat people in the ES games, lame.

As for the swap im a huge advocate for it obviously it gives us the access to updated goodies we already implemented without having to jump through hoops as you would on pol. I don't necessarily think anyone has portrayed this swap as easy or an overnight express change, those who are working on the project who have even a basic idea of what needs to be done ought to have recognized its challenges, I do not necessarily think its the monumental task some might say as not everything needs to nor should be ported over right away or perhaps ever.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Vaux27 wrote:It's not all about "not wanting change", but will it not be Pangaea any more?
Out of personal experience, it's never been so much about the shard or the game itself as it's been about this god awfully messed up community we all love. It's the players that make the fun. It doesn't even matter what game we play as long as we play it together. Therefore I would not worry so much about how loyal we stay to the old, outdated and unbalanced Pangaea.

That's just my opinion.