Your Burning Questions / FAQ Re: RunUO/Shard Update

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Ivan

Re: Your Burning Questions / FAQ Re: RunUO/Shard Update

Post by Ivan »

It'd be nice to see some player cooperation, unlike in current pang... Instead of having law as religion managing everything, players would've to create the protective faction themselves.

Just my ideas, but ofc since its copy of pang this wont be changed.
Ricardus

Post by Ricardus »

Ivan wrote:It'd be nice to see some player cooperation, unlike in current pang... Instead of having law as religion managing everything, players would've to create the protective faction themselves.

Just my ideas, but ofc since its copy of pang this wont be changed.
Are you taliking about the same pang that i know? lol
Law don't decide anything, we wore merely pawns under staff's will.
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

I agree to a point with ya Ivan. I would like to see a lot less power in terms of policing in the hands of players, it doesn't work. But if we were to keep this model I'd like to ultimately see a proper system where criminality is ruled based on the sector you're in. Thus if you are deemed a treacherous brigand by Law and their set of...laws (can we rethink the name of Law for that religion btw? It sounds stupid, always has and always will.) you could still conceivably wander the lands controlled by Imperial.

In terms of religions I think a pantheon style would be cool where all the gods are related in some way or another where there are two or three major gods which make up the religions for the pious characters but the common non pious folk could conceivably follow one of lets say the six lesser gods who offer specific bonuses like increased material gain when harvesting for instance. These lesser gods could have small shrines located in towns and cities which much like the big two or three religions, followers of the lesser gods would have to renew their faith by visiting the altar every so often otherwise their god(ess) turns their back on them revoking their bonus and a penalty is placed on them and they can not just readily follow or renew their vows to another god for x days. Just quick brainstorming but I think this would be the way to go, it kills the age old complaint of "well imperial has a ton of merchants cause of their bless but Law/Nature/Tekstone doesn't and that's not fair..." Or there not being enough for non pious characters to do in the current religions. I am hoping that the new religion system will remove the guild tag system we have now so you could join this or that guild and if it does that incorporate a pantheon style system like I mentioned above, we will see I suppose.

But ultimately I am hoping to see an expansive virtue system completed. Not our shitty title system which everyone calls mistakenly a virtue system.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

I dont realy care about gods or w/e, but I'd rather have the players create the groups that control the towns and decide, which way they want to lead the people. Just as an example some could organize a group that acts and as robbers yet still tries to gain cities and suchs, while others could be trying to be more nice and build their kingdom with peace... or perhaps rule with force and conquer everything?

Thats what pangaea imo has been lacking, more lenient system for the factions and less administration based. How could this be produced? Guilds control towns and guards attack only red players and enemies of the guild. Leave all the balance troubles and bullshit that religions cause outside of the "political" ground control system.

Also leaving the "law" faction up to players to form would be a nice idea, players choose if they wish to make a lawful force that protects noobies and so on. While others may only choose to protect their own followers etc.

EDIT: sorry I think this might be wrong thread for further discussion...

So how is Pangaea runUO progress?
Dargon

Post by Dargon »

Always wanted to buy a city with Maunos..we owned 3/4 Trinsic already, but Boris accepted no fee for turning the guards cloaks into Mauno colours :(
Philip Azevedo:
na dude, fu*k uni... that shit wont lead you anywhere
pang on the otherhand....
Talerco Pious

Post by Talerco Pious »

God bless Boris
I whine, therefore I am
Dargon

Post by Dargon »

Talerco Pious wrote:God bless Boris
:P
Philip Azevedo:
na dude, fu*k uni... that shit wont lead you anywhere
pang on the otherhand....
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Well Ivan you and I had a nice discussion about Pangaea last night (for me, probably earlier today for you, who knows with the whacky timezones.) I agree it'd be nice to see guilds hold power you know aside from the complete obliteration of the religions, we see pretty much eye to eye. I like the religions I think they add a nice bonus to the world and wouldn't want WoW style priests (or paladins which for some reason we call knights here). But I definitely agree less power in the hands of religions in terms of just dominating nigh every aspect of the shard, put guilds on an equal footing, which as usual I have ideas for guilds, sort of a rough draft idea floating around in my head which would make guilds enticing.

I wrote up my idea for religions but Iktomi says Dawn has a write up for it already so we will just have to wait and see, maybe I'll bombard them with my religion idea anyways, I think it has valid points and would offer many an opportunity for quests in the future as well as just removing some of the annoyances the current religion system has, well the potential to.

The Demaunos should've bought cove then, perfect!

And ya probably not the proper place for development :lol:
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Maximilian Lhoth

Post by Maximilian Lhoth »

How will not so consensual PvP work? I suppose robbing is allowed, but robbers aren't welcome to towns. Robbers are neither stoned, maledicted or wronged.

My suggestion is to make things work like on Lorendia; make fleeing somewhat easy to avoid robbers becoming a major problem. On the other hand, don't make so strict rules on screenshots and uploading them - it IS difficult to halt someone, take a screenshot, be sure it's seen, then uploading screenshots within 30 minutes (when you're often still fighting or fleeing). If you PvP actively, you will be snitched over everything, whether you did anything illegal or not.

People who voluntarily join factions for PvP should not be judged too strictly over failures to provide screenshots of everything, as long as it's a faction vs. faction fight.

Those outside of factions will likely be attacked because of their religious devotion or because of their loot. Victims of robbers should have methods of fleeing, so that only well planned robberies (or other surprise attacks) would be successful. Instead of making it a major pain in the a** for gamemasters to go through all the whines over illegal attacks or giving someone/something the option of stoning/wronging people, make the game mechanics such that people either join a side voluntarily or have decent methods of fleeing.

I believe everyone would enjoy this situation. Robbers wouldn't have to worry about stoning, wronging etc. and the victims would be generally able to flee. Gamemasters wouldn't need to watch the screenshots and decide all the time if something was illegal or not (and end up banning PvP for two weeks in their frustrated state of mind).
James Blackburn

Post by James Blackburn »

i'd love to hear how is this project progressing, its been full month since last shard announcement