Pangaea - The Edge of the Dafuq'sgoingon

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Quintoz

Re: Pangaea - The Edge of the Dafuq'sgoingon

Post by Quintoz »

For what it's worth I would play alot more and alot longer if there was a full wipe and I said it back when there was talk about RunUO that a full wipe should be done because otherwise people will experience what there is to experience then they don't care and possibly don't play anymore.

Stop the cuckening on Pang #MakePangGreat
Striker

Post by Striker »

Just my 2 cents:

Good to hear that PolPang is still under consideration. However, at this point i think that full wipe would be a mistake. And I suggest to reconsider. There is a small pool of people that would play at the beginning, and if there will be a char wipe, many from them will resign. Tbh I would, as I don't have enough time, nor will to recreate e.g. my GM tamer for the third time since Seraph times. Plus, there was nothing wrong with old Pangea when it comes to characters. And I see no point in wiping them for just the sake of new beginning.

As Boris said, finding the middle ground is the key. So if you wanna go HC in char wipe direction, there might be a solution digestable for all. Lets delete just part of characters. Like 1 or 2 per account, based e.g. on owner's preferation. It could be easily RPed as a result of epidemy or something like that. And it would allow everyone to have a bit easier start.

PS. If the new beginning, it would be great to see T2A back ;)
Cirius Do'Brim

Post by Cirius Do'Brim »

We've already had a few item wipes and the result is always the same. You lose your shit but in 2-3 months, you're back in the same spot. The so called "gain" is very minimal in a long run. As long as you have your characters and as long as the resources/locations stay the same, there's just... you know, nothing to gain.
Johnny Walac

Post by Johnny Walac »

For me either way is okey. I would prefer a total wipe just to make it a fresh start.
Order of Nature - Telborea- The Britannian Trade Union - ICQ: 434212709
PvP Video 1
PvP Video 2
Ondoher

Post by Ondoher »

Not sure what there really is to gain from wiping the characters. Just make "Youre back in the same spot" situation a month longer process ?
Striker

Post by Striker »

Aye. If by a "fresh start" and a "fix" you mean a situation when for the next 3-6 months people, instead of socializing, RPing, pvping, pvming, will macro the shit out of the server, I do agree. Char wipe is nothing else than an additional incentive for powergaming. But I won't argue, it's your call Boris.
Thoran

Post by Thoran »

I don't really care what version of server I would play on, but I know for certain the things that I enjoy with this game. It has never been PVP or even PVE, but just plain roleplaying. And I will be doing that wherever the community is.

I know I can do that for the most part even with unclassed charaters, but still I would want to have certain skills at a certain level, just to make surviving a little less tedious. I gag at the thought of unsocial macrofest that would happen with a full wipe and also weep for the time lost while taking part to that. I have never had a heighten character, nor will I probably ever have, so I admit that I do not know the frustration of heighten gains, nor the pain from losing a character of that level.

But I know that it would take a hell of a lot longer to get back to the point where I can give back something to the community that I love. I want to see The Wayfarers and The Lovely Serpent being a part of Pang because I believe they stand for something. And I want to continue that as soon as possible.
Iktomi

Post by Iktomi »

As far as I know there are only two branches of Pangaea (Boris with PangPOL, and me/Palma/Jorgen with PangRunUO).

Re: the feel on PangRunUO, I did some movement tests and the speed is the same whether on PangPOL vs. PangRunUO, and now that we've fixed the "attack-back" issue, the shards should feel largely the same I hope. Would be curious to know if other people are having "feel" issues.

At PangRunUO, we're not planning to hold off on development while these plans for PangPOL are under discussion, as there are still some major questions outstanding (a variety of visions, no coder, etc.).

Although there is the risk of splitting the community, I definitely can't see us completing PangRunUO without maintaining some form of momentum. Given there's a risk of the PangPOL revival not working out, I think we're best off to keep working on PangRunUO and hopefully getting it to the point where everyone will want to move over (maybe we can even convince Boris!).

Also, if it does end up in a situation where the two shards are running in parallel, we could potentially do new transfers from PangPOL, but that's obviously not ideal. Hopefully we can get PangRunUO to a more playable state so that the PangPOL revival isn't needed.
Thoorin

Post by Thoorin »

Cirius Do'Brim wrote:We've already had a few item wipes and the result is always the same. You lose your shit but in 2-3 months, you're back in the same spot. The so called "gain" is very minimal in a long run. As long as you have your characters and as long as the resources/locations stay the same, there's just... you know, nothing to gain.
Wiping items and religions for now would be the best solution if you ask me. But the thing about resources and locations is true also, that would be required to freshen the start here.
Don't think wiping the characters would be the "only" nor the best solution.

Either way I would start to play again.
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

i would only accept full wipe (and in fact, welcome it) if that comes with a reviewed class system..otherwise it's just a pain in the ass and leads to no purpose..its' true that item wipe will only slow ppl for the first few months and then they're right where they were.. (let's face it, not quite "exactly" where they were :P we can't play all day long like we used to). but hey, that just means pangaea is old..when ppl reach the end of the game, usually new stuff gets added instead of just cutting down whatever you have gained..that doesn't work (or shouldn't) in a mmorpg. it works well for fps where you actually don't lose anything or almost anything..it's just another fresh round..or text based mmorpgs like kingdom of chaos and stuff..but this isn't one of those games

about pangpol vs runuo

what's the problem with having pangpol up and running and ppl play here, and runuo also stays online and being developed, and ppl join there when new stuff comes by?
i atleast want to be a part of runuo in the long run, because let's face it, there is nothing new in pangpol. we've all been in that situation, we've all done this and that..itemwipe or fullwipe will only give us a brief illusion that there's something new..but there isn't...runuo can give us that. the only reason why ppl could still want to play in pangpol is endless pvpfest. or rp, but you can do that in both pangaeas