Who will play again? Playercount

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Quintoz

Re: Who will play again? Playercount

Post by Quintoz »

Daimeri wrote:Okay

I just wondering how did people played 15 years in broken shard.
There's a different between "not playable because broken" and the code itself being inefficient and causing lagg and other issues. If he finds and fixes 5 things like the guard thing and all of a sudden saves take .1 sec and there's never a hickup when running then I'm pretty sure every player would appreciate it. On top of that if the core gets optimized on a coding level adding new things will be less of a headache, I do remember Boris saying something about blckfire not being the guy that adds new content (correct me if I'm wrong) but if they find one that wants too work on that sort of stuff then his job would be alot easier, if indeed he dosen't need to fix/edit 10 different things just to make that new thing he's adding work with the others.

1-2 weeks isen't going to kill anyone and if the end result is better then it's going to be better in the long run.

Stop the cuckening on Pang #MakePangGreat
blckfire
Scripter

Post by blckfire »

I think Quintoz explained it more or less how it is in Pangaea.

Imagine a span of 15+ years of different coders working on the code without following any kind of rule and adding content in a way that everything doesn't fall apart?

Ever wondered why massive quests are not possible anymore? or why when you have 30-50 people online suddenly things don't go as smoothly or server crashes?

Well, those are the kind of things that can ruin the whole experience and I bet people will love to participate in quests with a huge number of people without having lag, or freezes or even worse, crashes and data losses...

Not trying to put a bad image on my fellow coders/developers/scripters that came before, they did an awsome job creating all the amazing content we all enjoy in Pangaea, but it is time to clean up the house and bring Pangaea to a new level and to what is expected today in terms of performance and playability.

To give you guys an overall idea of the future in terms of code:

Short Term
- Prepare the content to relaunch.
- Fix major issues wherever found.
- Launch.

Mid Term
- Fix bugs as they come.
- Add small bits of content whenever necessary.

Long Term
- Clean up/Organize the code.

Basically, for you guys it will be like almost nothing is changing but you will for sure notice improvements in performance here and there. Hopefully in 1-2 years time we will have a better shard, ready for whatever comes next.

As a side note:
Pangaea has (hundreds of) thousands of lines of code. Some (a big part), with almost 0 comments and explanations on what is being done, plus there is not a very methodical way of organizing the scripts, meaning that parts of the same system can be found in 10 different places. This makes the process extremely slow and painful.
Daimeri

Post by Daimeri »

Thanks blckfire and Quintoz for your posts. This explains to me why server is under construction. I will appreciate what all coders and staff are doing and hope that we get new better pang up and running soon.
Baoler

Post by Baoler »

Thank you blckfire and everyone on the current Pangaea team for your hard work in bringing back a shard that many love and have fond memories for. I too have no problem with waiting for something. Especially when it is worth waiting for. Do your best and I'll be waiting to play when you allow the server open to the public! Thank you!

In the mean time I shall be excited. :)
Baler from JE
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

this is funny..a while ago (has it been more than a year already) the community got split because of polpang and runuopang and then runuopang wanted to do this and that, but it seems things are taking time, and now we come to see polpang and voila! we are to expect changes here aswell, many of them alike xD

this is starting to sound like politics..the community is the country, and polpang and runuopang are the parties...promises!!all promises!!! hahaha

i just want to play lol, not trying to criticize anyone..keep up the work, we've been waiting for so long that we can wait a bit more :) i don't mind waiting, i just don't want to wait and then come to an empty server because ppl have lost hope
Demian

Post by Demian »

Are we there yet? :P
Iktomi

Post by Iktomi »

blckfire wrote:Pangaea has (hundreds of) thousands of lines of code.
Pffft. Your MOM has hundreds of thousands of lines of code.
Vulcan
Game Master

Post by Vulcan »

blckfire
Scripter

Post by blckfire »

Iktomi wrote:
blckfire wrote:Pangaea has (hundreds of) thousands of lines of code.
Pffft. Your MOM has hundreds of thousands of lines of code.
Without the config files, 181,475. This means only .src and .inc, excluding empty lines of code if you're wondering.

Anyway, who cares :D
Daimeri

Post by Daimeri »

"Pangaea has (hundreds of) thousands of lines of code"

Yeah. Maybe pre downloaded pol has. But that doesn't mean coder have to go trough every single line.

Anyway is there any estimate time how long is gonna take when pang is up again weeks? months ?