Before launch

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Glarundis

Re: Before launch

Post by Glarundis »

Thoran wrote:Somewhat interesting idea Shani, but it would be too much of a penalty for those who can't play that much anymore. Secondly, I'm not entirely sure if you thought this as a some kind of fix/balancing for the "piety" issues, but this wouldn't affect that at all. Of course there is the similarity of getting weaker because of inactivity, but piety is gained as a reward from rp-actions and these skills would be still trained back by using them.

I'd like to add that I'm not aiming to wallow in this "piety" discussion. To be honest I don't that much care how the piety itself works. But I do hope that the possible effects of roleplaying would be equaled for everyone. Either everyone should have a possibility of getting a effect from roleplaying and dedication, or nobody does. It is a fundamental game design decision, whether all players have similar and equal possibilities within the game, or are some perks reserved for a small group of players. Pangaea is quite unique in every sense and when it comes to this and other games the situation is somewhat different. There is however some similarity to mechanics like "pay-to-win" or subscriber benefits that affect the gameplay for the benefit of a small specific group.
+1
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

Quintoz wrote: Should people who choose to put alot of effort into RPing get rewards? Yup.
then everyone should, with every possible class
Vulcan
Game Master

Post by Vulcan »

Thoran wrote:It is a fundamental game design decision, whether all players have similar and equal possibilities within the game, or are some perks reserved for a small group of players.
Every player has that possibility. Play a piety character and you'll get piety.

Piety characters are capped on their ability to a certain extent, and only then become overpowered. Normal characters are not capped at all, but can't get past that level. It's an intricacy of Pangaea itself and has been so from the beginning. Removing the piety system is not in the plans, so if you can't beat them, join them.

Roleplaying shouldn't be done for rewards though. Good roleplayers will do it for pleasure and some of the best roleplayers in this shard have been known to steer away from religions. You just have to stop being hypocritical about it and face that you're not playing this game for the roleplaying perspective, though you are expected to create a certain level of character background and behavior and follow that up through your IG actions. With or without piety.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Since I cannot conquer cities with my guild or be equal to the religions. I'll make sure I'll be a good menace this time around on pang, hopefully you'll enjoy the whine from people being robbed left and right?
Quintoz

Post by Quintoz »

Vulcan wrote:Roleplaying shouldn't be done for rewards though. Good roleplayers will do it for pleasure and some of the best roleplayers in this shard have been known to steer away from religions. You just have to stop being hypocritical about it and face that you're not playing this game for the roleplaying perspective, though you are expected to create a certain level of character background and behavior and follow that up through your IG actions. With or without piety.
Far from the truth, just because you don't know what they wanted out of their RP dosen't mean they didn't do it for a reward. It's how it works, you want a certain outcome or certain thing you work for it through RP. This could be as simple as guild colors but it's still a RP reward.

Stop the cuckening on Pang #MakePangGreat
Vulcan
Game Master

Post by Vulcan »

Quintoz wrote:Far from the truth, just because you don't know what they wanted out of their RP dosen't mean they didn't do it for a reward. It's how it works, you want a certain outcome or certain thing you work for it through RP. This could be as simple as guild colors but it's still a RP reward.
Not all goals are materialistic. The shard has changed a lot through the years, but some people still play LARP's such as UO for the sake of having fun.
If I didn't believe that this community has grown from it's spoiled children attitude that used to annoy the shit out of Daelor in gmtalk years ago, we'd be going on a very negative supervision with punishment, punishment, punishment. That's not how Pangaea works, and the first step is up to the players.

Ivan wrote:Since I cannot conquer cities with my guild or be equal to the religions. I'll make sure I'll be a good menace this time around on pang, hopefully you'll enjoy the whine from people being robbed left and right?
Vulcan wrote:The neutral powers are largely capped so there'll be of course a huge benefit in joining one of the factions. On top of that, it opens a door to a whole new guild system, but blckfire should be the one unveilling that when he starts working on it.
Quintoz

Post by Quintoz »

Vulcan wrote:
Quintoz wrote:Far from the truth, just because you don't know what they wanted out of their RP dosen't mean they didn't do it for a reward. It's how it works, you want a certain outcome or certain thing you work for it through RP. This could be as simple as guild colors but it's still a RP reward.
Not all goals are materialistic. The shard has changed a lot through the years, but some people still play LARP's such as UO for the sake of having fun.
If I didn't believe that this community has grown from it's spoiled children attitude that used to annoy the shit out of Daelor in gmtalk years ago, we'd be going on a very negative supervision with punishment, punishment, punishment. That's not how Pangaea works, and the first step is up to the players.
I never said the goal had to be materialistic but there has to be a reward. Example, if a group of Imperial dudes decided they wanted to try and free Blackthorne and as such contact people to find where he was imprisoned and gathered a bunch of shit (obviously they had to contact a GM at some point) then their reward for the RP put in would be that he would be freed, or atleast they'd be able to take ordered from him in another way. See what I'm saying?

Stop the cuckening on Pang #MakePangGreat
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Well from an episode standpoint I guess I don't rate as one of the best I joined a religion but on four of my characters who were at odds with the power that the religion held. Granted my character would voice that concern more in private circles and would project it toward the opposing religion but I wouldn't say that the best role players shied away from religions, this is where we hit that grey area of how do you define the best role player but alas that's an argument for another time and another story.

I'd also like to point out in my nit picky way, this isn't a LARP.

As for the piety discussion and rewards, I think it ought to be equal at least to begin with, there has to be incentive for, the proverbial carrot on a stick has to be attainable very easily, the carrot being the baser piety levels and than to attain 30 piety let's say you have to show a sort of competency in RP and than the next step show a higher quality. If players are forced to jump through hoops to make their character remotely decent from the get go, i think there'll be a serious disinterest in getting players who may have played in the past but never joined a religion in keeping them for long I the ranks.

Sadly I've never liked the idea of piety being awarded based on RP but it's an evil I've learned to deal with. I'm not really sure how this was all brought up but I'm okay with timers to get the baser piety (0-10 and 10-20 assuming we are keeping the same piety style system (I.E. Increments of 10)). It allows players to get comfortable with their class and religion and should they not find it all that interesting nothing is lost but I believe where the old system failed was it did not take into account online time for that character so people would join a religion and some would just just play other characters until their timer was up for their piety gains. Maybe have a quest system for getting the early piety (0-10) might be cool to to better immerse the player in the religions storyline but alas that's more work than I'm sure the staff is willing to put in.

I am one of those that play the game for the RP, if I wasn't I'd be playing the official shard right now, this game is outdated but I like the RP aspect of it, where characters are their own identity every second their online, if you think I'm interested in coming back to play for something other than that, I'm sorry to disappoint.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Raemonn

Post by Raemonn »

It might have been mentioned somewhere, but I'll ask again - what happens to players currently in Tekstone (and/or Nature)? Will they get transferred automatically, or will all/those religions be emptied?

I'm not planning on (re)joining a religion with my main, so I wonder if I have to get out manually, or if that's done for me.

Also, I do have an opinion on the neutral deity proposal, but since it's only a slight variation on what Ivan and Thoran have proposed, I don't feel the strong need to reiterate and/or explicate my own slightly more specific position.

Also. KUTGW admins!
Pigeon: 691-280-878
Thoran

Post by Thoran »

Just out of curiosity, is there going to be some static changes done before the launch?

If possible, remove remaining static tables and such from purchasable houses and fix some of the broken roofs.