Priest Justice

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

blckfire
Scripter

Re: Priest Justice

Post by blckfire »

One thing is for sure to make drastic changes to the class system means that we are creating an entirely new game.

I think what separates us from other shards is, the difficulty to master skills and an interesting religion system (for sure a lot more but, for me these are 2 main ones).

With the difficulty to master skills comes the obvious attachment of players to their characters, since they take so long to train them. The thing here is that we have a lot of decisions that were made long time ago that made the game what it is today.

Mainly, the game was not design to easily allow people to adapt to the meta once changes to the classes were made. A player should have to stick to this one character for the rest of his gameplay time and create new characters if he wanted to experiment with something else. This means, naturally, that when people see their loved character get nerfed, especially in a skill that took them so long to train they will complain, because it's hours of their gameplay that were lost to nothing. Hours they could've spent doing something more useful, like playing the actual game. This is where we get to the point of, how can we make it less painful?

In my eyes there is but one way to fix it, make skills scale easier and with a more linear curve. This will of course remove some of the Pangaea experience (Thousands of hours of macroing or bashing arms against each other) and replace it by, "oh, if I keep on hunting I'll get all my stats to where I want them to be without having to macro" (aside from the merchant classes, and of course some macro will be needed). I'd like to point out that to make that work well it's extremely complex and involves a lot of math and experimentation.

Other games deal with these issues by using levels, in a game like Pangaea we have to think differently. In my own view, a game should be more than drinking poison potions so that you can heal yourself to get that healing skill up, even from a RP perspective this is weird. Although, you should be able to gain while curing yourself from poison you should also be able to more quickly learn the skill by healing yourself and patching your wounds after a hunt or a small skirmish.
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

I agree with all the above completely.

To be able to hunt your way through and gain more easily wil give people a chance to enjoy hunting more and not have to macro constantly

For example for me I have to start again from scratch and I know I have like three weeks macroing before I can hunt anything really worth hunting.
My bird location is 239081580 footsteps from britain bank!
aldath c'om

Post by aldath c'om »

gaining heightens by hunting is just about luck. at this week ive killed shitloads of stuff with my crescent blade and i havent still got my .1 :(
291-697-526
Simmo

Post by Simmo »

Maybe they are just trolling, ever thought about that?
Striker

Post by Striker »

blckfire wrote: In my eyes there is but one way to fix it, make skills scale easier and with a more linear curve. This will of course remove some of the Pangaea experience (Thousands of hours of macroing or bashing arms against each other) and replace it by, "oh, if I keep on hunting I'll get all my stats to where I want them to be without having to macro" (aside from the merchant classes, and of course some macro will be needed). I'd like to point out that to make that work well it's extremely complex and involves a lot of math and experimentation
Tbh, in my opinion that's a bad idea. I've played several shards before, where the devs/gms attempted to do the same thing. In effect, players were not training while hunting, but they were macroing 2 days non-stop instead of 30 days in order to master some skills. And after a month or two they got bored with the game because they were not attached to their characters. The end.
tehsquish

Post by tehsquish »

blckfire wrote: In my eyes there is but one way to fix it, make skills scale easier and with a more linear curve. This will of course remove some of the Pangaea experience (Thousands of hours of macroing or bashing arms against each other) and replace it by, "oh, if I keep on hunting I'll get all my stats to where I want them to be without having to macro" (aside from the merchant classes, and of course some macro will be needed). I'd like to point out that to make that work well it's extremely complex and involves a lot of math and experimentation.
I don't know if the changes have to be drastic but there are definitely areas where things could be improved. Magic Resist training is a nightmare. Strength training and managing stats is a nightmare - I'm sure there are others I'm likely forgetting at the moment but if tweaks could be made in the areas where they are needed the most I think it would go a long way. Maybe training could be boosted at the lower ends to 65 or 85 but yeah. Tough question.
Zaradon

Post by Zaradon »

Simmo wrote:Image

Maybe they are just trolling, ever thought about that?

Didn't the skills drop after you've used/triggered them at some point?
Raegen Keenarrow

Post by Raegen Keenarrow »

If changing classes, you mean. Then yes. At least that's how it happened for me. I never lost any skills last time I dropped class until I used a skill. Same went for the stats too if I remember. So I simply logged him out until the timer was up. Now if the systems changed since then, then you shouldn't lose anything unless your character performs some sort of action.
aldath c'om

Post by aldath c'om »

can we transfer our priests to monks ???
291-697-526
Zaradon

Post by Zaradon »

aldath c'om wrote:can we transfer our priests to monks ???
That would be switching between the Fighter and Magicuser class.

I've offered this idea back then, never realized why it got turned down.
With a Fighter -> Magicuser class there could be some sort of a quest for fighters, to learn arcane arts in order to "learn" the magicuser ways.
(Perhaps, playermade RP quests etc, would save the scripting hassles - ofcourse, on a GM approval on this)

Just a hunch.