Pangaea Wiki, where is half of it?

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

MyraMidnight

Pangaea Wiki, where is half of it?

Post by MyraMidnight »

There is obviously some display issue going on with the wiki, because the content is still there if you view source/edit the pages, but since the "special pages" are not modifiable you cannot bypass this issue to view what version current wiki is.

Maybe we should use the opportunity to update the media-wiki we're using? I recall it being very out of date. I searched for some articles about updating, though I've never had my own wiki installation (I manage a phpbb forum though, haven't failed horribly yet) All the newer installations of media-wiki seem to include the ParserFunctions which allows fancy template work. The UO wiki uses it alot for adapting forms and fancy things, is the original reason why I was curious about those parserfunctions when I was first doing wiki-work for Pangaea, the extention just needs to be manually enabled if I understand correctly, no install required for media-wiki 1.18 and above

If our version is actually 1.18 or above, then we should totally try enabling it if the display issue is solved. Yes I have unusual amounts of fun doing wiki coding/formatting and still learning how to do it better. I helped another wiki in the meanwhile (which was just a few pages of plain text originally), Krafties wiki, I did like 99% of the work [faints].

But I've learned to handle templates since then and new tricks, I could create sort of "fill in forms" for many things, and adaptable ones if I get to play with ParserFunctions (such as recipe table could look different depending on if it were carpentry or cooking).

- The random person that worked alot on the wiki once and then went hibernating
MyraMidnight

Re: Pangaea Wiki, where is half of it?

Post by MyraMidnight »

Ivan, Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:00 am wrote:EDIT:BTW pang wiki has been broken for a while, I was thinking of updating some stuff a while ago and it just doesnt want to load the content. Though I've been so lazy to test out if its because of chrome or is it just broken as a site.

All the information is there still, but the pages dont display anything.
That's quite a long time for the wiki to be broken
blckfire
Scripter

Post by blckfire »

Well with so many things going on and such an active community atm. We barely had the time to check things outside the forums and things we are about to add. I'd love to see the wiki working again but that will take time for more important game related things.
MyraMidnight

Post by MyraMidnight »

at least the wiki content isn't lost and semi accessible (as plain text without formatting) for now.

Figured I'd make a thread about this issue with the wiki on the forum, even if just as a reminder. Ert was thinking about making this thread but forgot and had to run off to work.
Ert
Counselor

Post by Ert »

Got no time? Outsource it!
Make pang the open source shard that everyone will envy :D

on a srs note maby myra could help with it if youd like someone else to do it, shes fiddled with her own pages and she likes wikiwork *cough cough*
Vulcan
Game Master

Post by Vulcan »

I'll see about getting access to it and working it out with the volunteers.
The wiki has quite some unused potential.
MyraMidnight

Post by MyraMidnight »

googled the issue with the wiki for you guys at least: Content not showing in wiki and No content but text is there when editing

seems like only thing we can do is update the media-wiki we're using.
MyraMidnight

Post by MyraMidnight »

I miss the wiki ;3; does it show?
MyraMidnight

Post by MyraMidnight »

*rolls around on the floor*

the wiki needs more love

*rolls some more*
MyraMidnight

Post by MyraMidnight »

Im thinking about installing a mediawiki to my own hosting to experience the admin side of things and try out some of the newer features (so I'll perhaps be ready with some new template tricks if the official pangaea wiki updates).