Pangaea Wiki, where is half of it?

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Ivan

Re: Pangaea Wiki, where is half of it?

Post by Ivan »

Seeing myra's enthusiastic I wonder if it'd be possible to get copy of the pang wiki (database atleast). So that a new site could be setup for now to fulfill the role of pang wiki.

All information in pang wiki is player input anyhow, so seeing it being wasted like it is currently is just not nice.
MyraMidnight

Post by MyraMidnight »

Ivan wrote:Seeing myra's enthusiastic I wonder if it'd be possible to get copy of the pang wiki (database atleast). So that a new site could be setup for now to fulfill the role of pang wiki.

All information in pang wiki is player input anyhow, so seeing it being wasted like it is currently is just not nice.
Its an idea indeed that if I'd get a copy of a backup of the wiki I could try to recreate the current one, and update it, and perhaps then return a copy of a updated backup that the admins could use to 'restore' the official wiki on a updated base. I'd be willing to host the recreated wiki until official pangaea wiki has been updated if just the idea of updating it might be slowing things down.

Manual: Backing up a wiki

I would need a copy of two backups technically then, the database (MySQL) and the file system (ftp) of the wiki
MyraMidnight

Post by MyraMidnight »

Until then, Im gonna experiment with the parser functions in template making, so we might even just copy-paste them to the Pangaea wiki if the parser functions will be enabled after a update.
MyraMidnight

Post by MyraMidnight »

Well, this is what it has become: Pangaea Wiki @ MyraMidnight.com
People have permission to make themselves an account to migrate pages they are working on or just to try out how the update would be like perhaps, Im mostlly playing with template making and such details.

I know this isn't anything official, but I dont think I'll be taking it down until official thing has been updated. It doesn't make too much sense to have the wiki on a different domain. Unless some game masters/admins would tell me that they like the idea until someone gets their hands dirty and update the pangaea wiki for real.

Being an admin of a wiki doesn't feel so different form being normal editor with a few more options (such as ability to edit the CSS pages) and perhaps cleanup powers, since the major settings is a file you have to edit through ftp as far as I can see.
MyraMidnight

Post by MyraMidnight »

For the longest time I've wanted to create neat templates on the wiki with 'parser functions' enabled (the "if this, then add that" simple command things). I can at least now show you examples of it

Crafting Template would allow you to easily display info like this: Pies!

If someone is saying "oh we could always make tables", but templates let you fill them in like forms and avoid having to mess with the actual coding of the tables, removes the repetitive clutter from the actual pages :V and the parser functions would allow you to create a very handy one without the need of combining multiple templates and avoid giving people headaches when actually using them.

And apparently this parser functions extention comes included with all latest versions of mediawiki, just need to manually enable it (either when installing it or adding a line to the "LocalSettings.php" file that says the wiki is allowed to make use of said functions). I know you want them too!!
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Looks great.

Might work on putting items in if your planning on putting a wiki up semi-permanently until staff can gain access to the old one to update it with the changes.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
MyraMidnight

Post by MyraMidnight »

Cyrus Tegyr wrote:Looks great.

Might work on putting items in if your planning on putting a wiki up semi-permanently until staff can gain access to the old one to update it with the changes.
there is no danger of my hosting running out any time soon (I buy it 3yrs at a time), so yeah, I am hoping this can be used as a functional wiki until the real thing has been updated and I cross my fingers in hope it'll have those parser functions enabled so we could just transfer the improved content just directly back over to Pangaea Wiki when the time comes.

I'd be aiming at keeping the content on the wiki Im hosting a bit compact, like grouping similar things on a page instead of individual pages per items/spells/whatnot, just so it wont be too big of a project to transfer things back again (bet people would get very tired of moving around 600 pages of content back and forth, and thats not counting image files)
Bestia Domare

Post by Bestia Domare »

theres a nice little company around where i live http://cloudatcost.com/ cheap lifetime hosting, mostly for developers so not sure if the limitations are too much for a little wiki
Please send inquiries to the Pigeon-Post coordinates of 670 442 981
MyraMidnight

Post by MyraMidnight »

Bestia Domare wrote:theres a nice little company around where i live http://cloudatcost.com/ cheap lifetime hosting, mostly for developers so not sure if the limitations are too much for a little wiki
i have quite a few other things on my hosting (wordpress, gallery, forum for a local group, translation project about guineapigs!) and the price is quite decent and having it local feels handy. 1984.is hosting
Bestia Domare

Post by Bestia Domare »

MyraMidnight wrote:
Bestia Domare wrote:theres a nice little company around where i live http://cloudatcost.com/ cheap lifetime hosting, mostly for developers so not sure if the limitations are too much for a little wiki
i have quite a few other things on my hosting (wordpress, gallery, forum for a local group, translation project about guineapigs!) and the price is quite decent and having it local feels handy. 1984.is hosting
very nice :3
Please send inquiries to the Pigeon-Post coordinates of 670 442 981