Items disappearing from chests

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

blckfire
Scripter

Re: Items disappearing from chests

Post by blckfire »

If I can go into a point in time where the crate is there and I can find all the items that were in it, then it's possible to add those values to the current version.

Without having to create them myself.
Gorath Blackmind

Post by Gorath Blackmind »

Yeah i'm 100% sure that it didnt say "container is full" or anything like that. Plus it happened way later after i visited my innroom. If the bag was dropped at the same second, it wouldve decayed with the items way earlier than like 40-50mins later when I got the ICQ message
Gorath Blackmind

Post by Gorath Blackmind »

Also as a reminder, this happened to my stack of wyrm hearts as well. Didnt even realize it until they were gone a lot later. Container wasnt full then either. So theres multiple cases
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

For those who do not know, there is a reason why spellbooks cause this issue. POL handles spellbooks as containers, so a fully filled spellbook holds 64 loose items and counting the spellbook that is 65 in total. Now, when you do a .count on a chest with a spellbook in it, I do not believe it accounts for scrolls within that spellbook.

This could be addressed by actually upping the item count a container can hold, it's a ridiculously low number and the only reason it is set to 120 items for a container is because of client versions 4.x and lower where players would login and if there were too many non static items within the screen area, that player could potentially experience the "Black Hole" effect and not be able to move and in some cases be disconnected immediately. The "black hole" issue was addressed and fixed with client versions after the 4.x series which Pangaea uses, we are using the 5.x client series.

The spellbook issue is not something that has likely changed with higher versions of POL as the drag and drop functionality which we all know and love with spellbooks requires pol to treat spellbooks as containers. If however the staff wishes to do this and by staff I mean blckfire, the spellbook system could potentially be custom made where you either would require a scribe to put spells into a spellbook or double clicking a spell to target the spellbook. This however I advise against, it is a complicated process that needn't be taken.

Upping the item count for normal containers would most likely do the trick and simple rememberance that spellbooks are containers themselves that hold 64 separate items when full.

It's shitty this has happened to you and if you'd like I'll make ya a free spellbook to replace the one you've lost I however can not help with the clothes, no one to hunt with means I haven't been on a hunt in a few weeks and more importantly I'd probably like those clothes for myself.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Malron

Post by Malron »

This is an old bug, I tried to get Boris to fix this. I think it was concluded it was not fixable as the spell book counts as multiple items. 1 for every scroll inside it.

Maybe we can finally get a handle on this?
Vulcan
Game Master

Post by Vulcan »

Cyrus Tegyr wrote:Upping the item count for normal containers would most likely do the trick and simple rememberance that spellbooks are containers themselves that hold 64 separate items when full.
That would not solve the problem. Whatever the limit it, 120, 200, 500, players will ultimately fill the container up to that number and the spellbook will end up causing the same issue.

I've advised against putting spellbooks/runebooks/codex in containers before, it's a known bug. It's on our list of serious bugs to be fixed but will require several scripting hours.
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Codex Damnorums are perfectly safe to put into containers. They count as one item. Unlike spellbooks and rune books, codex Damnorums use cprops to determine what spells are in that book and not considered a container by pol. Thus it counts for one item and not 17 when completely filled.

Druid bags on the other hand are probably considered containers as you just drop the rune inside the bag.

Well, I'm just saying in terms of container limits, if we're talking about old nonsense that can be changed it might be handy to up container item counts, the only reason they were set as low as they are is because of the black hole client bug that was fixed long ago. But alas, I've pointed this out many times in the past.

And yes I realise that it wouldn't fix the issue it would require something added to the on insert script for said container to only count rune books, spellbooks and Druid bags as one item but most people only drop on spellbook into a container as they do not need multiple spell books and if you drop two full spellbooks into an empty container you've exceeded your item count for said container. But whatever, we'll just have to suffer on.

I'd like to point out that even if you would have caught the chest in time you would have more than likely had to pick up all 64 magery scrolls and place them back into the spell book.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Simmo

Post by Simmo »

<---- why this dude is not part of scripters or something?
Percy

Post by Percy »

Because he'd fix every bug in Pangaea in a day and implement every good idea ever suggested on the 2nd and we'd all be bored in a week and quit because nothing new to look forward to
Send any messages to this location;
635'288'825
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Wouldn't know where to begin, it's been many a moon since I've delved into pol scripting and to be honest I don't like the committee rule where as I understand it anything that is to be implemented has to be voted on by the rest of the staff. When I did minor scripting on a shard many years ago, I essentially had free reign and could implement whatever I felt would work with the shard I was working on.

I'd much rather create a horse than a camel.

(An old saying, "A camel is a horse designed by committee")

Ultimately, my time schedule conflicts with blckfire''s who would have to sit down with me and show me what's what. Fucking time zones.... I started dinking around with an old copy of pol that I have but it's slow going relearning stuff I've forgotten and since I have no formal training in programming I'm self taught, it's just super slow. If I make anything worth mentioning perhaps I'd give it to the staff but for now I'm more or less a dinker rather than a doer.

Knowing how things work is a little different than knowing how to script fixes :D.