Name change

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Glarundis

Re: Name change

Post by Glarundis »

Quintoz wrote:
Glarundis wrote:
Forget about it. Timewarp will dmg things even further. Stop trying to ruin everybody else's achievements during these YEARS just because you didn't play.
Fixed that for you.
Accepted :P
Emirien

Post by Emirien »

Glarundis wrote:Forget about it. Timewarp will dmg things even further. Stop trying to ruin everybody else's achievements during these YEARS just because you didn't play.
Well its a bad idea to just roll back untill someone is happy.... why not a fresh start, everyone back to 0! *grin*
-Eric Shadowblade

688 831 885
-Brit
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Emirien wrote:
Glarundis wrote:Forget about it. Timewarp will dmg things even further. Stop trying to ruin everybody else's achievements during these YEARS just because you didn't play.
Well its a bad idea to just roll back untill someone is happy.... why not a fresh start, everyone back to 0! *grin*
Atleast wait until I get 5 legendary/ancient chars first.
Shalinn

Post by Shalinn »

So what about this name change?
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

You're waiting on me. I don't personally like the idea of just throwing everything against the wall at once but I'm being flexible here with the rest of the staff. I need to write the stuff for handing out and tracking who received a deed and if you hadn't heard from others I've been more or less "busy" in real life with other things. I'll see about getting this done in the next week.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill
Kira

Post by Kira »

isnt it possible to do it like the christmas presents thingy and do a clear of that specific item wipe?
Birds Nest: 364-322-303
-The Shani Family-
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

Shani wrote:isnt it possible to do it like the christmas presents thingy and do a clear of that specific item wipe?
I'm going to work on this tonight, I have an idea on what I'm going to do, I just need to make sure there's a clean up process and a quick way to do it without, you know causing shard lag.

I'm trying to do things relatively proper going forward if there needs to be any shard scans for an item type such as deeds or canons, there's a process that should be undertaken and unfortunately it's a little more involved than just scanning each facet for every item on it. There's planning involved and a way to execute things so that there's a minimal amount of shard lag when staff need to deal with a specific item type.

Sorry if that does not make adding things speedy but I'll recalculate housing next time 15 of you are online and you can see what doing things the wrong way does, almost unplayable shard for 15-20 minutes.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

As mentioned I was going to begin working on this.

I've begun last night, this is going to be more than just a name change deed introduction however.

I'm rewriting some of Harry Handyman's key functions and the way in which he tracks various things. To clean up character properties I'm moving his statistical tracking info to a globally accessible file which for right now is only being done to move some junk custom properties from being saved on the character and rather in a global data base to keep it short. This has the added effect of eventually at some point if Harry has more important tasks assigned to him, staff can view every character's Harry stats. The more smaller meaningful side effect is it allows me to clean up the character custom properties as there is just a ton of them.

The 'help' style command is going to get a face lift as well, what I'm going to do here is add a Gump to Harry so that if you can't remember all of Harry's commands, you will be able to ask for "help" or "assistance" and a Gump will appear with buttons that will do what his commands do.

Ultimately there's a project I really want to undertake and expand which partially pertains to Harry and his trick and/or treat stuff, Pangaea has a partial achievements system already in place, I want to expand this to give players a Gump they can track all their various achievements and brag about them. Initially I did not actually like the idea of an achievement system in a game that is more RP but Ivan has piqued my interest with a post of his so I'm thinking of the easiest way to add new achievements, in short the best way to add a framework for future achievements to be added, I've not looked much at the achievements pkg but I suspect it is not easy to just add a new achievement or meta achievements. This achievements project will likely wait til I get 099 done as with 099 I am updating the npc death system so we can have individual scripts that are fired when certain npcs die so I will have a check achievement script on npc death that is fired to check to see if the npc is part of an achievement/meta achievement. I'm taking a nod from WoW on this and will have similar categories.

I will stop now but know that this Harry handyman partial rewrite is to also help lay the ground work for a better achievement system later on as one of the things I'd like to track is holiday based events and ones a player has already been involved in in the past. And as a side note I'm already thinking of expanding Halloween stuff for next Halloween, same with Christmas. Just need to come up with character names to place and an auto setup system for holiday events like placing npcs and what not.