nothing but skill loss.

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Richard Mota

nothing but skill loss.

Post by Richard Mota »

yes seems since the shard has come back up ive done nothing but loose skills on my carpenter and am quite disappointed. to decorate and make scrolls i needed the 85 tinkering and itemid i did have that are now dropped. then my mace fighting went from 85 down to 0 in which youd think a carp should know how to use a black staff made of wood. im just wondering where my compensation is for skill i had trained that are wrongfully being removed. perhaps you could move my resistance from 55 to 65 or something.
Ivan

Re: nothing but skill loss.

Post by Ivan »

Go train that resist, it ain't so hard. Usualy on pangaea staff does not compensate for loses that might occur while changes are being made.

Also I think in exchange for mace carpenters got sms and when they dropped the tinkering from carpenter they lowered the carpentry from tinkers. So all in all both of the classes were more or less separated so that they have their own jobs.
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Dropping secondary crafting skills that other merchant get as primary skills, you can thank me for that it was part if an idea to improve markets by narrowing classes such as bowyers from having 85 carpentry from just getting an Indy carpentry cloth. This hurt me as well as my tinker's carpentry was dropped to 65.

Find a tinker or heighten is my suggestion, the idea is to encourage more interaction rather than being able to make a merchant who can do a crafting skill fully such as your carpenter and at the same time be able to craft most if the items a tinker can. It sucks but the classes in terms of merchants at least were setup poorly.

To note, my grandiose idea wasn't just about balancing merchants there were a couple other key new systems I pushed that I had hoped would be implemented that were not, but it was very important to address this weird imbalance of certain merchant classes being able to have access to essentially two crafting skills at max level if that player had an Indy cloth for their secondary skill.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Richard Mota

Post by Richard Mota »

Cyrus Tegyr wrote:Dropping secondary crafting skills that other merchant get as primary skills, you can thank me for that it was part if an idea to improve markets by narrowing classes such as bowyers from having 85 carpentry from just getting an Indy carpentry cloth. This hurt me as well as my tinker's carpentry was dropped to 65.

Find a tinker or heighten is my suggestion, the idea is to encourage more interaction rather than being able to make a merchant who can do a crafting skill fully such as your carpenter and at the same time be able to craft most if the items a tinker can. It sucks but the classes in terms of merchants at least were setup poorly.

To note, my grandiose idea wasn't just about balancing merchants there were a couple other key new systems I pushed that I had hoped would be implemented that were not, but it was very important to address this weird imbalance of certain merchant classes being able to have access to essentially two crafting skills at max level if that player had an Indy cloth for their secondary skill.
dropping a tinkers carpentry is a good thing as one with 95 can make anything someone with 110 can make with enough tries. however like blacksmithy, tailoring, and tinkering 95 of that skill just isnt enough to do what the person in that class can do. 95 tinkering allowed me to make some essays but good luck on obs steeds as repairing them was a nightmare much less trying to make (good luck there) then you have jewels that one would never be able to make a good set of with 95. one could however make simple things to decorate housing minus fine lanterns and things that would need to still be ordered from the tinker. also the tinkering is allowed to make blank scrolls and whatnot that a carp should be able to roll right off.
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

You can still make blank scrolls, find the right wood and more importantly it only takes a skill check of 70 to make blank scrolls of normal boards. Looking at the class guide for carpenters you get 65, go buy yourself a massive cloth.

As for lanterns and deco items tinkers can make, find a tinker that's why we have a class system.

To my count you've lost the ability to make certain decoration items, that's about it since your own words are repairing obsidian mounts and id assume porcelain mounts as well as quality jewelry was nigh impossible. You can still make scrolls.

This change affected more than just one person and class and in the end tightens up some loose ends that needed to be addressed no matter how unpopular.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Richard Mota

Post by Richard Mota »

Cyrus Tegyr wrote:You can still make blank scrolls, find the right wood and more importantly it only takes a skill check of 70 to make blank scrolls of normal boards. Looking at the class guide for carpenters you get 65, go buy yourself a massive cloth.

As for lanterns and deco items tinkers can make, find a tinker that's why we have a class system.

To my count you've lost the ability to make certain decoration items, that's about it since your own words are repairing obsidian mounts and id assume porcelain mounts as well as quality jewelry was nigh impossible. You can still make scrolls.

This change affected more than just one person and class and in the end tightens up some loose ends that needed to be addressed no matter how unpopular.
shouldnt have to get a cloth to make something the carpenter should be able to make naturally. this is why the carp was set with 85 tink to begin with. 85 tinkering isnt enough to make jewels or mounts efficiently or anything like that. a carp should be able to do what he is meant to do without the "children" wondering why his skills are the way they are without having a carp.
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Well the carpenter is able to make everything they should be and a tinker likewise.

If your concern is carpenters can't make scrolls, that's tinker's business, it always has been way back on a little shard called World of Dreams which Pangaea's creators used as their platform. Now if the question is why does making blank scrolls use tinkering and not carpentry? That's a different issue that we can discuss.

As for needing a cloth to make items that a class should be able to make, I totally agree and challenge someone to find a bowyer who wants to make an exceptional O'hii composite bow without a cloth, that's the broken class here not carpenters. Carpenters don't get me wrong have a huge downside and I've posted ideas to address some of these downsides but they were rejected by staff and players, some of whom I assume have or had carpenters at the time, it's been a few years since I posted that idea.

As I said I feel your pain I've got a tinker who lost her 85 carpentry but in the end it tightens up the merchant classes.