Post by Johnny Walac »

Release the Pangaea script.
Order of Nature - Telborea- The Britannian Trade Union - ICQ: 434212709
PvP Video 1
PvP Video 2
Cyrus Tegyr

Re: Yearly Updates

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Johnny Walac wrote:Release the Pangaea script.
At this point, I agree with this.

I'm sure there's a lot to be done but if this is thrown into an open source style project, there might be some of us willing to sit down and fix bugs and implement other improvements.Anyone can edit cfg files for fixing things like loot pools and nondescript files so I mean at this point, if our scripted isn't willing to work on things or allow other staff to work on things, let some of the players do it, helping out in a meaningful way requires shard files (barring the pcs.txt and accounts.txt files). Sure some might break off and try to start a shard but most people here, much like I'm certain the current staff (you know what I'm talking about and if you don't read one of my other posts regarding the religion system redo), have no idea what is involved in running a full time shard, even one with the "pedigree" that Pangaea was built on. It's not just start a shard up and good to go.

Most of the stuff even including the class system and how it is set up is not even exclusive to Pangaea, I've seen other shards that predate Pangaea that have the same basic file structure as Pangaea's class system. Everything else barring the mods to some of the systems such as housing is not exclusive to Pangaea either and even those mods are hardly anything spectacular to do.

A post from any staff would be helpful here to confirm or deny what I've heard through the grape vine supposedly originating from one of the staff, that Blckfire is MIA and no one has been able to contact him for a while now?
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Malron

Post by Malron »

Agree with Cyrus. Any new religion package work is useless at this point unless it can be released by end of week.

Have to do something or hand over the reins to someone who can.
blckfire
Scripter

Post by blckfire »

Cyrus Tegyr wrote: Blckfire is MIA and no one has been able to contact him for a while now?
He's still around, just doesn't bother to reply to posts asking for updates.

Where it concerns the Pangaea script, you'll have to go to Irming. I don't own the code I only work on it and I'll not release anything without Irming's approval.

A small update concerning Religions:
I still haven't gave up and whenever I find the time I dig into it and advance a bit. But I currently don't have the time to be a whole day or even more than 1h in front of the computer. So, development happens in small bursts. Not ideal but it still advances. A few weeks ago I release a few bug fixes for problems that were kinda annoying.

Concerning the future:
I'd like to remind everybody that if you decide that you want to go back to a Pangaea with the old religion system you can say goodbye to all the bug fixing done so far for problems that existed for ages and in one side constantly crashed the server and on the other created huge lag spikes making it impossible to play the game.

I understand how everybody feels about religions, I'm also not happy with the current situation and wished I could deploy it faster, but the truth is that free time for coding is really hard to come by these days. I'll be honest and say that my main mission as developer for Pangaea was to revamp religions and everything that revolves around it. At this point I'll give my mission as completed once we arrive to stage 3 of the religions development at that point I'll be more than happy to pass the "burden" to somebody else.

All said, it's the community decision where they want to go, if you'd like to have a server setup with the old religion system + all the bugs, stability and lag problems it's really easy to do. The drawback is that you'll just suffer a huge time-warp, since I'll not do the work of moving all the characters and convert them into the old format, or an item wipe, or, if you want, we can even just delete everything and start from 0. Another thing is, I can't really redo all the work I've done so far there and ofc support would be kept to a minimum (not that it could go down by much :p).

As conclusion, if you choose this path I'd like to remind you that you'll be stuck in time until the new version of Pangaea's religion system arrives. I'm also not going to keep the two versions running since the community is already small and that would then split it even more. IMO, I'd keep the course we are on and although not optimal I think it would give us the best chances on keeping Pangaea alive, bringing the old game back could possible bring activity but for how long? as we seen in the past people just come and go with or without religions.
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Well, if you have a way to contact him, you can put in a word, I'd reluctantly help out with stuff where I can, or just ask him if you could throw it into an open source style project on git to allow people to help out on things.

With your admittedly slow pace, you really need some help on this, I've not the best knowledge but I'm a fairly quick learner and have done quite a bit for what is essentially a hobby for me.

If you're wanting help I'll help but there has to be give and take on both sides here, if you really want to know why I have been pissed off most about this whole situation is because when I was first asked if I'd help IRL issues were eating up much of my time, dog just had major surgery and needed months of rehab and daily care, then I was in the hospital for a week not to long after that with what has turned into something very crappy. Then I approached you to help and was told to work on standalone stuff without the scriptbase to ensure everything worked, after sending you off the carpet stuff, I had this feeling that I was being strung along,tried to press the importance of needing the scriptbase which apparently fell on deaf ears and that was kind of the final straw. Then I find out that because of my work with and on Avalon this was a deciding factor in not letting me work with a local copy, that was that. If this is still a stumbling block, then Fuck it I won't bother and this can continue the way it's going and I'll continue submitting shit to the pol community and take on side jobs and scripting my ideas I've posted low these many years, but I was told by another staff member about my past being an issue, kind of surprised me since Willie was working on Avalon and Pangaea simultaneously at some point.

If you want my help and potentially others, we all have a vested interest here and as I said many times before cfg files can be worked on by anyone, src and inc files are a different breed but I know there's shit such as loot while not your priority could be hammered out by if not a trusted few counselors, the two other staff members who may or may not be still floating around these parts. I've helped run two shards in the past so I know it's difficult for one person to do everything so delegation of some of the work is your answer here.

I've people messaging me saying this is the death knell of Pangaea because how it currently sits but it doesn't have to be. Ask irming for the go ahead and delegate some of this work off to others.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Johnny Walac

Post by Johnny Walac »

Johnny Walac wrote:Release the Pangaea script.
Order of Nature - Telborea- The Britannian Trade Union - ICQ: 434212709
PvP Video 1
PvP Video 2
Arion

Post by Arion »

Excuses... thats all I hear, It seems apparent we all want a religion system back. What's the problem with implementing what we had and just working on it in that hour a week you have? You said we'd have to time warp back but why, was the scripting not saved? You just said fuck it and wiped it all? Do something or give up scripts. I'm with Johnny lets fix this and soon. As a matter on how long we'd have members you'd see alot of of people come back I'd assume and we'd have a much more consistent playerbase than what we've had. Enough with excuses get results or let someone else do it. You have people willing to help take some of the burden off let them do it for the love of pang dont kill it off with this procrastination.

Shoulda never mentioned shard crashing because thats already an issue I think we'd all be much more happier with a shard that crashed that had the same old fun we used to have rather than the endless training and bs the few of us left do. Shouldn't take YEARS to fix what wasn't really that broken....

You'd think with the negative feedback you'd change course of action usually when im doing something wrong or going in the wrong direction I redirect, maybe it's time for you to reevaluate the situation and do whats best for pang because the course you're running now is simply just not working. Yearly updates usually include on whats being updated and how so not just simply saying im working on this or that. Let us know whats being worked on and why it's taking so damn long give us a clue to whats going on because you've basically left everyone in the dark.
Quintoz

Post by Quintoz »

I would probably play abit if the save was reverted to pre-wipe and everything was restored to that point. There was no point playing when the project progress became stale and nothing has changed since then.

Stop the cuckening on Pang #MakePangGreat
Malron

Post by Malron »

You would be playing mostly alone if there is a character wipe/time warp at this point. The active community will mostly depart should that occur. Blckfire or the next admin would have to transfer characters and skills of the players who have stuck around waiting and training. And he has stated he will not. That would be the end from those I have talked to about it. Too many hours given, far more than an "hour here and there".

An item wipe is fine, a skill/character wipe to make a religious pvp shard is not.