Yearly Updates

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Gurrnutt Venomblade

Re: Yearly Updates

Post by Gurrnutt Venomblade »

We can all talk till we're blue in the face, I dont see anyone stepping up besides Cyrus to help. Again its easy for the people who left a long time ago to say "F8ck it I dont care about a time warp" but most of us which is more then 12 I might add will stop playing. There has to be a middle ground, absolutely no reason why we can transfer current chars back to old pang.

But all BS aside we would need to be staffed as stated prior by many people, and a plan in place. At this point we have none.
Jaskier Huntley

Post by Jaskier Huntley »

Glarundis wrote:The thing is all those people (and I wonder if really, there are those many) refuse to play with the pangaea we have now, just because of the lack of religions, as if we couldn't do stuff without religions. But we've discussed this for a good bit already.
I refuse to play without religions.Pang is one of a kind thanks to them.Just saying.
Johnny Walac

Post by Johnny Walac »

Jaskier Huntley wrote:
Glarundis wrote:The thing is all those people (and I wonder if really, there are those many) refuse to play with the pangaea we have now, just because of the lack of religions, as if we couldn't do stuff without religions. But we've discussed this for a good bit already.
I refuse to play without religions.Pang is one of a kind thanks to them.Just saying.
Yeap. There are many reasons why Pangaea is dead atm but No Religions On Pang is the big one.
Order of Nature - Telborea- The Britannian Trade Union - ICQ: 434212709
PvP Video 1
PvP Video 2
Talerco Pious

Post by Talerco Pious »

Anything yet?
I whine, therefore I am
Johnny Walac

Post by Johnny Walac »

Just the original religions would be cool.
Order of Nature - Telborea- The Britannian Trade Union - ICQ: 434212709
PvP Video 1
PvP Video 2
Quintoz

Post by Quintoz »

@Boris what is dead may never die

Stop the cuckening on Pang #MakePangGreat
Jaskier Huntley

Post by Jaskier Huntley »

Years are passing and i'm still wondering how it's possible that Boris and c.o had so little support when things gone bad while this staff still has the credit of trust when it's clearly a dead end.
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Jaskier Huntley wrote:Years are passing and i'm still wondering how it's possible that Boris and c.o had so little support when things gone bad while this staff still has the credit of trust when it's clearly a dead end.
I am at that point, I have my differences with how Pangaea is run now and how it was run in the past, I've offered three or four times now but I have one condition that must be met which is hardly a big ask considering I'd be contributing and I've talked to past scripters who have had this one condition met when they were scripting or co-scripting for the shard but for some reason still left unclear to me, im not apparently good enough to have a local copy of Pangaea I can work with so I can submit bug fixes, work with the actual script base to script new things.

In all honesty at this point while I still login to fill orders and build skill, the only way I would be interested in scripting for Pangaea is if there was a new team, Boris can jump on board but I clearly have the trust to do map work for Pangaea and basically take on that project myself, when it comes to scripting I guess I'm the great plague that has to be avoided, I'm fairly amenable and polite I think if I'm treated relatively like a part of the team but this has not been the case so I opted to script on my own terms things I want to script and yes, at this point I'm looking at my own project and have been for a few months now I won't make bones about that anymore. But I'd put that on the sidelines to do stuff for Pangaea and yet barring the first time when I had to refuse due to personal real life issues with health and other more pertinent emergencies in my life, I've asked and feel I've been shot down because there is a trust issue with me I guess from this current regime.

I'm not trying to be a dick here but I don't see why there is this issue, Willie scripted for Avalon AND Pangaea which I have on good authority simultaneously, and if any of you know the history of Avalon, should see there is a clear conflict of interest there. My project uses NOTHING from Pangaea or any of it's reincarnations.

So at this point anything I script that I plan to release, will be publicly available to anyone from the Pangaea staff and the POL community including stuff I've already submitted and accepted into the Distro. While not perfect nor the best programmer or scripter I'm amazingly able to get things done albeit slower than probably others but still quicker than others if you've seen my "Dinking around with POL" thread.

That is my peace said on my end again and make no bones about it, don't and I know you didn't Jaskier, but I will say it, I'm not staff here, never have been staff here, though I have worked with two shards that used the Pangaea script base so am relatively familiar with it so I have some bonafides when it comes to working with an albeit older version of Pangaea, I just want to be clear, I'm not staff, just a player trying to help out where I can that has been scorned on multiple occasions, if this drags out too much longer I'm not sure if my project will become something I won't want to put on hold, not a threat but the truth. There are things I'm scripting I know will never see the light of day on Pangaea and if I advance too far into those, I can almost guarantee, I'll be done trying to help out. I'd remain a player unless/until my account is closed for scornful reasons here but when it comes to scripting stuff for Pangaea that boat will have sailed.

I know many of the players I've talked to want to see me put in some capacity a staff role to help script to keep the shard relatively going forward but my hands are tied, I've tried three past staff to get a local copy and those failed, rightly so as it is no longer their job to keep Pangaea going but this current staff is just not even dragging their feet, they're in a tar pit slowly sinking and accepting the help I've and Kevin (at least I don't believe they've accepted his offer to help) offered.

(My map work has halted obviously, if the current staff isn't interested in being proactive, I see no point in me spending hours on a map that won't see the light of day on this shard*, which is really disappointing but I'm not a great believer in wasting my time on projects I don't believe will benefit our community here, if my project gets off the ground I'll just use the map there and fret not, I'll gladly pull out any work that past staff have done to the map so that I'm not using any of Pangaea's "precious work" as I've avoided doing with my scripting so that I won't be labeled a thief, I'm just sick of this shit to be quite honest, all the petty issues the current staff apparently seem to have with me and I believe when I say current staff, it really comes down to one person who promised the moon but barely delivered rocks. It sounds harsh and probably dickish but the more I respond to this thread the more animosity I feel toward the situation at hand.)
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Just so you know, my tone in my latest reply to this thread, is in no way directed toward you (Jaskier) or the other players.

I have my differences with Boris but I would be willing to work with Boris and one other person hopefully to get Pangaea back on track.

I would opt for a continuation of the religions as they were and slowly transition into a new religion system IF it is viable to do so through RP and of course technical scripting processes. I don't necessarily think the old religion system is a deal breaker but I would try to push as I have done in the past to remove the need for piety and foci chiefly for two reasons:

1.) Piety is the great unbalancer of religions, I think it is wholly antiquated to hold certain characters to a higher standard of play and RP because they chose to play a tome user. I would opt for it being pure skill based and when it comes time for me to script my own religion system it will be just that (note my rites list is incomplete and I am coming at this from a religion system that is not yet scripted but borrows aspects including power words and rite names from Journey's End's religion system which is exactly what Nutsak used for Pangaea but again will be completely written by myself and not use anything from other resources I have at my repertoire but I would opt for a more condensed tome if possible to remove the more less useful rites and when possible such as with Holy Word which would be a new rite, benefit allies of the player (party members and fellow religion members) when cast on those players and hurt enemies (non party members and enemy religion members) when cast on them). I make no bones that I have never liked Piety as a "hidden" skill, which I am sure you already know from past posts by myself because it is completely untrainable and allows for certain players to achieve higher peaks than others based on their standing in a religion/RP skills/camaraderie with staff/other cliques in the religion. Even when I was pretty well liked by Vaux and Troy when Vaux was in charge of Imperial and felt pretty good about my 40 piety, I always felt this was just a shitty way to handle religions, everyone shard wise should be held to the same standard as everyone else when it comes to following the rules which encompasses RP.

2.) Foci just need to go, when we are talking about macroing which is always a thorn in the paw of some and comes up every 6 months to a year, replacing foci with Tithing which requires no macroing but proactive money making hopefully through the sale of loot and other spoils from PVP or PVM, it would cut out those stupid two to three hour macroing sessions we all know and love when the religion needed to make a fuck ton of foci for everyone. It removes the burden of the entire religion and puts in the hands of the individual the responsibility to manage his own "reagent" management as it is something that would be scripted that anyone can do at the altar.

And finally my comment about time being an important factor in getting me to help, there is probably a decently big window of opportunity that I am willing to help, I still have to finish up my version of a class system, a religion system and the crafting and resource gathering system I want to have before I feel comfortable about even going live (though I could use testers for like my housing system right now), some of the crafting is already done as I started on it before i started working on my class system but as I near completion of these projects, I am not sure I would be willing to help unless miraculously I can put them into play on Pangaea, particularly the crafting and resource gathering ideas, which in terms of resource gathering is going to be mainly based on what we all know from Pangaea but mining will be changed slightly to be less about just gathering ores and more about exploration of combining different metals to create stronger and better metals. Alchemy on the other hand on my end will be a lot less tedious but will require the alchemist to actually learn recipes, in terms of adding this alchemy system to Pangaea I am not married to the potion type name classifications in the doc about but definitely want alchemy to be less tedious to do and also introducing Transmutations and large batch potion making. I know it sounds like a lot of work but with someone(s) who are willing to diligently work on stuff like this to improve the merchant classes for a fucking change it would not be a huge deal and in terms of the gump work, that is already done I did that already and every skill would use the same identical gump as any other merchant class save for possibly scribes who would keep their current gump but ideally I would prefer every class to be uniform in this as it would allow for in terms of scribes, additional items that can be made from a gump rather than how they are made now such as runebooks where you have to target four different resources, it is tedious to do a lot of things with many of the merchant classes and as we are an aging population of UO players, the less tediousness involved in doing something with a skill the better.

I also have a ton of other little things I have scripted that I would probably be more than interested in dropping into Pangaea, most not really game changing but would offer the players more things to collect. (scroll to the far right side in the "Done" category, those are sufficiently completed and completely scripted by me, this is my project page to help keep me on track for completing different aspects of my project, which is yet unnamed, naming a shard is kind of tough and don't want to use what was suggested to me by a player from Pangaea; "Pangaea: a New Beginning" as while I am using ideas I have seen as a player from Pangaea, I am not using any code used by Pangaea and plus, I don't want there to be any perceived connection on my part with Pangaea.)

Sorry for the long post, but finally, I am completely serious about any work I have done on the map, I know some people were looking forward to seeing it live on Pangaea but I am getting to the point where after two years of trying to help the current staff reignite their spark and push them forward as a player, I just could care less about it going live on Pangaea and would rather put it on my project if it goes live or just upload it somewhere for other shards to use, call it spiteful but I think we have all been treated like shit by this staff promising the moon and not delivering in a timely fashion.

Edit - well fuck, this was supposed to be a PM but I guess in my fit of frustration while typing my previous post it is now in the public, so you all know where I stand on religions if you did not know, crafting, resource gathering and my little project and where I am at and progressing with it. I will apologize for this being a publicly made post as it was not intended as such and for "openly" albeit accidentally, advertising my little project.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Quintoz

Post by Quintoz »

Jaskier Huntley wrote:Years are passing and i'm still wondering how it's possible that Boris and c.o had so little support when things gone bad while this staff still has the credit of trust when it's clearly a dead end.
My guess is that people don't want to lose their gains, that they got while afk, not playing the game.

Stop the cuckening on Pang #MakePangGreat