Tracking Progress.

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Glarundis

Re: Tracking Progress.

Post by Glarundis »

GM Oden wrote:We are missing the .src for a number of key files and have been for quite sometime since Blckfire was given the shard.
Erm.. why was blckfire given a broken copy?
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

Glarundis wrote:
GM Oden wrote:We are missing the .src for a number of key files and have been for quite sometime since Blckfire was given the shard.
Erm.. why was blckfire given a broken copy?
You can ask Irming and past staff as to why they kept their shard without sending a copy of it to Irming when they were done.

There's a ton of bugs that should never have been there and a few things missing that I know were live and running at the end of the last run.

I think the missing files comes down to one of three things:
1.) Data failure at the archive level where most of the data was recovered but not all.
2.) Sabotage from past staff pulling out certain source files.
3.) Accidental deletion of src files either at the archival level or shard runner level and the archived version was deleted and replaced with the faulty version.

I'm opting for number 3, based on the state of some of the file structures, chiefly dot commands, there's been at least one person who does not understand certain simple aspects of how POL handles dot commands. I have both the original copy sent to blckfire and a copy of the live copy from September or August probably and both versions have the same poor file structure and misunderstanding of how dot commands work so I suspect one of these past regimes deleted certain files they never should have. Not pointing fingers nor speculating but that is the state we're at now and I plan to fix what I can which will likely be a long term goal but worthwhile.

Staff levels at least will be getting a huge dot command overhaul and I'm sure there's dot commands in the player folder we can trim out as well so I will likely run through there. I'm certain there's commands in there you guys have no idea are present and those will be trimmed out likely. But this will begin at the end of January at the earliest I hope as I'm working on the guard and religion issue now and hope to get old religions in by then and then move toward 099 then we can really dig into new religions and everything else.

I've been very critical of the almost lackadaisical feeling of indecision but we've got a plan, it's not ideal for you guys but there's a plan and we will trudge through. I've focused more than just the last two weeks as an example at recovering lost or missing files which included contacting past staff (scripted to be exact, I spoke to three of them) one lost their copy in a hard drive crash and the other two pretty noncommittal. I spent easily a month in total while working on stuff and trying to hunt down contacts and contact info for these people.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill
Emirien

Post by Emirien »

GM Oden wrote:-snipped- He is hammering away at other ecl files I've sent him and am hoping we'll get the same results!
Sounds good to me! Keep us posted man and hell, if he fixes the files then thats xmas wrapped up nicely :D
-Eric Shadowblade

688 831 885
-Brit
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

Ya. This is if I haven't said it before, a huge pot hole filled on the way to upgrading us to 099.

There's clean up to do on these files but it's a lot better to clean up than to rewrite unknown functionality.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

Added a few new cards to Trello but in short they are:

- Guard fix and update
- decompile all ecls currently missing src files
- religion stuff
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

Plague should be fixed once blckfire pulls my updates into the shard.

Note: if you drank a potion or played around with plague in anyway while it was not working, you may login and be plagued, call it a delayed sickness.

Pushed various other random fixes to blckfire.

Working on something 'uge so will likely call upon a few of you Guinea pigs for testing hopefully within a week or so. It's going to be a month or two endeavour I hope only a month but I want to make sure things are tested and working properly before I push the kit and caboodle onto blckfire.
Jaskier Huntley

Post by Jaskier Huntley »

Sorry for offtopic but im outdated.Is there any ETA for religions to kick in and will they be in the oldskool way?What was wrong with them again?
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

The ETA has been pushed back a month to end of February.

Here's the long and short of it, I spent 3 hours Monday night working on new functionality for casting which will be rolled out initially for religious casting then slowly into every other casting system on the shard. The annoyance I ran into was, after three hours I discovered what I was aiming was impossible to do under 096.

I spoke with other POL community members and POL Core developers and they recommended just biting the bullet and going to 099 sooner rather than later as scripting under 096 only to move to 099 later will only result in more work in the long run.

So, religions which I had planned to roll out the old version mixed with new stuff so we can get that out and tested, by the end of January, I've opted to move that to end of February. I've been a little hesitant to give a firm definite on a deadline cause I don't want to hit unforeseen stumbling blocks and have to come back to disappoint you guys with bad news but I'm going to try my hardest to get them if not fully rolled out live at least in testing by end of January.

I feel I'm the only staffer working on this shard so decisions will likely be made crowd sourcing players thoughts on how to better balance and tweak old religion system. I'll be likely replacing 4 rites and possibly a couple more.
Talerco Pious

Post by Talerco Pious »

Malleus/Keening and Veritas need a nerf

Edit: Give priests mauls back to balance things out
I whine, therefore I am
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

Everything compiles under 099 as of this morning.

Now I need to work on key issues they've changes dealing with container stuff and a couple other things I need to change. Means reading through the changelog

After these are done I need to move custom items from a number range up to a higher number range.