Tracking Progress.

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

GM Oden

Re: Tracking Progress.

Post by GM Oden »

I'll make a change.

If the person trying to carve the corpse is not the master, I'll prevent them from doing it then. I don't believe my changes have gone live yet anyway, so I'll make the additional check tonight and submit the later changes.

I honestly don't know why you would cut up your animals corpse if you had intent of ressing it anyway, there seems to be no trade off so in sticking with everyone's favorite rule of thumb on Pangaea and a good one to remember when it comes to economics; "There is no such thing as a free lunch." You want the hides and bones from your tamed animal, you make the sacrifice in losing it.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill
aldath c'om

Post by aldath c'om »

good fix. but theres still chance of accidents when client dont allways show the names of corpses and theres a pile of corpses.
291-697-526
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

aldath c'om wrote:good fix. but theres still chance of accidents when client dont allways show the names of corpses and theres a pile of corpses.
I'll add a check I guess to hold players hands with a continue cancel Gump.

Onto the 099 conversion:
- Scripted a Gem Quality system that for right now is going to be disabled but will be easy to turn on if we ever want to implement it.

- All weapons currently on Pangaea have been made flippable.

- Added Talisman item definitions for future reference, unfortunately a couple I want to add are only equipable by gargoyles so I didn't add those.

- Pulled Necromancy items not available to players from the shard, this will have no impact on players but means slightly less work when I start really converting.

- Added quivers to the shard for future reference, I really want to make these a thing for archers and rangers, we can discuss this elsewhere at a later time.

- New bow type added, the Yumi, short bows and long bows now have their own unique graphic.

Apologies on this work, I know it literally has nothing to do with conversion but this is the perfect opportunity to clean up the shard and pull out stuff we've never used or no longer use for one reason or another and to restructure shard folders and files for much easier finding of things. This work will also ultimately lead to a new in game tool for staff for finding commands and items which ultimately will make our lives a tad bit easier.

Oh started work on an update to dot options and the moongate system so hopefully those can be done by the time the conversion goes live.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill
aldath c'om

Post by aldath c'om »

GM Oden wrote: - New bow type added, the Yumi, short bows and long bows now have their own unique graphic.
when can i craft one?
291-697-526
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

aldath c'om wrote:
GM Oden wrote: - New bow type added, the Yumi, short bows and long bows now have their own unique graphic.
when can i craft one?
It'll go in when I've completed what I'm sure seems more and more like a boondoggle to you guys that is the conversion. :D
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

Ok, new goodies to announce.

Down to a total of 31 scripts not compiling, for the most part I know exactly what these are and am currently just too damn lazy to fix it :D but they will be fixed cause I know you guys want your precious houses and what not to function.

Religions
Taking a little bit of the old and a little bit of the new, I have decided to rebuild the altar gump, screen shots of which can be seen on the discord Pangaea channel, they are from gump studio so the red denotes a transparent background, I like transparent backgrounds on large gumps so the user can still see some of the game world.

Took the newer canon script I had written for the new religion system and adapted it to work with the old system, there is still work to be done on religions but I got bored with converting and fiddling. I need to still write the new canon functionality so that instead of the properties (general information such as rites contained in, piety of canon, owner of canon and other stuff stored specifically on the canon) be stored globally instead of locally on the canon. This is to let two things occur, allow staff to be able to make changes to anyone's canon should the need arise without having to fiddle about trying to hunt down the character in the current clunky system and the other reason is to give Head Priests the ability to levy temporary punishment onto those in the religion who step out of line whether in an RP manner or other way which is not conducive to a well oiled machine. In short, give Palimpsest an actual use as opposed to now. Canons will however change in a maybe big way, when you create a tome, it is done at the altar, when the player uses the freshly created canon, if he does not have a tome already bound to that current character, he will be asked if he wishes to bind this canon to this character, if he does then that is the only canon he can use. I plan on putting in a way to unbind one canon from a character to use another one but it is likely going to be in a way that the old canon gets destroyed. There will still be the ability to store canons within the religion temple but they will essentially sit in limbo unfilled until a character is able to utilize them. This is mainly for practical reasons but also I like the idea of new members having to go through the process of filling their canon, which they will be able to do up to a point. Obviously it will fall on the rest of the religion like it used to to help fill the canon the rest of the way.

Foci creation will be moved out of canons and onto the altar, this system will not only free up at least one rite spot but again at least when I was in a religion, it always was done at the temple anyway with groups of us. I feel this is not that big of a change as most people stockpile extra foci in their house or bank for future reference anyway so it just means you will need to be astute and keep track of your foci supply. I feel this is also an RP change as you are essentially asking your deity to sanctify this resource into something other than it's raw material form so it ought to be done at the "holy of holiest" religious site, your temple.

Symbol Creation is to be done at the altar as well, again, see other reasons above for this. I might make a slight change to this but we will see, I know I want to adjust the material cost slightly on making a holy symbol, I feel it might be a little too steep or at least I seem to remember there being a large enough gap between tinkers wands and holy symbols and I am not sure which way the winds were blowing so one of those, crafted wands or holy symbols will be put at relative parity with each other in terms of their ingot cost.

I have some new rite ideas to replace some of the ones above and also some other ones I would like to rethink. You'll just have to wait til I unveil these as they will require a bit of design and testing, two of which I know will require a utility npc if I want them to work the way I want them to work. I am quite excited about getting done with this conversion process and getting into ripping apart the religion stuff, the good news here is everything in the religions compile but I want to change the casting system for the rite system and all other casting systems, just the religion system is the current white elephant in the room missing from the shard so I want to get this going before i fiddle about with the other casting systems.

------
The Road to 099
The walk continues, had a bit of a break last week thanks to the real world but managed to get quite a bit finished, along with the conversion process I have also opted to update certain things so that we have a little more information in game or more "updated" pkgs that make adding stuff to the shard a little more easy.
- I started on the help system, the paging of counselors and staff. Currently the counselor portion is not done yet but the other thing I will need help from counselors on is getting the additional information section finished. This will essentially consist of txt documents written up and html tagged for formatting purposes which I then shove into a gump so that there is as much information in game as possible that the player new and old can access. For a list of what I believe I want to have information wise is as follows:
- Rules & Behavior
- Weapon Skill List
- 0-65 skill guide (if I get permission I might just push a 0-100 in instead do if someone wants to put together a good list and format them, I could use one for just 0-65 and one for 0-100)
- Current Counselors (and their contact information (icq, discord, skype, whatever else you feel comfortable handing out in the public ether))
- Staff information (Current staff, their contact information)
- Player Commands (and their uses)

With just those listed above I can fit about 10 maybe 13 other helpful informational documents in there to help with the learning curve that Pangaea has or just store general information even the veterans sometimes need to refer to within the game itself.

- New Death system, fear not nothing that you will notice but this allows us to create and execute a little easier, specific effects on an NPC's death, think trolls and the horrible fire shtuff.

- Mounts stuff has been improved slightly, which should in the future give us more flexability in scripting additional effects and properties of mounts.

- Cleaned up a bit of legacy code, as an example, there is no need to cycle through an array of stuff just to select a piece of information from that array.

- Broke down all equipment type into their respective pkgs, added all direction facings of weapons to the weapon description file currently available on Pangaea so those will all be flippable. Next will be armor types so they are all flippable.

ToDo still:
- Finish writing the method scripts for all the different items which if done properlike will allow me to replace the large case statement and if...elseif....elseif... functions which returns as an example whether an item is a piece of Armor or not.

- Fix the container specific scripts to have all the new parameters they want even if not used. This will be a nice undertaking as I plan to do this when I push the big item data base into Pangaea which will give you guys a hell of a lot more items to work with and play with. (here's to hoping I don't bork anything up!)

- Pull Druid and Necro staves from needing to be equipped to cast their respective spells.

Long Term ToDo:
- Religions, I spoke with a few players about this topic, I have opted to before I push the 099 core update to Blckfire, to get religions going and mostly tested so that everything just comes in a nice neat bow.

- Newer Client Selection, along with getting religions on the up and up, because switching to a new client is not just as easy as 1, 2, 3, I will need to get Pangaea ready to use the newer client so we can just move smoothly over to that. This has a few added benefits including bug fixes and hopefully better connection for some players experiencing lag but ultimately this will give us the ability to script additional things just not currently available to our client and I know you all like new things.

- I would like to get the crafting gumps done and dusted before we move to 099 live BUT that will be a goodly undertaking that I am not sure I would be able to ask you guys wait for, I know I have spent far too long working on this stuff than you all probably wanted me to so for right now it is not in the cards unless something changes my mind, like I find out it is not as difficult as I had intended.

The Curtain Falls
When this is complete and because of the shift in religion stuff, moving to 099 will occur a little later than I had planned but this will give me time to test and make sure the changes I have made thus far do not cause any weird funkiness. I won't commit myself to a definitive I will be done phase but I need to finalize a few things still before I go full steam into the religion headache.

So I ask for patience, you can still hurl insults at me but I hurl things back and if you are in doubt of some of this stuff I have made note of, keep your eyes to the ground and your ears peeled because I do post screen shots of stuff. You can find the altar information in txt format in Pangaea's main discord channel since the forums here do not let me post txt files as well as screen shots of non in game images of the new altar layout.
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

Update:
Possible stability issue identified, I won't go into details but in short someone liberally peppered shard scripts with a function that if used in improper ways may cause the shard to go into infinite loops, thus making the shard unresponsive. I will be fixing this, apologies on the duration of things are taking. Conversion is pretty much done just wrapping up the following:

- Code optimization and consolidation
- Item definitions moved about which is about done.
- Item database update, this will bring in a huge number of items that can then be made craftable, loot and or found in other ways on Pangaea*
- Religions which I started a little bit on last week, redesigning altar Gump just need to plug in and script it's functionality.

Things I'd like to do before moving over to 099 for testing and live if you guys will let me.:
- Replace attributes stuff with the current attributes pkg.
- Get crafting gumps and system done. This will be I believe light work on the scripting side as I'm planning on dropping in my crafting system. The only thing not scripted is elite weapon stuff but I'd like to discuss with some crafter centric players about this system, without showing my hand I'd like to change it somewhat.
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

+ Added new weapons, waiting for Vulcan to damage them out before they're finalized.
+ Added methods for many many items, making them easier to reference script side plus for things such as weapons allows us to identify weapons by multiple types such as piercing, slashing, bashing, pole arm, metal or wooden weapons easier than casing out list of objtypes.
+ Spell scripts organized by type and circle.
+ Druid and Necro staves pulled from requirement for casting druid and Necro spells. Necro and Druid staves pulled completely with intent of adding them back in at a later date under a different name as a quest or artifact specific item with potential added functionality.
+ Skinning knives no longer the bowlers tool of trade, this was replaced with a fetching kit. Re-purposing of skinning knife likely under way if I can manage it.
+ Hatchet set as only lumberjacking tool.
To-do:
- If I can pull apart the kludge that is the bladed script and move their functionality over to their individual scripts or pkg.
- Finish reorganization of the magic.Inc file into more manageable bits and add additional framework for new casting system to come later.

Just a few things done and to come.
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

OK before I review the many updates I've posted here to check my findings. I will say all but one thing is done in terms of the 099 picture, moving item numbers around.

Here's stuff I've done over the last few days:
+ Secure container script is now obsolete and will only be left around to seamlessly change existing secures to the new script but beyond this there is no script switching with secure containers going forward. I will test this on the weekend and fix any immediate issues but this offers you, the player, the following:
Clients will no longer crash if a container is open and is secured or unsecured.
No longer need to secure or unsecure empty containers only.

+ Added replacement lever and trap package, needs some work still but it will allow for an easier time in setting up traps and levers.

+ Redesigned a whole host of gumps.

+ Replaced old containers pkg with my own, this is where going forward all locked and secure container stuff will be checked when a container is used.

- Need to Pangaea-fy the corpse use script

+ Hopefully moved all mounted functionality to mounts pkg which again came from my shard and was modified heavily to add all current known mount types to date that I know of.

Next on the agenda:
Begin moving in a huge item database I started awhile ago.

Start the item number moves post item database update.

Get back to religions! I haven't forgotten :D

Future Post Conversion and religions:
Move over to a new attributes system.

Get new crafting gumps in

Script and replace bulk order deeds to replace jobs system.

Script mail system which will be a huge bonus for a shard without access to player vendors.

Look at player vendors to see if we can make them available to players.
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

appreciate the work and all, but

name change deed :'(