Christmas present borked

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

GM Oden

Christmas present borked

Post by GM Oden »

I'll fall on my sword for this one, don't make any candy canes just yet, I think my auto complete function in scite capitalized the property that it is looking for. If anyone made canes I will fix them. An update kind of an emergency hot fix I guess was sent to blckfire.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill
GM Oden

Re: Christmas present borked

Post by GM Oden »

OK, I pushed a fix for both candy canes and the holiday system.

The stocking was changed ever so slightly, those plants will make an appearance at a more convenient time. I replaced all the plant goodies with other goodies that unfortunately do not stack but should be pretty filling. The wreath remains and should be flippable once blckfire accepts the fixes.

The issue with the holiday thing was such a stupid mistake which caused the value I was retrieving to be equal to 0, that is why people were getting multiple presents on logging in everytime.

My apologies again, I feel really shitty about the whole thing, sometimes it's the simple things that have huge ramifications.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill
Emirien

Post by Emirien »

So we get xmas gifts or not?

Just wondering cause i just logged in and.. no gift :/
-Eric Shadowblade

688 831 885
-Brit
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

I pushed the fix both to holiday pkg and Christmas present, the I'm awaiting blckfire to put them in.
blckfire
Scripter

Post by blckfire »

Christmas presents are up and running the code merge was successfull and everything seems to be working fine.

I was travelling yesterday so I only managed to push the changes live today.

Enjoy the Holidays! More cool stuff coming soon...
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

Fixed the skill gain thing, update pushed.

Here is the break down of what occurred, I take partial blame on this but have to put blame on the person who originally added this check into the ring script in the first place and I say ring script because literally nothing was changed by me on the ring script except the name of the file which I only did for clarity reasons.

The run down of what occurs currently and why old presents will display the proper skill is as follows:
- A ring (or now candy cane) is created
- The old present places 1 property that is shared between all created items, that is the player's serial id number which allows only that character to use the item. There is an exception however, the skill gain ring (now candy cane) is created with a second property. This property tells the ring (now candy cane) when the player uses it to allow for heighten skill gains.

The issue at hand is probably mostly my fault in assuming that no one in their right mind would bother putting this check on an item such as this and for not doing a deeper review of the old Christmas present script, in fact I don't think I even looked at it when i wrote the new one. I wanted a new gump and the only review I think I did in game was look at what properties were placed on a ring at the time and clearly, I did not look at the skill gain ring, probably the first ring in the list and so missed this stupid property.

The fix: I removed any mention of this property check and fixed it so that if the character is heightened, it displays their heightened skills. This should fix it and should not require even a restart. I am sure blckfire will let you guys know when it is updated and fixed or let me know when he drops it in and compiles it and gets it live. Rest assured you will get your skill gain just maybe a few days later than you or I would like.

Again sorry for yet another blunder on my part.

*Hides behind the wall to dodge all the rotten fruit and vegetables*

God I hate working on some of these scripts on this shard, I will try to be more thorough in the future. I have a test server so perhaps I can wrangle some of you guys in if I need proper testing done to avoid some of these issues in the future.
Zendrick

Post by Zendrick »

For us Non-Heightened plebs it was a GLORIOUS DAY! i was able to finish my Med and save myself hours of Macroing so now i can go and play!! Thanks for all you guys do! Here is to another wonderful year.
Enkidu Gorwraith-Voice of the People
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

Okay. First of all, I want to say my deepest apologies, simple mistakes were made by myself when I decided on my own to redesign the Christmas present stuff. Bugs were introduced, a small time warp caused by my mistake in one script and a potential for another due to another mistake, we averted that one. Second, I can not wait for Christmas to be over, barring any hiccups it should end on the 31st of December, I do believe I am using GMT for the time, so be sure to login before that and don't wait til the last minute.

Here is the scoop.

First, candy cane of skill gain:
I missed a cprop because well to be honest I did not really look at the old script all that much other then to find out what was being done when a candy cane was created but I did not go down the list to examine the different ones because I figured they, like the United States' Declaration of Independence says, "are all created equal", this turned out to be false, the skill gain ring was originally created with a secondary property on it denoting the ability to use it for heighten skills. Why this was ever even something to be toggled on or off I don't know but this was and has been fixed.

Now onto the more serious matter. It came to my attention that the present could be used by anyone regardless of who received it. I was fine with this, I was cool with it and it turns out Blckfire was as well if it stayed within normal playing bounds, you sell it off to a friend, give it to another of your characters but it soon became apparent while I was stalking and spying on some of you that one of you had discovered a loophole. I was already in a bit of a somber mood because I had made yet another simple mistake but the fact that this was being abused by this one player at the scale it was being abused, disappointed me greatly in the trust I had hoped to have with the player base. I trust most of you I really do but I could not just let this go. I was put into a bind as to what to do and in fact when I confronted the player and here is a bit of public shaming, you may know him as Theo on automap chat, the in game conversation went as follows, I revealed myself and started the short conversation as follows:

Me: "Are you really going to make me do this?"
Theo: "That's an odd question"
Me: "It's only odd because you know what I am talking about."
Theo: "I don't know what to tell ya mate."

I stood there just gobsmacked, he icq'd me with literally a "Yo" and I did not respond for probably a minute, I was shocked but just disappointed, I stood in this guys corner for another offense and felt like I was being stabbed in the back. After probably a few minutes of just silence, I replied something like "7 days" and jailed him for 7 days. I went through his house and found a cache of gifts he had been muling. I then hopped off and came back an hour later and figured I better run through the banks of these characters too where i found a cache of equal size in one of his characters banks. At this point I took it upon myself to indiscriminately begin dropping skills of his characters, I have not finished reviewing his characters skills and at this point don't care if they are legit gains or not so will likely hit some legit skills he actually trained but I don't really care if he doesn't mind taking great liberties in what was obviously a bug. I had multiple people report it to me, he was not one.

Just as a public notice, this is it for him, if something even remotely fishy happens again with him and his account, I was really contemplating whether a warp should happen because of these actions and I hope it was isolated to this one person, if it is discovered that it is not reprisals will come to those who felt the need to abuse this in similar fashion, the hammer falls and the pieces will lay where they fall.

If I am brave enough next year maybe I might change it from character bound to at least account bound with improved checks to check character age instead of the current check to avoid this kind of abuse.

I know you guys have had kind of a crappy two years and I am trying to remedy this, yes unfortunately there have been setbacks in the last week, but we plan on making good on the huge time warp that occurred with a couple double gain weekends. Blckfire mentioned them again yesterday I believe and I suggested pushing them off til after the new year since family will likely take up people's time more than Ultima will, though some of you I don't know, some appear to be antisocial scruffians :D .

That was my wasted night. Wanted you all to know the situation, presents fixed hence the two restarts earlier and the candy cane of skill fixed, though I don't know why you guys would want that, this is Pang bro, hard core, no freebies. :D .

Merry Christmas or my preference, Happy Christmas and please, no happy holidays, it is Christmas, generic happy holidays could pertain to Easter, Halloween, the Communist Labor Day, the really Communist May Day, Arbor day for you Candanavians, this is Christmas not just some generic holiday.

P.S. - Pete will be fixed for next year to respond to Merry Christmas for all you who were mad at me for not using Merry Christmas as the trigger word, Pete is different, his trigger words aren't the same as the bog standard Millennial's trigger words. :lol:

P.S. 2 - You get a cigar if you know why I chose Pete as the name, it should not be too difficult to discover if you know where I stand in politics and the stupid attacks on traditional institutions particularly if the attack made on them is someones perceived notion of it being racist.

Sorry for the off track.

Happy Christmas, enjoy and God willing, no more bugs, if you can call them that, from the Christmas stuff.
Emirien

Post by Emirien »

Dont let one rotten fruit (Theo) ruin your christmas spirit Oden!

Have a merry christmas and happy new years!
-Eric Shadowblade

688 831 885
-Brit
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Firstly i would like to publicly apologise to Oden, i have no doubt that all this that he has created for us has taken a hell of a lot of time and effort on his part.
There is no excuse for abusing a bug, and i know i have had a lot of chances within pangaea... i can honestly say i am greedy and took things to far.

Oden, primarily to you i apologise for causing you grief and aggro that you did not deserve.
To anyone else who it may of affected, or aggravated i apologise.

I do not want to upset you or any others within pang as the community is Fantastic.
My bird location is 239081580 footsteps from britain bank!