Test Shard

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

GM Oden

Test Shard

Post by GM Oden »

So I believe my test shard for testing old religions is able to go online. I just need a couple to a few testers and I can get the religions tested and work out any kinks. With this in mind:

I'm looking for a few LTV's, Local Testing Volunteers, I need for you to be somewhat knowledgeable to the religion system and able to diagnose bugs while being willing to login during times when I'm not around as well as able to concisely put in writing bugs in an easy to understand postmortem which should describe in detail the following:

- Events which led up to the bug.
- The bug itself.
- Any lasting repercussions (shard freeze, unresponsiveness, shard infinite loop feel)

I have an idea as to a couple people I want to conscript into the extravaganza but if they wish to abstain from this, volunteers are welcome. You can drop a note here and hit me up via pm, icq, Skype, email or discord and I will sort through a short list.

I'm looking for mainly people who have dealings with the old religion system on Pangaea.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill
GM Oden

Re: Test Shard

Post by GM Oden »

Waiting to hear back from one other person but I think I've narrowed down my four guinea pigs.

I will be rearranging dot commands to make testing as painless as possible, allowing testers to do the following:

Set their piety, create foci, fill and create canons and set their devotion.

I'll post here what needs to be tested tonight or tomorrow.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

So I need to forward a port and then I'll get all the squealing guinea pigs together and give them the info to login.

To those looking to test as soon as you login be sure to read the MotD, don't just close it. It can be reopened using .motd but it gives you info on new commands you have access to while testing.
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

So this is what I need tested in short: (what a joke, short from me...)
- Guards, I need to make sure all the guards behave as they should around the different religions. So use createnpc and find the guards section and test these please, these are not necessarily the summoned guards either.

- Rites, I just need to know they cast as they should. I am not looking to do more than bug fixing with this religion package, it is what it is and should be the same religion package that was around at the end of the Ares/Iktomi regime.

Anything else you think ought to be tested. I guess I will throw down an altar or something and make sure the gump stuff loads fine but I am sure it will so I will do that in my spare time.

Hunger is turned off so don't worry about eating.

I will add an additional command for you guys, .kill to kill guards off after testing them. Please be frugal in testing, don't spawn up the world with loads of npcs. Make sure to read the motd as it lays out what you have access to, each of you have canons in your bank preset to the religion I assigned to you, you can change these but I need or rather want the following religions tested:

Imperial
Justi...Law
Nature
Tekstone

Don't worry with the train wreck known as Oblivion, you can dink around with it if you like for a short time but I mainly care about the major four religions. As for Psyche, this like Oblivion is a hold over from Journey's End, unlike the train wreck of Pangaea's Oblivion however, it was not even implemented and the rite scripts for it were deleted by Repsak long ago it appears as they are not in the cleric pkg for Pangaea. (Although, I have my sources and have a copy of them elsewhere, minor conversion and they could be dropped in but that is for another story on another day at another hour.) There is no telling what will happen if you try to cast a rite that is not there script wise for Psyche so you can change your canon's and character's devotion to it and see what rites are there for that religion but that is about it so don't bother, I will tell you they were all related to death, spirit world and ghosts, some of which I plan to port over for the new religion stuff at a later time anyway so there really is no need to even do that other than curiosity.

Thanks for your volunteering and if we can get testing going asap and hopefully mostly complete within the following week, I will try my hardest to get religions live as soon as possible. I will not work on much of anything else until this happens. (This is a big promise from me I like to mingle and do other things lol such as move forward on new religions, move forward and get conversion shit done but you have my word, that this takes precedence.)
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

Started a trello board to keep track of what is borked and what is not, I will add additional non rite specific stuff to it later today but for now this is it. You can keep track at home!

Pangaea 096 Religion Progress

If you are guinea pigging please look at your ICQ and sign up for a discord account so we can all be moving on the same page on this.

If you are guinea pigging please also consider signing up for a Trello account so I can add you to the list and we can start keeping notes there. There is a fantastic Windows 10 app for Trello so it is super easy to use and very easy to see and track progress and add notes and comments on different cards.

Thanks to tale for getting me the feedback that is already on the board as well as some minor testing I did, if anyone has any idea how Emissaries used to work, please let me know, right now they are attacking anyone who is not of the same religion. I need to know if this is normal or if the ally stuff was part of Emissary behavior, in either case certain rites and certain aspects of religions are not going to be working just yet as I need to add their guild ID's to the test shard.
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

Testing going swimmingly, just have a few minor issues to work out and one potential major one, technically two in terms of rights.

I want to fix a minor bug with guards that has no bearing on religions and test out the guard/emissary stuff, if the emissary stuff goes off without a hitch, I'll move forward and fix then test the rites that are an issue. I've already fixed an issue, not a big, as it was intentional, with requiem which rendered it 100% useless for Imperial ever since Malas was taken from us. This needs tested however from some people on the test shard to ensure it works as intended. Fuxed a bug in Alliance and one other rite that if an improper target was selected the cleric could no longer cast rites until he logged out,I'm sure there are more like this.

Fixed an error message in Indoctrination that was returning the improper system message forcing players to automatically think their meditation had failed them not piety as it was.

Fixed an error in Judgement that I suspect has been there for quite sometime which would send the cleric the message "You have turned 'Rats Ognir' criminal" AND the message "you are now criminal". The second was intended for the target of the rite, I also fixed these messages to reflect and use proper grammar and added to the victim's message the name of the cleric who turned him criminal.

More to come.

Huge thanks to Glarundis, Malron, Tale, Gurrnutt Venomblade and Dalton for lending their time, experience and expertise in getting old religions mostly back in.

Siege rite will likely remain dormant until/if we decide to get a siege system going. If we do get it going, my vote will be for the old one, I literally do not want to write under 096 if I don't have to as my main aim is to get us to 099 so the new religion stuff will be written under 099, tested under 099 and rolled out under 099.
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

So, some more testing on my part done and fixing.

It looks as though there are potentially 4 rites we will have issues with and these are they:

Apotheosis - This is broken and I am not sure why so I will dig into it some more tonight before I hop off and look through the function cals in the different include files and the actual rite itself of course to see what the nuck is going on.

Divine Sanctity - This is a potential broken one but I doubt it as it just has a super high requirement to cast.

Negation - Same as Divine Sanctity.

Siege - This will remain untested until the Siege system is reviewed and tested. If we choose to put the siege system back in it will likely be as is but only if players really push for it. I would rather put my time into finishing the conversion and getting started on the replacement religion system now that there is a road map to it.

Outside the scope of rites, we move onto guards and religions, these need to be tested to ensure that the guards that are supposed to attack the different religion enemies work as intended. Either tonight if I remember or tomorrow I will be placing hotspots with the different guard types so that the testers can test the different guards. This will likely be a bit tricky to fix so we are not in the clear blue yonder yet so I appreciate your time and patience and apologize for any delays caused and unforeseen.

Thanks again to those who are testing, this has gone a lot quicker thus far than I had thought it would so you guys get the credit for that.
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

I think I've sorted Apotheosis out, I will wait to hear back from those testing.

Next step is guards, I'm going to need to likely make a few adjustments to the spawning of guards to take into account regions like yew and moonglow but I'll cross that bridge when I arrive at it.

I'll put in the hotspots tonight with the different guard types and see what becomes of it.
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

Pestilence was broken and not starting plague effect. Fixed that.

Plague itself was broken and had an invalid property it was trying to place on the mobile affected, this was fixed, variable/parameter names cleaned up and clarified. In short the broken parameter had nothing to do with the actual working of plague itself and was only noticeable if a staff member knew what they were looking for in game with a specific dot command not available on Pangaea prior to me joining staff.

I've also added an additional change to plague so that if the origin point was a player the message sent on initial plague effect on a character is slightly different to notify the infected the person's name who started the plague. Accountability is pretty important to me especially if there is an expectation of some level of justice and players stamping out evil. Likewise obviously evil stamping out the good, it's the never ending story without the luck dragon.
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

All rites appear to be working. A couple rites received some minor updates including Apotheosis and Earthen Wardens the rest were fine.

Altar stuff seems to work fine.

Guards attack who they should, I just need to get them to spawn and respawn properly on guard runes so hopefully this weekend early next week that will be done. Then I'll do some final testing and zip this stuff off to blckfire.