Class system changes

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Ivan

Re: Class system changes

Post by Ivan »

Dalton wrote:
Simmo wrote:Lol, well done. Nerf more shit.
Because fuck logic... And lets make the game more frustrating so people don't feel like sticking around.

*applauds*
Guess I'll break it down for everyone what these changes actually do.

1. Priest resist 100 -> 85

Literally no priest ever needed that 15% extra, it has no effect on priests over buffed defensive abilities. Good example in hunting archers, assassins and whatnot can make do with 85 resist and lower healing abilities already, so why'd a priest have trouble with lower resist? This changes absolutely nothing in PVE. Then in PVP only scenario where this actually has even slight difference is that now priest is just as weak against necromancer's kill chant as any other char (baba excluded due to the kill calculations).

2. Archers losing dragon

Dragon on archers is more of a convenience thing, it does not allow archer to kill any better monsters, it just makes killing stuff easier. Even in group hunts where archer is most used, people do not use dragons, so essentially only solo clear speed has been reduced with this change. Now this gives an advantage to ranger class, if it's kept like this. Ranger who is using sword weapons is way slower in clearing than an archer so using a dragon will speed ranger upto par and should give atleast one edge for rangers.

3. Merchant fighting skills, sure I mean I don't think any of them are going to whine being able to use pickaxes and hammer picks as weapon since they use mining and bowyer having archery is irrelevant overall but makes sense in RP.

4. Merchant ringmails, most of the merchant classes literally don't care what they wear except tamer. Tamer is only class that could consider this a nerf, but when you take into account how good minotaur bones and fire giant hides are, it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. So I don't really care either way and neither should anyone.
Palma

Post by Palma »

In all these Years I was never one to macro much. I only ever reached two chars to heighten. Been here not even a week ago and one of the hardest skills I've evere trained and spent countless hours just evaporated with little info. And my best hunting partner just lost his dragon. I don't really care about the why's tbh. Havent played since the change and made me re-think why I come back to this game/shard that just has no respect people's time and fun.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Ivan wrote:
Dalton wrote:
Simmo wrote:Lol, well done. Nerf more shit.
Because fuck logic... And lets make the game more frustrating so people don't feel like sticking around.

*applauds*
Guess I'll break it down for everyone what these changes actually do.

1. Priest resist 100 -> 85

Literally no priest ever needed that 15% extra, it has no effect on priests over buffed defensive abilities. Good example in hunting archers, assassins and whatnot can make do with 85 resist and lower healing abilities already, so why'd a priest have trouble with lower resist? This changes absolutely nothing in PVE. Then in PVP only scenario where this actually has even slight difference is that now priest is just as weak against necromancer's kill chant as any other char (baba excluded due to the kill calculations).
If it has no effect and dont make any significant change to the game why nerf it? We cant only think about in game logic or RP logic, the personal joy of each one of us to achive training this skill must be considered, it isnt logic to take that away from a person after years of macro and hours spended of dedication to train this hellish skill.

And if your objective is to make a stable player base you are not making a good job with this change. You never think about the players always make this game harder for us.
Ivan wrote:2. Archers losing dragon

Dragon on archers is more of a convenience thing, it does not allow archer to kill any better monsters, it just makes killing stuff easier. Even in group hunts where archer is most used, people do not use dragons, so essentially only solo clear speed has been reduced with this change. Now this gives an advantage to ranger class, if it's kept like this. Ranger who is using sword weapons is way slower in clearing than an archer so using a dragon will speed ranger upto par and should give atleast one edge for rangers.
Well with religions back Ranger will have an incredible advantage compare with Archers with this nerf. I kinda agree with this btw, but if you wanna change archers, with religions you have to lower animal lore on rangers too.
Ivan wrote:3. Merchant fighting skills, sure I mean I don't think any of them are going to whine being able to use pickaxes and hammer picks as weapon since they use mining and bowyer having archery is irrelevant overall but makes sense in RP.

4. Merchant ringmails, most of the merchant classes literally don't care what they wear except tamer. Tamer is only class that could consider this a nerf, but when you take into account how good minotaur bones and fire giant hides are, it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. So I don't really care either way and neither should anyone.
This is normal, no complains.
Last edited by Dillon on Sun May 13, 2018 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Demian

Post by Demian »

I have to agree with the above 2 comments. It just doesn't seem to me that all these changes were really thought out properly in the first place. Sometimes it's alright to just scrap some ideas, even if they have been announced and shouldn't come as a surprise to the players.
everezt

Post by everezt »

I'll have to agree that some of these changes make absolutley no sense and are not thought through at all.
Most of the changes don't change anything in the actual numeric world, except take away hard work of players.
And restricting merchants to maximum of ringmail, well... You're just fucking over tamers, since they really need some armor, every other merchant does not really care what they wear.

Question here is more about do you guys want people to stay and play? Or just fuck that, we're in habit of making some stupid ass decisions without thinking it through or talking to playerbase about it?
You're not gonna get new players starting to play UO, game is too old for that, but just going ahead and making life more misrable to the current ones who barely even enjoy playing... well.. good choices :D

I'm just gonna play some PVP, since i've not had chance to do that yet, as soon as i've enjoyed it a bit, i'm gonna quit, cba to do deal with this kind of nosense, you guys can sit on top of your bad set of desicions alone.

Hail Glarundis
Last edited by everezt on Sun May 13, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gurrnutt Venomblade

Post by Gurrnutt Venomblade »

The changes should have been brought to our attention like staff in the past had done. And perhaps voted on, I agree with Eve taking away ringmail from tamers is big.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

So you're now crying for losing stuff that is close to irrelevant for you to have, even if this could lead into casters becoming more valid option in PVP and PVE?

EDIT: For tamer losing chains, I don't really know if it is that big or not. But I doubt it stops you from taming ancient anyways.
Vulcan
Game Master

Post by Vulcan »

Popular classes are popular exactly because they have an edge compared to others. These changes were made exactly to balance that edge, even if slightly.

So here is what was discussed:

Priest's resist down to 85%.
Boris wrote:Reason(s): 100% resisting spells is a magic user bravura that no fighter class should have.
As mentioned by Ivan, the only real loss here is an increased vulnerability to the only decent weapon necromancers have in PvP. The fact I see players with both characters complaining about this just tells me we still have a good while to go until they pick the necromancer over the priest in PvP.

Archer's animal lore down to 65%.

100% archery
100% fencing
100% anatomy
100% tactics
85% healing
85% poisoning

Best PvM class in the shard, you don't need dragons. Rangers' meditation is a barely useless joke, so the Dragons vs Religion is not a valid point. Think of it like this: Dragons vs GM Tactics/85% Poisoning. If you want to trade those off, we might have a deal.

Merchants restricted to ringmail except blacksmiths.

From a RP standpoint view. Bones lose virtually nothing to chainmail.

Tinker and cook macefighting up to 85%.
Bowyer's archery up to 100%.

Three merchants who need to leave the safety of the town. Tamers and smiths are already GM in their fighting skill, it makes sense bowyers know well the weapons they craft themselves, while the other classes having an increase to deal with the dangers of their profession.

There were another changes in the pipe, but they need some scripting to be done. So hold tight, the best is yet to come!
Simmo

Post by Simmo »

Not trying to pull a fight here. The main point is droping 15% of not-so-easily trained skill. And necromancer comment, what? Thats a nice joke, have either of you ever had a necromancer? If youre refering to Kill chant then 85% or 100%, does not make any difference. Kill aint the Kill it used to be.
Vulcan
Game Master

Post by Vulcan »

Simmo wrote:Not trying to pull a fight here. The main point is droping 15% of not-so-easily trained skill. And necromancer comment, what? Thats a nice joke, have either of you ever had a necromancer? If youre refering to Kill chant then 85% or 100%, does not make any difference. Kill aint the Kill it used to be.
If it matters at all, I have played both a necromancer and a priest sometime in the past.

The necromancer was an example, as it is the most common magic user in PvP.
The fighter class should not be immune to magic users. The priest was (and will continue to be with all the buffs, reflect pots and high resist). This is a small step towards some balance.