Refactoring combat system

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Ivan

Refactoring combat system

Post by Ivan »

So this appeared in the message of the day few days ago. After which the staff started live testing and changing the combat system, which resulted multiple broken weapon skills for couple of days, which may or may not have been fixed in the end.

As soon as the shard gained some player base, it seems like the staff has started fiddling with things without announcing them, without running them trough test servers or without even taking player input into things. We have counselors and players willing to test things and tell the staff their player opinion IF something should be changed. But none of these things are being done or even taken into consideration.

Even right now there is no proper announcement done about this refactoring, which literally killed classes who relied on archery.

I understand if changes like animal lore drop for archers and resist drop for priests which were announced a long time ago and which are reasonable changes are being put in place. But when you're literally taking away the core from a good class, which players enjoy playing, it's just not reasonable.

So I'd request that: staff refactors the combat so that it matches how it was before OR all the changes that refactoring combat made are reverted completely. Pangaea was decently well balanced in terms of combat system before, that needs no changing at this very moment.
everezt

Re: Refactoring combat system

Post by everezt »

I'll agree, the changes being done, that affects every second player should not be done by 1 or 2 persons. Ask for playerbases input for your thoughts.

The current "refactoring" seems to be more like umm.. changing meta of the game, making the most used class useless, since literally, you're better off reclassing archer to assassin than play archer anymore, since the pure "specialty" of archery is useless :lol:
Emirien

Post by Emirien »

If staff wants to change things without any input from players we could just as well not bother logging on.

Run changes by your goddamn players or councilors, i think not a single person would object to being of assistance to help with balancing stuff. But this? This is bullshit.

Fix what you fucked up, then if you want to do changes, ask the players before doing something (unless ofc a bug, in wich case we have no say in)
-Eric Shadowblade

688 831 885
-Brit
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

Hmm, I'm not going to say that refactoring couldn't be a thing, since perhaps it is felt that somethings could be adjusted. I'm not gonna say yes and I'm not gonna say no.

However, I think it's more than sensible to not do this is in the real shard.. Have a test shard like it was done for religions, and have some players (those who are willing/counselors/ppl who are used to dmg numbers, speeds, etc)
Vulcan
Game Master

Post by Vulcan »

Ivan wrote:So I'd request that: staff refactors the combat so that it matches how it was before OR all the changes that refactoring combat made are reverted completely. Pangaea was decently well balanced in terms of combat system before, that needs no changing at this very moment.
The idea was to replace a buggy system to a clean system while keeping the very same funcionality. The changes weren't meant to be noticeable. The fact that they were just says something went wrong in the process.

As we also tested alongside you, blckfire is adjusting the values to match what they were before. So, in the end, it'll feel the same as it was but with less bugs.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Vulcan wrote:
Ivan wrote:So I'd request that: staff refactors the combat so that it matches how it was before OR all the changes that refactoring combat made are reverted completely. Pangaea was decently well balanced in terms of combat system before, that needs no changing at this very moment.
The idea was to replace a buggy system to a clean system while keeping the very same funcionality. The changes weren't meant to be noticeable. The fact that they were just says something went wrong in the process.

As we also tested alongside you, blckfire is adjusting the values to match what they were before. So, in the end, it'll feel the same as it was but with less bugs.
I'd still love to get proper announcement on forums about this and possible use of test server, recruiting counselors/players to test the things as they're being balanced. Things like this are very important to players especially when they directly affect the gameplay on the live server. Just to prevent the gameplay being impossible or horrible for the players playing at any given time.

To be honest the biggest reason for players wanting things to be like this is because, if things are left the way they're currently, it's going to kill any chance for increasing player base and keeping players on the shard.
Emirien

Post by Emirien »

Vulcan wrote:

Still, announcement 2-3 days before and even as Ivan has suggested, a test shard to try the changes before just going "fuckit, lets make em live". Not like there are not people that would love to help
-Eric Shadowblade

688 831 885
-Brit
aldath c'om

Post by aldath c'om »

theres nothing to make me log archer over my assa as long as archery keeps breaking bows fast and then u shoot 25gp on shot that does 0 dmg for like 70% of time and once u get dmg thru its like 1/3 what u could of do with dbs
291-697-526
Demian

Post by Demian »

If archery and wrestling get back to how they were before this combat system change, I think things are pretty well off.
Talerco Pious

Post by Talerco Pious »

Demian wrote:If archery and wrestling get back to how they were before this combat system change, I think things are pretty well off.
Wrestling works now
I whine, therefore I am