Character Restores

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Theodore

Re: Character Restores

Post by Theodore »

blckfire wrote:In the meanwhile I'll be trying to recover the lost backups. I'll keep you updated.
Awesome news, looking forward to getting some chars back
My bird location is 239081580 footsteps from britain bank!
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Hey blckfire

Any update yet?
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Hey ! is there any update yet please?
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Hi , Me again... Any update?
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

I'll drop him a skype and see what is what.

I will say for right now, do not hold your breath, as someone who experienced data loss oh not that long ago and am about to put a few 7MM Rem Mag rounds through his PC, I think the data loss is likely a permanency.

I could be wrong, Lord knows I have been wrong before. However, I am certain I can unequivocally say, in this instance I am correct. I can run through my files but I am also certain that I was not entrusted with a backup of anything regarding the character backups.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Thanks for.the reply.oden , I guess I'm lucky in this instance as I deleted the chars after the files were lost , so I am 100% certain that blckfire has my files for the characters ( from around march ) Thank you for.checkng either way.
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

Just let this be a lesson for you all backups should be kept in 3s.

Local, cloud/off site and offline.

Local is self explanatory, local to your PC.

Cloud storage or off site, get yourself a google Drive acct for cloud OR one of the plethora of other cloud services. If you are however strapped for cash, pick up a thumb drive, external hard drive or a bunch of DvDs and store backups on it and send it to a trusted friend or family for safe keeping.

Offline is stored on a thumb drive, DVD(s), external hard drive, etc. Any medium that is easy to store AND crucially rarely accessed by you, this means not always plugged in to your PC.

Those are the three commandments laid forth by Steve Gibson on archiving and he knows his stuff even if I'm on a different wave length than he.

Note: if you're in need of a hard drive utility click the link to look at his SpinRite utility it's fantastic but there's a ton of other goodies at his site too.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill
blckfire
Scripter

Post by blckfire »

I applied the first character restores, still have to check with the account owner if it is working.

If everything is ok we should be able to take care of other requests, if we have the backups for them...
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

blckfire wrote:I applied the first character restores, still have to check with the account owner if it is working.

If everything is ok we should be able to take care of other requests, if we have the backups for them...
Who do I have to send a request to?
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Hey wolf I believe the char restores go through Vulcan