Loss in the Family

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

GM Oden

Loss in the Family

Post by GM Oden »

This is a difficult announcement to make but for those who have fond memories of adventuring with Destra Falon or Rena Vultey or Haley Falon and still others who interacted with Travis, the bowyer or Tya Lynch the tailor, I sadly have to announce that the player, my brother-in-law, has passed away.

He and my sister had been married for 22 years and were long time players here on Pangaea between 2003ish to 2006ish and again during the Ares' era of Pangaea, 2011ish to 2013ish. He and my sister spent a lot of time in Skara Brae on their characters, they owned the large + Counselor's Guildhouse for a good while, the one near the moongate. He would help my sister with her animal tamer, S'Rree and together they would hunt as a couple or with others as well. In usual Ultima Online fashion, like most players I have come across (including myself) they were packrats in game, hording hides, bones, ingots and ores along with a bunch of other miscellaneous.

I remember when he and my sister first got into UO, it was in 2003 at the latest because I was in my second year of high school and it was not long after Journey's End had their Diaspora which probably made up a good chunk of those online totals we nostalgically think back to and while he had heard of UO before because in my house, with my friends (consequently at the time more so by brothers friends) and my brother and also my dad, Ultima Online was the bees knees, I don't think he had seen much of it being played. I remember he had an early number on ICQ because he had used ICQ for years before he even jumped into UO and he had added me and one day he sent me a message and I don't remember if he had just set himself up an account and downloaded the client or if I walked him through it but it was like an overnight marriage. He and my sister seemed to take to it like a duck to water and for a few years they graced this shard with their presence I think at some point becoming counselors.

My sister contributed to the player guides and they'd both answer the mundane questions that usually come into counselors, particularly in the early days. They put a big mark with some players and some players put their mark on them because I would talk to them both years later when I lived with them for a couple years and they would mention player's names or icq names of old players I would not know because I never lasted that long on Pangaea in the early days but they had run the Pangaean course and made the friendships and contacts typical in an online gaming world.

I am not sure really how to close this, some of you on UOAM chat last night or morning for the European players, may have noticed I jumped off kind of early and said I could not focus on anything right now, this is and was the reason why. Unfortunately over the last few years since I moved from Nevada to Texas, we had grown further and further apart as is to be expected with friendships and family relations when long distance is thrown into the mix, this was a massive shock to wake up to on Tuesday morning and really hit me hard. His death was sudden and if there is any solace to be had in a tragedy like this, I am thankful he passed away in his sleep.

In recent years he had become an avid motorcycle rider and enjoyed the outdoors rather then being cooped up inside, enjoyed shooting at the local range in the town he lived and had become well known in the small community in which he lived, still answering those pesky Counselor pages that would come in probably, only the real life kind.

I'll post a link to a website if anyone wishes to donate something to my big sis and his two daughters to help with easing the burden at least financially in their time of need.

Meal Train

If you're uncomfortable donating through that site and would like to help out, contact me via discord or through pm and I can provide you with my paypal account and I will ensure it is sent safely on.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill
Tyrion

Re: Loss in the Family

Post by Tyrion »

So sorry for your and their loss. He was a fantastic person and very generous. I remember interacting with both of them often in Skara back in the early release of Pangaea. I remember actually hitting on his wife at one point and he handled it like a champ lol! Didn't get mad at me IRL or IG, took it as a compliment and treated me with warm regard. Truly a testament to his character as a person IRL and his dedication to maintaining the RP environment IG. This really saddens me and I hope that your family and particularly S'Hree are ok. Losing a loved one is not easy. Sending my positive vibes, well wishes and love :).