Shard is down

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Bipina Huntley

Re: Shard is down

Post by Bipina Huntley »

Yudhishthir wrote:Pangaea has always been one of the best shards I've played on, with a lot of customization, helpful staff, new things being added, core being updated. I can easily get lost for hours (days) on end behind the screen lost in the world of Pangaea. How many years has this shard been up for now?

Fastfoward to now.

Lag, constant disconnects, constant shard crashes for lengthy periods of time. No GMs ever online. Religions gone, their temples stagnating. Seemingly no staff interest in the shard or the server. I will agree it's time for the current staff to pass the buck.

A double gain week will not make up for the lack of staff/support. It's like putting a bowtie on a turd. When the week ends, it'll still be a turd.

This shard is in desperate need of new staff and a new server location before the playerbase disperses. Please don't maintain a deathgrip on the shard until it dies. It's time to realize you either don't have time or desire to run the shard anymore and pass it along to someone who still has that desire.

This has always been a great shard with a great community, now we're turning into a stagnant pond.

Please, please, please, it's time. Pangaea is not a possession, it's a community. If your fire to maintain the community is gone, please allow someone else to step up.

With all due respect, please have some consideration for the playerbase and their desires. They are who make the shard.

No offense meant, and I appreciate your time!
Hopefully, heres to many more years!

Yudhishthir

+1
Bipina Huntley
My bird coordinates :
446-956-887

Malron

Post by Malron »

Let my people go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously.
blckfire
Scripter

Post by blckfire »

I must admit that the time I've dedicated to Pangaea in the past months has not been by any means at the pace I would've liked. But things on my side have been hard and my mind has not been in a place where I can just sit after work or in the weekend and code or give more attention to Pangaea.

But don't loose hope, things are starting to look better and I'll be back to finishing religions like promised.

When you experience server problems I'd very much like to receive a PM on forums once problems start so I can diagnose immediately what the problem was exactly.

On my side and lag related I can say that I've noticed a drop on quality of internet from my ISP. I hope this will be temporary.
Gurrnutt Venomblade

Post by Gurrnutt Venomblade »

blckfire wrote:I must admit that the time I've dedicated to Pangaea in the past months has not been by any means at the pace I would've liked. But things on my side have been hard and my mind has not been in a place where I can just sit after work or in the weekend and code or give more attention to Pangaea.

But don't loose hope, things are starting to look better and I'll be back to finishing religions like promised.

When you experience server problems I'd very much like to receive a PM on forums once problems start so I can diagnose immediately what the problem was exactly.

On my side and lag related I can say that I've noticed a drop on quality of internet from my ISP. I hope this will be temporary.
Perhaps the server can be moved to a better location where speeds are better? And no gms bother to log on anymore maybe additional staff should be put in place?

Not to be disrespectful but can we get progress updates? even if there is none...
Ondoher

Post by Ondoher »

blckfire wrote:But don't loose hope, things are starting to look better and I'll be back to finishing religions like promised.

Once again an answer which really didnt give any answers to anything. Nearly 4 months of silence and you come back with this ?

We heard this one already like 10 times.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

As said in earlier messages, I'd like be informed at the least if things are being done or not. Even if there is no progress, at least it clarifies the situation and people don't need to ponder if the shard is going to be ok or not in the future.

What comes to hosting stuff, has it even been considered that you'd use a hosting service or someone else to host the server and have your version running at the same time to make the changes and update it to server after you're satisfied with the progress you've made?

It is not like players need immediate updates asap, what players right now need is stable and working server that is playable at all times. Just like you none of us has endless amount of time and the server being unplayable makes people to lose interest. It should make things easier for everyone, if once you're done with ie. religions and you just push out the phase 1 at once and upload the changes to server. Then troubleshoot and do the hotfixes remotely, after which proceeding to making the next phase would be much more convenient.
blckfire
Scripter

Post by blckfire »

The only reason we didn't want to put the server in someplace on the web is mostly because we have an unfinished product which is not worth the costs (although small).

Keep me up-to-date via PM's in the forum about problems you encounter. I did a reset to the router and I'm pretty sure since then our lag problems have ended.

Regarding server crashes make sure you don't put 100 sheep in an island and everything should be, for the most part, OK. As a side note, this should actually be no problem but since our code is old and made of patches from different sources, stuff like this is bound to happen.

Just to close this off-topic bit, I'm going to monitor the situation regarding server stability, with your help, and we can then decide what the best course of action will be. You're not forgotten!
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

How about like 1 month of double gain? go crazy!
Shalinn

Post by Shalinn »

Glarundis wrote:How about like 1 month of double gain? go crazy!
I dont feel like having double gains makes even any difference, most of us have maxed or nearly maxed chars already. (which are quite lame and makes people even less active on shard)

Personaly I feel like some GM activity would be nice. Quests or some random RP stuffs. No need for huge stuff, even something small would be nice.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

If you want to make training easier, I'd just apply permanent 1.5x gain rate. It is hard to get new players as it is already and training is a pointless pain in the ass. More than training I am quite sad about drop rates, active hunting for a month and I didn't get a single indestructable cloth that'd have fit any of my chars.