Bards, Poke' Hunting, Provoke

Discuss here anything you like to, but keep a proper tone

Moderator: Game Masters

Boris
Admin

Re: Bards, Poke' Hunting, Provoke

Post by Boris »

Kat Asherstone wrote:Sooo, Poke Hunting a greater against a greater is a better reward vs risk because spamming all kill is a LOT faster than provocation on two targets.
Tamed pets are a lot weaker than wild ones. As a small test, a tamed great vs. a wild great lasted for 20 seconds. The wild great lost -8HP during the entire battle.

You have the wrong picture of poke.

- Boris
Leather armor is best for sneaking, because it's literally made from hide.
Ares

Post by Ares »

What seems to be the problem exactly?
Kat Asherstone

Post by Kat Asherstone »

Ares wrote:What seems to be the problem exactly?
Currently the provoke skill appears to be provoking two mobs to fight each other. However, the way in which the skill works is literally forcing one onto the other, not both onto each other.

If you provoke Creature A onto Creature B they begin to fight.
If you attempt to provoke Creature A onto Creature B after they begin to fight it says that you cannot provoke that again so soon.
However, if you provoke Creature B onto Creature A it will again attempt the provoke
But they are already provoked to fight each other.

The skill originally was setup that you would provoke Creature A, then it would check provoke for success because you are provoking that creature onto some target to be determined upon success failure caused the creature to become aggro on you, then you would target... the target still had to be in LoS, although I don't believe it had to be in LoS of the other creature (which was a HUGE problem) So originally you were actually provoking Creature A to attack Creature B, rather than now where it appears to be provoking them against each other, although still allowing you to reverse the provoke which means that in actuality you didn't provoke them against each other, you really did just provoke one onto the other. If it was the case that you were provoking them against each other then the skill should not allow for you to reverse the provoke after a success by simply changing the order of the provoke.
Ares

Post by Ares »

Why is this a problem? I'm just trying to understand what the problem is, exactly. What do you want changed?

Scriptwise, you're still provoking 1 creature onto another. There's just 1 skillcheck; you vs. the first mob.
Kat Asherstone

Post by Kat Asherstone »

I think my friend just nailed it

"what they meant to do was change the LoS issue but they also added a second click required, so while the LoS was fix'd the skill became harder to actually use in combat"

So if the check for the provocation was changed to before the second target was chosen it would be perfect so long as it didn't change the LoS issue

if they are tied together then, darn that sucks.

used to be, click check click
now it's click click check
combo'd with the LoS change that change in click location makes it much harder to do manually since you have to kite in order to stay alive and also keep the LoS for each mob
Kat Asherstone

Post by Kat Asherstone »

Ares wrote:Why is this a problem? I'm just trying to understand what the problem is, exactly. What do you want changed?

Scriptwise, you're still provoking 1 creature onto another. There's just 1 skillcheck; you vs. the first mob.

Ok that's what I was hoping for, that was my point in a way, if it is only checking the skillcheck on the first mob then it would appear to make more sense logically to have it target, check then target.... if the skill checked against both mobs then it would make more sense to have it as it is currently where you target, target then a check is made.

Same page yet? :?
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

If we have bards soloing dungeons with provocation that are designed for 4-5 players - I doubt there's a need for a change.

- Boris
Leather armor is best for sneaking, because it's literally made from hide.
Ares

Post by Ares »

It could be made so that there's: target 1 mob, then a skillcheck, then target second, then check requirements (LOS etc).

I don't know if there was a reason it was made like this though.
Last edited by Ares on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kat Asherstone

Post by Kat Asherstone »

Boris wrote:If we have bards soloing dungeons with provocation that are designed for 4-5 players - I doubt there's a need for a change.

- Boris

perhaps it's the required skill to provoke the mob that should be changed then? You say you doubt theres a need for change, but if that's the case then that's MORE reason for a change, raise the required skill and change the check to where it was and both sides of the problem are solved, assuming that it doesn't change the LoS issue back to being broken.
Kat Asherstone

Post by Kat Asherstone »

Ares wrote:It could be made so that there's: target 1 mob, then a skillcheck, then target second, then check requirements (LOS etc).

I don't know if there was a reason it was made like this though.

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for.
Target mob, Skillcheck, target second, then check requirements like LoS

I'm curious too about if there was a reason it was changed to the OSI model but still kept a single skill check, OSI did a single one but it was a combination of the two creatures required provokes with some calculations and such