What's Pangaea for you?

Discuss here anything you like to, but keep a proper tone

Moderator: Game Masters

Thoran

What's Pangaea for you?

Post by Thoran »

I started writing this as soon as I came back, but somehow I forgot it for a while, there was just so much happening in the first weeks of gaming. I thought I'd write something about me, the reasons I returned and what I wish to accomplish now that I am back. I guess this has parts that I should have said long ago when there were still more familiar players around but still better be late than sorry.

Reason for my return to pang after almost 5 years, was because I was grieving for some RP. I have lots of good memories about the events, and even more of the friendly and funny people that were playing. It was nice to notice that so many familiar characters are still around, even after all this time. Looking back to those years now that Im a bit older, makes me realise that this game, and the playerbase was always somehow the most welcoming of anything I ever played. And even on my return, support and friendliness is what I got, and I'd like to thank everyone from that. Special thanks will of course go to all the staff members for keeping the server still running and finding the time to work on it making it even better.

As I started thinking on returning to Pangaea, I firstly asked bit around that who was still playing, I feared that I wouldnt see much of those players I mostly spend time with. Though to my suprise some of those returned when I asked If they are still playing and if not, would they start again. Thank's Charha, Morgain and Elu for coming back. To me atleast Pangaea wouldnt be the same without you guys.

The goals I set for myself were strictly rolpelaying oriented. I thought that If I start playing again, I would dedicate it mostly for giving something to the other players. Even if there are some admin run events and such the players can make a difference with their events and storylines. I wish that with my playing I can enchance the existing "world" or atleast add something to it.

The first one of my goals was to rebuild The Wayfarers. We are starting to have a good playerbase for it and I dare to say that things are looking good. Id like to thank Walac for aiding me with the guild, buying the guildhouse 'an all. It would have taken us alot of time to accomplish that without you. Also I would like to thank Shalinn and Amy for helping with the furnitures and decoration of the guildhouse.

The next one on my list is to bring back Lovely Serpent one way or the another. The time I havent been roleplaying I have been grinding money, so that at some point we can buy a house somewhere for that cause. Shalinn currently owns the old Skara building, but I fear that I have nothing I could offer him ever to leave it (daaam youuu ;) ). Somewhere there ought to be a big enouch place for it, outside the guard zone. Since just like in the "olden days" I wish that all players, blues reds, religion, can all have the same chance to come there and enjoy some player run rp events. I try to manage to get as much gold as possible for this bar project, but regrettably even my game time is restricted, so I wont be stopping any wishing player for helping me to shovel some gold to Shalinns pockets, or to find another suitable house :D

My characters will probably always seem rather poor, since I dont really invest on their gear, or even their training. And I doubt I will ever heighten a character. So my characters might not be the best hunting partners or astounding pvp gods, but if you just wish to chat and roleplay, im probably all good for that. Ill list all my characters just to give you a heads up, that you know its me.

Thoran Ravenwing - Guildmaster of the Wayfarers, a retired old and bit grumpy barbarian who has somewhat come accustomed to the urban life.

Lucius Ravenwing - little brother of Thoran and he is a bit slow at times. Even if he isn't the brightest candle around, he is trained in carpentry and tinkering.

Shira Hatewind - an old tekstone monk trained by Palis Foar, with a bit of a dark past. Searching now a change in life, and set her eyes to his current mentor Darrol (Argeledougal). An aspiring necromancer serving in the ranks of The Wayfarers. Recent happenings in her life can be found here.

Laveta (Argeledougal) - Married to the drunkard and bootlegger Nayrover (Argeledougal). This dashing woman has served in the Lovely Serpent as waitress, and a dancer. Recent happenings in her life can be found here.

Lastly I wish to give warm and a friendly shout-out to everyone playing on the server. Im glad Im back, and I hope that I can see you all in game ;)
Kat Asherstone

Re: What's Pangaea for you?

Post by Kat Asherstone »

Pang was about the RP but then I came back and realized that the server had been taken over by a bunch of terribad rp'ers so I'm playing for the power gaming at this point.

It was ruined when I saw a Nature member say "i bank" "i sell" and "i buy"

Used to be fun to dance at the lovely serpent, to help new players, to help with the rp school and such.
I came back for a week before I had seen enough, in my opinion, terribad rp to make up for the few years I left the server in fact I had to take a couple month break just to decide if it was worth dealing with.

Now I only deal with certain people on the server who still like to rp.

Hell some of the new players I've seen running around are either old rp vets or they should be teaching some of the current base how to RP.

Oh and if you want some legit RP, try and ICQ Melinda and not have it turn into IC messages... I'm pretty sure I haven't been able to bring myself to send an ooc message to her on ICQ... and that's sayin something.
Charha

Post by Charha »

Morgain got me into playing on Pangaea back when we went to high school and started dating... That was over ten years ago, I think, when the shard was new. Earlier still, when I was a kid, I used to read Computer Gaming World and followed news of this whole UO thing Richard Garriott was developing. The idea of a mmorpg was completely new to me then and so exciting I printed out a random UO screenshot I found from the internet and attached it on the wall next to my bed. Years later, when my folks got a broadband internet connection, I was finally able to play the game and I was hooked instantly.

My first character, Charha - a treasure-hunting gypsy girl - was sort of an alter ego for me. I think the scrawny and woeful Darrol Argeledougal was always the dearest of my UO characters, though, and I've roleplayed (heck, even LARPed) him on several different platforms. The rest of the gang was mainly made up of Darrol's relatives. Me and Morgain thought up of an entire farmer clan of bushy-haired, stick-picking Argeledougals.

Years ago me and Morgain set up the Wayfarer guild in order to help n00bs and I'm tremendously pleased that Thoran has sort of revived the whole thing. I have a hunch we might bring the Ballooners/Donkey Brigade/Whatever guild back and try and get the bar Lovely Serpent running as well. It was a great place for rp (and random debauchery) and the good thing about that was that red and blue players were all welcome there.

One of the things I really like about UO - and Pangaea in particular - is that it connected me to some very nice people in game and IRL, too. It's always nice when there's a gaming environment so cool it encourages you to make IRL contacts. After my return to Pangaea I actually got in contact with this one old friend I haven't seen in a few years. Just today he sent me some email back, and I hope we're going to stay in contact. :)
Daren Priesten

Post by Daren Priesten »

Pangaea is my spare time lol.
aldath c'om

Post by aldath c'om »

its reason why i lost my aos cd and never got it back. too many friends loaned it during time. damn package had 30 or 90 days free for osi.
Morgain

Post by Morgain »

Pretty much like Charha said, we started playing when we were in the closest equivalent that Finland has to a high school. My family had recently gotten a broadband connection and when I found a cheap copy of the Ultima Online client for sale at the local game store, I thought what the hell. There was no way I'd be paying a monthly fee for any game (a principle that still stands to this day), but I'd heard there were free shards around, so maybe I could find one that I liked.

With very little searching I found Pang, and that was it. Never had to look further. Charha joined soon after, and so Morgain and Charha began their adventures all across Britannia.

Lots of good times, good friends and good memories. Too many to list.

And yeah, then there was The Wayfarers. It was a simple idea, really: we kept accumulating all kinds of magical garbage that was of no use to us, but having some of it back when we were just starting out and everything seemed overwhelming would've been a tremendous help. At first it was just the two of us, but the whole thing snowballed at an incredible rate. Like Charha, I'm happy to see that TWF lives on and thrives under Thoran's control. His reboot of the guild was the last straw that brought me back to the game - I thought I'd just come see how it looks now and leave it at that, but damn thing sucked me right back in again when all kinds of familiar faces started popping up. And if the bar gets brought back from the dead as well, I suppose Ermien will be getting busy serving drinks like old times.

So here's to all the wonderful Pangaean friends, and all the fun I've had with them, online or off. May there be plenty more good times in the future for all of us.