What was the last book you read?

Discuss here anything you like to, but keep a proper tone

Moderator: Game Masters

Charha

What was the last book you read?

Post by Charha »

What book did you read? Did you like it?

I read a book about infectious diseases in pre-industrial era Finland. It was called "Plague and Prayer" (Rutto ja rukous) and I thought it was super interesting because it combined biological facts with cultural history.

I had no idea we had malaria up here in the north as late as in the 19th century. :shock:

I also thought it was quite interesting that while some diseases stigmatized people, some almost did the opposite. Leprosy was considered a disfiguring and terrible disease that was carried by "tainted" people, whereas tuberculosis was regarded as a rather poetic and classy disease that affected artists and other soulful people... It's pretty silly, since both diseases are caused by Myobacteria.

Edit: I noticed there's at least one other topic for books, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to have one only for the very latest book you just happened to read for some reason or the other, regardless of whether you liked it or not.
Glarundis

Re: What was the last book you read?

Post by Glarundis »

i can't remember which one was it because i sometimes don't start and end right away one book, i have this and another etc, also a lot of books in my pile "to read asap" that i never get to read asap as i'd like (tbh it's my fault)

but it was probably related to religion/art/social sciences
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Well the last book I read, as in finished was:

With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa

Its a great book to read if you're interested in what it was like as a marine island hopping. History is something I very much love, it's fascinating how people lived and triumphed through the horrific or pleasant times alike.

Currently I am re-reading Winston Churchill's A History of the English Speaking Peoples which I read last year but I wanted to revisit it again.

After I am done with this I plan to revisit Richard J. Evan's Third Reich Trilogy. This is a fascinating look into life under the Third Reich, the good and the bad that came from it.

Yes, I know not light reading in the least, but these are the types of books I enjoy reading, along with biographies. I tend to shy away from fiction.
Xerxes

Post by Xerxes »

Dune: House Atreides.

I loved it, but then I love the entire dune saga (even the Jihad series :)
Elu Daeron

Post by Elu Daeron »

Most recently read "A Memory of Light", the final conclusion to the Wheel of Time -series.

Wasn't crazy about it to be honest, there were still way too many loose ends that Sanderson had to wrap up in the last book. Plus it was basically non-stop fighting all the way. It was alright, still, there was just too much stuff to squeeze into a single book and I'm not sure he could've done a better job than he did.

Currently reading "Dragonhaven" by Robin McKinley, which seems great so far :)

Yeah, I tend to favour fiction most of the time. I was reading "6 Easy Pieces" (I think that's the name.. It's basically a bunch of lectures he did) by Richard Feynman before the WoT book arrived in the mail, so at the moment I'm trying to finish it up while I'm also reading Dragonhaven. The earlier lectures were much easier to blaze through :P
Oomari

Post by Oomari »

have to be the 3 book 'The girl with the dragon tattoe', loved them. Have tried a few books after but cant find one that catch me like those did.
Mike

Post by Mike »

The last book I read that wasn't just going back to check out certain chapters and segments was Campaign in Russia: The Waffen SS on the Eastern Front by Leon Degrelle.
Iktomi

Post by Iktomi »

Probably most recent book for me was Reamde by Neal Stephenson. Good stuff... but not as cerebral as some of his other works (like Snow Crash or Cryptonomicon).
Andoriel

Post by Andoriel »

semi fictional: war and peace by Leo Tolstoy. Well I just finished the first book moving on the second one, so far i am very amazed and feel bad for not reading it before. Tolstoy presented characters in such way that they are transparent as it gets to the eyes of the reader and everyone can observe a bit of their own social behavior...

political: Necessity for change, the dialectic lives! by Hardial Bains and couple of other books published by cpc-ml. Its a general analysis of past canadian left and their achivements. Up untill the 1990's the most "radical" ones(idiots) thought defending drug use is somehow revolutionary...hippies.
Last edited by Andoriel on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ares

Post by Ares »

The story of art - Still not sure why I read it. It was there and I had nothing else to read. So now I know like, art, stuff.