What was the last book you read?

Discuss here anything you like to, but keep a proper tone

Moderator: Game Masters

Glarundis

Re: What was the last book you read?

Post by Glarundis »

you don't have to bring the words to life in your head as in "striving to create a mental picture with detailed stuff in it". you just have to realize the words, and the wording itself, is the picture, just like it happens with a poem or a metaphor. can you really define these things otherwise?same goes for music, or painting or whatever you can think of. then, in the very few cases where you really have to "picture" something, it'll come along, don't worry :P
but i atleast don't even think about creating these mental pictures
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Percy wrote:The first page of the first Harry Potter book when it first came out, I really don't have the imagination for a book. I can't bring the words to life in my head. :(
It's going to sound funny because obviously the forum in which I am posting this, but I just can't bring myself to reading a fantasy book. I am so sick of the current besiegement and barrage of films and television shows dealing with orcs, elves, vampires, pixies, wizards, dragons and anything else fantasy related. When I remember not so long ago when all these topics were taboo and now, because Hollywood or whatever your countires' equivalent is, has taken up these genres with great vigor, it's now popular and trendy to be into these genres. I can't be bothered with Game of Thrones and the like, while once I might have been interested, I am sick of it, even people I play UO with constantly go on and on about Game of Thrones and how "epic"(an annoying adjective that is overly misused) it is, I just can't be bothered, I'd rather be one of the few who didn't conform to what everyone else did and just not watch or read the books. Seriously thinking of skipping the next to Hobbit films as well, the first was mediocre at best which is a shame cause I really like Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage and Benedict Cumberbatch as actors.

Back to books though, I've read only a couple fantasy books, those were many moons ago however and I just can't find myself picking up a book unless it's either a biography or a book with historical significance. I guess I would rather read of real, daring and dashing exploits instead of ones that others have thought up in their minds.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
dwight

Post by dwight »

Ved Dwight wrote:currently reading lord of the rings fellowship of the ring, last one i've read the pilgrimage, from paulo coelho, originally "diario de um mago".
Currently reading lotr the two towers
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

the lotr books and the rest of the middle earth collection is just great
though i have to agree with cyrus. and yeah, i don't like the game of thrones either :P
Boern

Post by Boern »

The Book Thief

The best book I've read all year! heh he... yeah. Someone recommended this book to me so I guess I had no chance but to read it.

Anyway, it's based in Nazi Germany during the shitty years ('36-'43) and tells a story of a girl who is sent to a foster family after her mother is more or less taken away. Her brother also dies on the train trip to meet the new family, setting up very a cheerful tone for the book. It's not all wailing in sadness though, there are several genuinely sweet and happy moments as well. While the characters may not be particularly complex, the writer does a very good job on making the reader like them and pull for them to make it through the troublesome times. So of course, when something goes awry, it stings, it stings bad.

There are times when there doesn't seem to be much going on, but the looming atmosphere and details kept me gripped in. It's all in the subtleties, folks. Plenty of dark themes but how could they not be when the narrator is the friggin DEATH himself, which some may find gimmicky but I thought it was very clever and liked the way he/it was portrayed.

It may not be good for those with the faintest of hearts because holy shit, things happen. Did I weep like a little girl? Eh... well, maybe. Let's just leave it at that.
Kat Asherstone

Post by Kat Asherstone »

I try and not read books anymore... I get too into them, while some people read a book and start to get a mental picture, and some don't get a picture at all.. I sometimes find myself out of breathe when a character is being chased or crying when a character dies or is hurt... for me, the moment I begin a story I latch onto it... it's like some kind of "Never Ending Story" type shit.
so now I try and only read books that aren't "fantasy" or "sci-fi"
although when I read Machiavelli's "The Prince" and a lot of other books during college I still found myself in those books.. and that's a little weird, if I do say so myself.
Boern

Post by Boern »

Oh, that's quite interesting.

I find it's some of the best feelings when you find yourself immersed in a good book. All the emotions it can make you go through is pretty crazy. When it happens, you just have to keep reading... one... more... page... I wish it would happen more often for me.

It must go a few levels deeper with you which understandably can make it a nerve-wracking experience. I don't ever really feel like I'm actually in the book. I dunno, interesting anyway!
Charha

Post by Charha »

I recently finished reading Armand Marie Leroi's Mutants: On Genetic Variety and the Human Body. It's a fascinating book that tries to figure out what mutations are about and where do they come from. The author presents a number of genetic disorders as he explains how embryos generally tend to work things out when it comes to having the "right" number of toes and fingers.

The book is stitched together with science and history. The themes vary from various harmful and horrific mutations to fruit flies, aging and even beauty. The author's style of writing is quite refined and humane, which is a good thing when discussing hot potatoes such as "race" or "cretinism". Anyway, this book was easy, intriguing and fun to read.
Daren Priesten

Post by Daren Priesten »

The Walking Dead: Rise of The Governor
Biao

Post by Biao »

Glarundis wrote: though i have to agree with cyrus. and yeah, i don't like the game of thrones either :P
I will have to disagree.
GoT series sucks can't deny that. On the series you won't understand, half of the reasons why each character does what it does.
But the books are just great. Each character have their own thout process and background well explained and are unique on that way.

Also atm im reading Rangers apprentice book 3 by John Flanagan. Really enjoying this one.

awww my english is so rusty :D