geoguessr.com

Discuss here anything you like to, but keep a proper tone

Moderator: Game Masters

Ares

geoguessr.com

Post by Ares »

I'm sorta addicted to this:
http://geoguessr.com/

It's a game where you get dropped somewhere in the world via google streetview with no idea where, and from what you can see you try to guess exactly where you are. Google is invaluable, but still, this is hard.

Here's my best score: http://bit.ly/13xh4PY (took a couple hours) and here's my most annoying task: http://i.imgur.com/bSQYkxo.jpg , (there's nothing but ocean behind me and I couldn't go anywhere)

My initial thought process usuallly goes like:
- What side of the road do they drive on?
- Any signs I can read?
- What alphabeth do they use?
- What's the vegetation like
- Ethnicity of people
- Any company or location names I can google?
Cyrus Tegyr

Re: geoguessr.com

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

I just did the 5 rounds of this, being as poorly traveled as I am I was happy that the ones I did get wrong were because I second guessed myself. One of the challenges, when I was first dropped on the road, for instance was a paved road but covered in a red mud/dust, I looked around a bit scanning the cars, noticed a bunch of caravans and immediately thought this is probably Australia but looked more and more around and thought this is probably somewhere else so I picked a completely different continent and sure enough, it was northern Australia. I didn't try to google anything as I just wanted to see if I could guess where I was purely on spelling of English words, driving style, racial profiling :D, car styles, language types and traffic sign design/coloring. I didn't do too bad I don't think, I can't remember the score I got lol but I will definitely be playing this a bunch and sending this link to others to annoy the hell out of them.

The hardest place I got was a place in Finland, dropped in the middle of a road, I immediately thought it was Alaska just cause it looked like some of the images of Alaska I had seen(no snow though) so I traveled along and thought more and more, this has got to be Alaska, there was nothing around for miles, finally came across a giant yellow mail box(residential one not post office style) and looked to see what was in the driveway, I saw a van and figured, it was Alaska, I went with Alaska and sure enough, it was not.

Fun game though, wish my knowledge of vegetation was a little better, its virtually non existent, well, it is non existent.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
KrondorZuula
Counselor

Post by KrondorZuula »

Fun, yet difficult game, going to have to try a little harder than my half assed "its in this area" guesses haha

http://bit.ly/1aJpXsX
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

omg this looks great!will give it a try
Ares

Post by Ares »

KrondorZuula wrote:Fun, yet difficult game, going to have to try a little harder than my half assed "its in this area" guesses haha

http://bit.ly/1aJpXsX
Haha.. At least you got the continents right.
yuusou

Post by yuusou »

It's a bit lacking. The game sent me pretty much to the same countries. USA, Canada, Russia and Australia.
Basil Brotheamus

Post by Basil Brotheamus »

I tried it once and got to Romania, Sweden, Nova Scotia and Russia.
Ares

Post by Ares »

Besides the above I've gotten Mexico a lot as well. And south africa (not just the country), Japan and a few in china and Brazil.
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

i got usa usa usa usa and then i gave up
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

I got Sweden, Finland, Australia, USA, Canada, Russia, Brazilx2, Mexico and South Africa.

As for randomness, I think those statistics are pretty decent when I am concerned, however, complete randomness for a computer program is quite difficult to achieve if not impossible so, I don't mind getting dropped in a country more then once that's when I will cheat and use Google and try to exact my location rather then just clicking on Brazil's name on the map.

The South Africa challenge was tough, dropped me in the middle of the desert on a long stretch of road, only when I came to a fork in the road did I see a sign with two place names I did Google and then had to decide which fork in the road I was at based on the overhead satellite view from Google maps, needless to say I was off by like 100km...Whatever that means. :D
Last edited by Cyrus Tegyr on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman