Any way to improve connection to Pangaea?

Discuss here anything you like to, but keep a proper tone

Moderator: Game Masters

Toby Frost

Re: Any way to improve connection to Pangaea?

Post by Toby Frost »

Tyrion wrote:Tracert statistics for 46.137.64.107 - 15 hops 107ms

From Italy 81 ms
Jax

Post by Jax »

Boris wrote:Pang vs. Dam (based on avg)
  • Code: Select all

Flo-rida: 116 vs. 103.2
    NY: 90.2 vs. 80.6
    Vancouver: 159.5 vs. 151.7
    Chicago: 104 vs. 100.8
    Dallas: 119 vs. 112.7
    Montreal. 90.2 vs. 84.1
    Phoenix: 164.1 vs. 135.6
    Seattle: 157.8 vs. 153.5
    LA: 158.2 vs. 152.8

Just as expected, in most cases we're talking of 10 here or 15 there. I doubt it'll make much of a difference. Perhaps a small plus for East Coast folks, but it's no cure for West Coast.

- Boris
:,(
Elsabet

Post by Elsabet »

Thanks for answering the question! I am glad most of the server's players have excellent connections. It looks like to me unless you live somewhere weird like I do, you're connection is fine.

I will find a hobby that a slowbie can do on Pangaea, since I will likely deal with incurable lag from time to time. It's not unplayable just slower than I am accustomed to and somewhat dangerous to health. While I am whining, it's a little tricky for us folks who have new characters AND slow connections to hunt. Many of the Despise mobs for example throw potions or hit really hard, to survive and play well you have to be able to kite and chase monsters around and heal on time. I can still hunt there yes but it is difficult. I won't be PVPing people from Amsterdam, ever! Slow connection instantly confers terribad-you-are-dead status :lol:

Thank you for listening to my West coast/American whining in good humor.

If there is a better server out there I'mm all for it! Donations all the way.

Here is what my tracert to Pangaea looks like on a good day. This isn't a horrible day where the French have locked up my packets in the Bastille. Leaseweb pings at 160 ms.

Tyrion

Post by Tyrion »

So, the traceroutes are available, we have some idea of options (regarding hosts), Boris stated we have the money available atm, I think I read that we had a couple hundred euros available, whats the next step?
Iktomi

Post by Iktomi »

Nothing that I've seen looked like it would provide enough of a speed difference to justify the pain involved in transferring hosts, etc.

Other GMs, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

Tyrion wrote:So, the traceroutes are available, we have some idea of options (regarding hosts), Boris stated we have the money available atm, I think I read that we had a couple hundred euros available, whats the next step?
There's no extra money. Everything we have is reserved for the current host.

We can do a 1 month trial on another server (meaning, we're paying for 2 hosts - a complete waste of money)... but as mentioned, the trial money needs to come out of someone's pockets. This time my pockets are empty as well.

- Boris
Leather armor is best for sneaking, because it's literally made from hide.
Tyrion

Post by Tyrion »

:(, whats the best course of action then for testing a new host? As I see it, we either wait for the current funds too exhaust themselves or start a fund drive for a new host. If cost savings is the goal as well as performance does it matter where the server is located, really? Doesn't Ares manage the server? Proxess mentioned before that Linux based hosting is both cost and technically effective in comparison too Windows hosting. Why is this option always ruled out? If it has too do with knowledge of Linux operating systems, then isn't this type of environment (free gaming) the best way too pick up a new skill?

Another question, has our service with the host changed or been downgraded at all? Like I've mentioned before, I am very sluggish. The two lines we tested on this host had a slow connection and a fast connection. It really seems like we have been downgraded based on the statistics of a tracert and mobility IG, back to the slow connection. Before, the speed was acceptable and comparable to our European bros. Slight differences in speed IG could be witnessed but now it is night and day. If the current host had a monitoring traffic option for viewing or at least some type of reporting available for staff to look at, it would really help to put my mind at ease that it is not the host. I suspect that the issue lies with the host though.
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

a) Irming owns and pays for the server.
b) The owners prefer Windows over Linux, simply because they're not familiar with Linux.
c) There haven't been any downgrades.

It's still very simple. We need more feedback on the presented IP's. If all (or majority) of the feedback is positive, we can do a 1 month trial - if that money comes out of somewhere. 1 month trials are usually a bit more expensive, so we're talking of 60-70€. If the trial is a success, we can consider changing hosts.

- Boris
Leather armor is best for sneaking, because it's literally made from hide.