Social networking sites?

Discuss here anything you like to, but keep a proper tone

Moderator: Game Masters

Cyrus Tegyr

Re: Social networking sites?

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Personally I hate FaceSpace and MyBook, they were, as my friend said it so poignantly after I was talking to him about Social Websites and said "The only reason I have one is because I signed up for it in high school and a bunch of my friends were on there." his poignant response was, "Exactly, they're something you do as a kid." I agree with it. I know this isn't the case for some but for me it is, I still have my FaceSpace account active and the only reason I log into it, which is about once every 6 months is if I am curious about someone I haven't heard from.

I am also sick of these types of websites cause now that celebrities have got a strangle hold on them, it's just taken it waay too far. "See what Lindsay Lohan's knickers look like", "Why was Justin Bieber dancing around in the nude with a guitar strapped to him", "Come see what Miley Cyrus did at this award show". I don't give a f*ck what any of these people do, their rich so they can get away with whatever the fuck they want. Than to make matters worse, news agencies use these sites to report about these things as if it is news, so even though I ignore 95% of everything on twitter, facebook, myspace...If I watch the news I get to hear about the worst of these god damn stories, its f*cking horrible. God forbid that these celebs should stay out of the limelight in their personal lives, instead they want to just f*cking post pictures of themselves in compromising situations because for some reason I guess half of the world wants to hear about it. I mean seriously, this is the reason I hate celebrity reality shows where they get B-D actors to be on these shows and these people will do anything to be on TV for those precious 5 minutes, it's the same thing in my opinion, useless tripe which does nothing for anyone except maybe tweenies who have the hots for Justin Bieber.

Sorry I know I went a little off topic but I'm just sick of social networking sites, they were a novel concept and the novelty has warn off completely. They're handy for things such as keeping up with the latest Art shows or other events but now that companies has seen the power of these sites, their basically the refuse bin for celebs and companies promoting more of their product. I know some people still use them to connect with people and more power to them but, seeing someone with like 1000+ friends on there, 90% of they've never met in real life or even heard that person's voice is just not good. I fully believe that social networking sites are destroying our personal social behavioral skills. If I worded that correctly it is early in the morning, that is, the social skills that people have to make personal connections with each other in the real world, literally in person connections as opposed to seeing Ravi who lives in India and thus you friend him because he likes Bollywood movies like you do.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

that's another discussion but i pretty much agree with you on the social behaviour and how annoying it is when celebs take over these sites
i myself have facebook and use it to check the events that i have on a regular basis with church groups, or dinner with friends and some facebook groups where ppl that belong to a common group put posts (like some sort of a forum)
Charha

Post by Charha »

One of my biggest concerns regarding social media apart from the lack of privacy is the bubble filter effect. Eli Pariser talks about the issue on TED. This video is worth checking out, if you haven't seen it already!
Ares

Post by Ares »

I quit Facebook a few years ago. I got tired of all the game notifications (I have silly sisters) and crap I didn't care about. Haven't missed it.
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Behavior on social networking sites isn't another discussion, it fits right into this one :D.

Too many knobheads running around on there posting pictures of themselves drunk, pissing on walls, kissing their cameras like I am supposed to find it hilarious. Posting cat pictures with "funny" captions.

My facespace page has literally no pictures of me because I do not need somebody I do not know able to point me out of a crowd, the least they could point out of a crowd as far as something I own is Bailey, my dog, she is my facebook picture.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Maximilian Lhoth

Post by Maximilian Lhoth »

http://pirateirc.net/

I miss oldschool irc/chat rooms. How about a pangaea chat room #pangaea there. It masks your IP.

Also I mostly like pangaea players even if some may not like me.