Social networking sites?

Discuss here anything you like to, but keep a proper tone

Moderator: Game Masters

Athan01

Social networking sites?

Post by Athan01 »

Social networking sites - whats anyones input regarding them?

I've recently deactivated facebook until future notice in my life due to wasting so much time finding out what other people are doing - when ultimately - who gives a f***?

What all social networking sites would you regularly go onto? im mainly using instagram and snapchat for now.

Just curious to see what the rest of you think about them all. Personally I hate twitter, though I never gave it a chance to be fair. Just the whole idea of following someones lives and knowing what they had for breakfast never appealed to me (i know thats a bad stereotype of a twitter user but you get the jyst of it)
dwight

Re: Social networking sites?

Post by dwight »

I find facebook, twitter and google plus cool, only for enterprises or my company stuff... for personal use, fuck all of them.. facebook is good to play some games and stuff... but all my social networks are RL or Pangaea and I don't think i need more :D
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

it does eat your entire life :P
i use facebook, but this "age" with the social networking and shit makes you wonder, the world and its people are upside down
Raemonn

Post by Raemonn »

FB is very useful to "connect" with people, because people are using it so much. I think it's easier to organize something with people via FB these days, than via phone or e-mail.

Other than that, I only really use it to act smug and smooty by dumping new music I find online, for my friends and "friends" to enjoy.

I also use LinkedIN. But that's purely for professional reasons.
Pigeon: 691-280-878
yuusou

Post by yuusou »

Raemonn hit the nail on the head, almost.
Facebook is for connecting with people and smoothly forcing them to listen to that new track you found in your tireless hours on youtube (before you reach the weird part of youtube).

LinkedIn is 100% professional and it's where I "got" my current job.

Twitter is good for companies and celebs to say shizzles and for you to read said #shizzles.

Google+ is for teh lolz... unfortunately (hint: it's better than Facebook).

Diaspora is... wow I thought you'd have stopped at G+.
Maximilian Lhoth

Post by Maximilian Lhoth »

thought of this thing recently!

sadly there is nothing available these days, except FB, the good part is at least people can choose whether to look at my wall or not, so they can't blame me if the quality of the content isn't satisfying.

mostly i look at walls of people involved with politics and plain politics all the time is no fun. the currently trendy thing to talk about is freedom of speech and how so called "far right" tries to make the "red/green" shut up, censor or shut down their pages/blogs and vice versa. luckily i'm quite a fencewalker and actually try to understand both sides, also both sides pretty much tolerate me, except the most hardcore.

ircnet, chats etc are pretty dead. okay, ircnet still has people but no more "normal" people as far as I know. pretty much the boring (in my opinion, and intolerant too) intellectual university elite scene. i have "my own" channel founded by me tho, and it's "FUBU" as in for village idiots by a village idiot, but that's a rather small channel and ¤%#¤¤%¤s have found their way there too.

loved the times when I was like 15-17, "normal" people (and less normal too) hanged out on same chat channels with no authority to kick anyone out. (no, i didn't troll but i did flame a lot of course, only for a reason, and i loved it as an hopeless adrenaline junkie)

i used to meet many new people in the public, open anonymous chats and early ircnet years (2001-2005?) and i actually liked many and many liked me. many i met in real life too. currently there's nothing like that available, FB has everyone.
Charha

Post by Charha »

I hate Facebook for the fact that I have very little control over who posts pictures of me on the internet. It's like every time I'm shit-faced in some party there's a group of people taking snapshots and tagging me. I hate it and it's no use telling people to stop because they do it anyway. I'd leave FB in an instant if it weren't an essential tool for contacting people in my field of work. I also dislike the way FB constantly expects me to share private information from my phone number and shoe size to my most daring sexual fantasies.

You lose some, you win some. LinkedIn is professional, sure, but it's more like a showcase. It might work for some, but it doesn't provide me with the connections and the information I need. :|
Iktomi

Post by Iktomi »

In the privacy settings on Facebook you can set it so that you have to approve all tags before they show up. So at the very least this is a minor level of protection. No more tagged photos of me licking puke off the bottom of a shoe!
Charha

Post by Charha »

I've pretty much set FB's privacy & security levels as tight as possible, but it doesn't help much when I've got about a hundred friends or so who all work in the same circles or otherwise know each other... I've got this somewhat annoying friend/colleague who's always taking pictures of me and my friends (especially when he's drunk) and he keeps posting them on his wall like some local celebrity news reporter. And everyone knows him, so whatever he posts on his wall, there it is: "this guy met this other guy, kissed him and then fell off his chair lol, be sure to see the rest of the pictures!!!!1"

I love connecting with people and attending to artsy-fartsy gallery nights and barmy social gatherings, but I need to learn to leave early. That is, before the social media photo shoot begins. :x
Iktomi

Post by Iktomi »

Smashing that dudes camera/phone seems like a pretty reasonable response if he won't stop... :p