World Cup 2014!

Discuss here anything you like to, but keep a proper tone

Moderator: Game Masters

Vaux27

Re: World Cup 2014!

Post by Vaux27 »

Come on Portugal, take care of Ghana. We'll gladly take a draw or one point loss from Germany, a win is asking a bit much at this stage. Still happy to see how we've played thus far, this is big for the future of American...futbol. Happy? Lol
632-140-419
Iktomi

Post by Iktomi »

Glarundis wrote:the only reason football is so well paid is not because it requires huge amounts of skill. it's because many ppl give money to the system

if ppl suddenly realized hockey is the best sport, or *gasp* curling, then curling players would be filthy rich, and the football players would just be normal sportsmen...
Football is so popular because it has a very low barrier to entry. All you need is a $5 ball and then 20 people can be playing, vs. hockey or curling which require expensive equipment and facilities (thereby excluding a vast majority of the world's population).
Vaux27

Post by Vaux27 »

USA!!!

USA!!!

USA!!!

632-140-419
Vaux27

Post by Vaux27 »

Iktomi wrote:
Glarundis wrote:the only reason football is so well paid is not because it requires huge amounts of skill. it's because many ppl give money to the system

if ppl suddenly realized hockey is the best sport, or *gasp* curling, then curling players would be filthy rich, and the football players would just be normal sportsmen...
Football is so popular because it has a very low barrier to entry. All you need is a $5 ball and then 20 people can be playing, vs. hockey or curling which require expensive equipment and facilities (thereby excluding a vast majority of the world's population).
Same goes for basketball in the US, all it takes is a ball and a hoop.
632-140-419
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

LOL Vaux

Anyway, there we go, even with Germany beating the USA Portugal still fucked up.
A well deserved end to a lousy journey.
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

portugal obviously didn't deserve to go through.
and even like that, we lost due to goal average :D

some of our mistakes were made by the players, but dammit, the team as a whole, in terms of tactical security is a gigantic fail, and that is paulo bento's problem..our defense is full of holes and we simply don't know what to do with the ball when we are on the opposite half of the field

officially rooting for netherlands and chile now
Oomari

Post by Oomari »

Dalton wrote:
Arden Darkfall wrote:
Oomari wrote:.
I realize it might not be very entertaining for you to be watching 22 men young enough to be your grandsons, but the rest of us are still about their age, old man. :P
guess i can send this pic back to you Dalton :p

As i understand it your country has played as a sack of carrots :-D
Mox

Post by Mox »

I personally hate the way Holland is playing, the only game which was interesting to watch was versus Spain (not due the fact they went 5-1). Other games they played were terrible, lousy defence and just sheer lucky goals.

Hopefully they will start playing decent matches from now on, albeit I doubt that
Tyrion

Post by Tyrion »

Any picks for winners in the round of 16? I'm heavily favoring Belgium to beat USA :P. They got top class and I believe, a team that goes down 1 man for an entire half and still creates goal scoring opportunities as well as SCORES is a team to be worried about. 2 or 3 - 1 vs. USA is my prediction.

I'll make a bold prediction and claim that Columbia will coast through to the semi, maybe even the final. Brazil / Chile are good teams but Columbia plays with numerous attacking options and most importantly play as a team. Brazil is made up of 1 or 2 attacking options and the same goes for Chile, to a degree. They'll have competition against either France or Germany.

I'm expecting to see France and Germany in the quarter as well as Netherlands and Belgium. If I had to guess on a final matchup I'd say Netherlands vs. Columbia.

I'm picking Switzerland over Argentina btw, 2 - 1 :P.

Any differing opinions?
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

brazil vs chile - chile, unless the referees continue their bullshit (which they probably will, since this world cup has been a failure when it comes to "justice")

colombia vs uruguay - probably the most exciting one, i have no idea who will win

netherlands vs mexico - netherlands

costa rica vs greece - costa rica

france vs nigeria - not entirely sure, although france probably

germany vs algeria - germany

argentina vs switzerland - unless argentina starts playing well, switzerland is gonna win

belgium vs usa - belgium