What have you been playing?

Discuss here anything you like to, but keep a proper tone

Moderator: Game Masters

Boern

Re: What have you been playing?

Post by Boern »

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (yummers!)

I had always wanted to get into a roguelike, but ASCII graphics and some weird mechanics always made me shy away from them. Yeah yeah I know, I'm a lowly casual. Stone Soup, on the other hand, is more or less everything I want from a roguelike. Nice looking tileset, plenty of variation in dungeons, tons of enemies and items, shedload of races and classes, rage-inducing deaths... all the good stuff. I haven't got too far yet before inevitably being ganged by a bunch of ogres or getting stabbed by an invisible summon when I thought I had already triumphed (shieeet!), but I'm having a blast trying out different combos.

Anyway, if you want to try it out, you can download it here: http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/downloads
Raegen Keenarrow

Post by Raegen Keenarrow »

Two games I recently started playing are 7 Days to Die (again) and Marvel Heroes. Although I just started playing Marvel Heroes last night and instantly got addicted. I might also check out DC Universe Online. =D

*Edit #1* --- Just watched your WoT video Zaradon. Wish I could get into rounds like that, but I'm too nub. I'm happy getting 3 kills or 4 at my best and doesn't happen too much, which sadly ends up being better than 80% of your team anyways. My brother is a more hardcore WoT fanatic though. I haven't played it in a while, but it sure was addictive. I only own a Tier 5 medium tank of some sort at best however. I can't remember what I was grinding for now. I did go down the French line once for their super speedy light tank and hated the slow slow sloooooooow moving grind of that one. I have a bit of updating to do before I can play again hehe.

*EDIT #2* --- Before knowing all the fine tuned details about this game that normally automatically turns me away from them. My brother downloaded DCUO and I decided to at least try it out before knocking it down. I will post in a couple screenshots along with my current review. I haven't done too much digging into the game as I have only spent a few hours playing so far. I've had a blast playing it though. It is "free" to play, however you're limited to things without buying membership. You have different options available to you. Pay monthly, yearly or even just buy their DLCs to unlock new stuff, etc. You're limited with 2 characters as a free player as well as cash capped and a bunch of other stuff that really-really sucks. You can keep accumulating cash, but it goes to a different "category" which you'll only have access to if you have a membership. I'm not sure how their membership works entirely, but by a quick look in their marketplace I see an option to buy a membership costing 500 of their game currencies. So who knows, maybe you can have full access without ever spending a dime. If there's ways around getting those game currencies in-game. Like some other MMO's do.

There is also both a PvP and PvE server. You get to customize how your character looks as well as the costume and it's colors. Who your "Mentor" is, be it villain or hero. Which also matters for where you'll start in the game. If you pick Batman as a Mentor you will start in Gotham City. If you pick Superman you will start in Metropolis just as two examples. What type of combat-style you'll use. Be it melee with dual-wielding, two-handed or 1-handed. Perhaps you want to be a martial artist or you just want to brawl with fists! There's various different choices in style. Range away with various types of guns or be like Green Arrow and use a bow. Maybe you want to shoot fire, ice or lightning among other elements and abilities. You know, hero & villain stuff. Play any role you like in so many different styles. Do you hate the Five-O? Wreck havoc in cities then and destroy cops with your villainous powers. Be it human-like or imbued with alien or even magical powers itself like sorcery. Defend your citizens like any good hero would and fight against player villains. Ever had an idea of a hero or villain you would like to see in a comic? Build your own with the many combinations granted to you through the game.

This shall conclude my review I have so far of the game. I may not remain playing it after I get further and further in and find there's just too many options taken away from free members, but I'm at least happy to have gave it a shot. I may even end up buying a yearly subscription some day or just get their DLCs from time to time. DCUO and Marvel Heroes have both been great fun so far and I will continue playing both when I can. We haven't given up progress on making our own. That project is still in the works. Though we do need to have fun ourselves outside of all that struggle.

Here's a looksy at my first Hero. I shall call him.... Ninjakong. King Kong's not the only one who likes climbing high towers. That's not his real name mind you. Though I love how I can put on a pair of shades and change
the color at any time. Making me look like I have glowing eyes matching my suits glow. : )

Did I forget to mention he's currently supporting dual-wielding axes? He started with swords, but someone took his cookies and now he's gone berzerk. : )

Sigh... now I want to play again after posting this. I must head to bed though. Tomorrow perhaps!
Last edited by Raegen Keenarrow on Thu May 29, 2014 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zaradon

Post by Zaradon »

WoT is pretty fun, i might upload some more vids but the quality will suck due to my shitty laptop.

Your brother is probably in the US server and might never see me in the battlefield, but it surely is fun to have a working teamplay and stuff alike.
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

i saw a wot youtube video just to see how it was.
it looks like the game has potential, but wtf is with all the "help" that is given to you by showing where your enemies are with indicators and shit...you can even "see" an enemy tank when he's beyond some bushes or whatever, because you have his name on the screen :S
Raegen Keenarrow

Post by Raegen Keenarrow »

Glarundis - Well you can upgrade your tanks radio for instance that allows you bigger radius alerts of an enemy tank. Doesn't mean they are there, it's just where you've detected one. Sometimes it's just showing where one was last detected off a fallen comrade. Though if someone is completely camouflaged (and can be done) you won't see them through bushes, but you can still ninja-kill people even though you don't see anyone. It's happened to me before where people just shoot randomly through bushes and got a lucky shot 1-hitting me and then they laugh and do the "OMG did I really just kill someone? I was just shooting random!". Although tanks will be dis-appearing and re-appearing all the time on your radar if you are close enough for your radio to pick-up. You can use perks/upgrade your tanks crew abilities etc or whatever that allows better hiding among other stuff. However if your tank's body is sticking out of a bush, you will be seen just like real life. There's literally tanks you can not even dent though, so not like it matters if you always spot someone. Trust me, it's not as bad as it may look. You will die a lot unexpectedly. There's tons of opportunities for both sides. It's fun and is all about PvP so, why not give it a shot? Games like this are where I take my PvP cravings. Don't expect you'll have an enemy killed just because you have him on your screen. His gun could reload quicker or could be more accurate at range than your tanks. It could do more damage than your tank from range. You also need to take in the crosshairs aim. Make sure you're not shooting while it's not scoped in or you won't even be hitting the broadside of a barn. They try to make these tanks as accurate as possible to the real world wars tanks. Each have their strengths and weaknesses over other tanks. You have your scouts, your snipers, your heavies in your face and your bombarding artillery on your side. Although if you are spotted and you're not shooting anyone, you better be moving or artillery may destroy you in 1 shot if you're behind no cover. There's of course angles that Arty can't hit, though ricochet still hurts and can be the final damage your tank needs to die. Also I will say that a lower tier tank can destroy a higher tier tank depending what they are and what shells they use. So as an example my one Tier 5 medium tank can win against some Tier 7 arty / light / mediums and maybe some limited heavy tanks.

On a side note about seeing enemies on screen. If they're moving around in a bush for instance, yes you will see them. However, if they stop moving for a short bit they will be hidden again and vanish off your screen. That includes moving your barrel too I believe. Complete stop.

I think the highest tier is 10. At least when I last played it was. Quite often I get put in higher tier battles which I don't like. Since there's so many tanks I just can't even dent with my tank, but I can run circles around a lot of tanks all day long and not get hit (If you're pro enough) on my scout tank. Some tanks are just meant to alert the bigger guns or reveal enemy tanks for artillery to kick in. Such a hard tank to play I find though.. Arty. So many whine and curse at you on your team, not knowing how difficult and slow they can be. Especially reloads or locking in the aim. Also, if you'd like.. search up videos done by Jingles. I think his YouTube name is BohemianEagle. Can't be for sure. It's who my brother watches and learns from. He's been getting so powerful in that game because of watching good players like Jingles. There's one other WoT addict that's awesome in his videos. I just can't remember the name. He's from across the pond though. These two guys explain so much about the game and what they're doing. Reveal tanks weaknesses, strengths, where to shoot etc. Just don't have volume up too loud for when Jingles laughs. It's loud.

Zaradon - Yes. I do believe he's in the US servers, so you's wouldn't see eachother. I do agree it would be nice to get involved in teamplay instead of tossed in with a bunch of randoms that sometimes just kill their own team mates cause they can't hunt their prey I guess? My brother was "banned" for 20 minutes for killing 2 friendlies trying to kill him. One was shooting while the other was ramming him. So there is some crap I think should be *fixed*, even though it's not *broken*. I've had to kill my own team mates cause they were attacking my brother before. That crap don't fly by me. I'd do the same for anyone on our team. Your blood, is my blood. Who knows... maybe we could arrange something so we could all group up with each other on a schedule. Which is hard giving our time zone differences. I don't mind starting new in that game. My brother might not want to give up on his tanks though. He may sacrifice for better team play though. Plus he'd still have his current accounts to go play in the off-times anyway.
Ondoher

Post by Ondoher »

League of Legends and Arma 3.
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

Qual-Kehji wrote:It's fun and is all about PvP so, why not give it a shot? Games like this are where I take my PvP cravings.
gotta get a better computer before i try that out.
almost finishing my degree, so it may be not so many months from now :P
why else do you think i play games like soldat and uo? :D
Ricardus

Post by Ricardus »

Well i went back to WoW and latest lineage2 game =)
Oomari

Post by Oomari »

7D2D and serious thinking about buying WatchDogs
Maximilian Lhoth

Post by Maximilian Lhoth »

Boern wrote:Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (yummers!)

I had always wanted to get into a roguelike, but ASCII graphics and some weird mechanics always made me shy away from them.
I liked the ASCII ones even; ADOM, Angband. Never found Nethack interesting tho.

A less frustrating and prettier one, but otherwise DCSS-like roguelike would be Tales of Maj'Eyal which I mentioned earlier: http://www.te4.org/ | http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cmg6-4JHpo

Lots of different, working builds for classes is the best thing. You can even choose paths, like going "antimagic" which in practice means you get survivability (elemental protection, constant health regeneration) but going antimagic also means you can't invest so many points in your combat stats&abilities or racial abilities. The world map is fixed, ADOM-like, but the different dungeons/fighting zones such as forests are generated randomly except for certain rooms with a boss. A major difference from DCSS is that you invest points in abilities instead of learning by doing.

Also you need to unlock things by accomplishing certain goals (unlocking the ice tree for archmage&necromancer classes, for example, requires dealing 1 000 000 cold damage, which is not easily done). I've unlocked all races and all classes except the Doomed class. Getting things unlocked with time instead of having them all available keeps things interesting as you get more character types to try out. Of course they can be hacked open but it's cheating!