Johnny Walac wrote:Give me UO.
James Blackburn

Re: What have you been playing?

Post by James Blackburn »

give to johnny uo
Sane Burkz

Post by Sane Burkz »

Been playing lots of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd with friends. It's a PSP game but it works flawless with an emulator and you can even play online with friends.

Also playing a bit of Hearthstone and Fire Emblem: Awakening.
Boern

Post by Boern »

Bump boys!

Imagine this. Ultima Online style isometric gameplay, in 3D, and everything is based on physics; movement, fighting, everything. Wouldn't that be crazy? It is crazy! That's Exanima.

Okay let's be honest here, the movement and fighting takes some time to get used to. First you feel like a drunken bumbling idiot bumping into walls and faceplanting over whatever household item happens to be in your way. But after a while, you still feel like a bumbling idiot but only slightly less so. Fighting is super frustrating but, ah, yet so satisfying. When you finally connect with your haymaker and hear your adversary groan in pain and tumble on the floor, it's like "hell yeah, dance like a smashed butterfly, sting like a nearsighted bee!". Then the next guy comes and turns your face into red pulp with a single swing of his huge axe. Aww, goddamnit.

I mostly played the arena mode but there's also a "story" mode where you have to crawl through a dungeon. There's no map, so 90% of the time I felt lost and ran around in circles trying to find where I'm supposed to go or where the sneaky zombies had hidden a key. I swear I once spent an hour trying to find where to fit my key before realizing I had to backtrack all the way to the beginning and go through a locked door there... Aaa whatever, progress! A few rooms later I fell into a pit and died because I didn't have my torch out and couldn't see. Shit.

A guy walks into a dungeon, and into a door, and into a chair, and into a crate, and into a pit... Fuck this game, it's great.
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

just checked it, it looks very promising
Boern

Post by Boern »

Ooh! I found UnReal World on Steam! It's like a roguelike survival RPG taking place in Iron Age Finland. This game has been in development since sometime about 1992 and I remember playing this when I was a kid. But you know how kids are. They're dumb as a box of rocks and I was no different. So I didn't really get anywhere in this game. Now though, now I'm old and wise and... old.

The UI is still clunky and you have to memorize a bunch of hotkeys to do anything. You can learn the ropes in a nice task-based tutorial which teaches all the basics of how to survive in a spooky forest. I decided to build my shelter, made of a few twigs and couple leaves, in the middle of a nice village. The villagers gave me some disapproving looks but said nothing. Heey cool, accurate portrayal of Finland! I finally broke the ice a few days later by gifting the town's sage a rock I just had picked up off the ground. He accepted my gift and seemed genuinely thankful. So I guess I was one of them now? Maybe?

One of my tasks was to do some tracking. I travelled for days without finding a single track for any creature. Eventually, I came across a fellow adventurer who had a cool mug I wanted. I started peppering him with arrows and he tried to flee but finally fell unconscious. I finished him off with a couple (took like five) slashes from my trusty knife at his neck. Then I noticed I already had a similar mug in my inventory. Oh... But hey! As I was chasing him, I guess I saw his tracks and it triggered the tracking task. Boom, serendipity by murder.

Now I was lost in the forest without food, and apparently I was the worst fisherman in all of ancient Finlandia. A few days later I caught influenza and died.

You can get the game for about 10€ on Steam or for free on their website. I won't judge you if you pick it up for free, you terrible terrible person.