graphics card

Discuss here anything you like to, but keep a proper tone

Moderator: Game Masters

Glarundis

graphics card

Post by Glarundis »

ok here's the thing

my laptop has one of those standard graphics card, an intel hd graphics 4000, which is random shit, and then it has a geforce 840m

shouldn't the computer autoadjust what graphics card it should be using, or even be using both at all times?

for some reason i think it's not, because when playing hitman absolution, whose game should be able to be played in full graphics according to game-debate.com, i have an average of 30fps with low/mid graphic settings...wtf..

i just installed gta iv (it's a freaking game from 2008 ffs!!!) and when i go to the options it tells me that the settings are too much for my system and i can't even change the details to high quality or whatever.. i can only downgrade it from medium to low (or off in some situations)..

so what's the problem?is it just using the intel hd graphics 4000 by default, or what?
Glarundis

Re: graphics card

Post by Glarundis »

nvm it's my first time using a computer with two graphics cards lol, i didn't know you had to set the game to "run with this graphic card", i think it would always choose the best graphics card for games and the integrated one for normal things like browsing the web, etc..silly me
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

hitman absolution

geforce 840m

low res: 13fps (wtf?!)
high res: 12 fsp (wtf?!)

intel hd

low res: 17fps (wtf?!)
high res: 9fps (wtf?!)

help!
lol
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

i deactivated the intel hd in my device manager, i can't even open gta iv like that lol..what's weirder, i can't open my geforce options because it says i don't have that gpu connected to this monitor...so, i don't know shit about computers, but does it make sense that i'm not using my geforce, but for some weird reason i need to have the intel hd activated to atleast access the geforce options?why?

if i have intel hd deactivated, can't even access geforce options
if i have intel hd activated, i can access geforce options, but even if i choose to use that when using programs like my games, it's not really using that graphics card..

help!
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

some more info for you computer geeks out there to help me

on my device manager both gpu are listed

on screen resolution -> advanced settings, only the intel hd is there

running dxdiag, everything is fine. i also saw from there that the geforce is an integrated ramdac, whatever that may be.

also, intel hd shows that it has like almost 2gb of memory (lol no way?!) but only like 30 dedicated which is what gta iv was showing that i had available.

i've checked some forums online and the problem may be that the monitor cable may not be connected to the graphics card...what kind of weird situation/mistake is that?do you just have a monitor and attach it to 1 graphics card and then have 2 graphics card on a computer?erm...
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

what a mess...i'm tired of googling for answers and shit...there can be so many problems...
and now i find that my bios is some new uefi shit where i can't even check for my system configuration and look at the graphics mode and check for switchable and shit like that...

why can't these companies check that shit is compatible before they assemble computers?
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Which computer is it even? Besides have you checked forums concerning that specific model?

I have a doubt that updating graphic drivers might help with this case.

EDIT: Best bet is most likely to contact the shop that sold it and have it refunded, if it wont start working properly.
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

asus x550l
intel hd graphics 4000
ge force 840m

i looked somewhere and it said that both graphics cards are connected and the nvidia is a co-processor and it just sends data through the intel hd or something like that, that's why if i disable the intel hd it says the nvidia is not connected to this monitor..the thing is, when the intel hd is activated, the damn nvidia is also not connected to the monitor and is never helping...that's what puzzles me...i think i may just have to send this piece of shit back to them and get a refund (or a new one of this kind, if this one is faulty)...

according to every possible place i checked on my computer, the geforce is working fine...device manager, speccy, geforce experience, everything says the graphics card is there and working...
kl1

Post by kl1 »

Make sure your drivers are up to date?

Also laptop running with two (integrated/dedicated) graphic core always run under one of the two. On my laptop there's a button to switch mode (ATI card, also available in one of the menus somewhere). Also make sure your running in that mode?

And sorry to say that but that graphic card is not really a "good" graphic card. :(

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

i know it's not a "really good" card, but it should be enough to run hitman absolution at more than 20fps on medium quality no?it's a game from 2012, and it's medium quality...i mean...come on...it's not crysis

i've found a workaround, but i'm still a bit unsure as to wether my "good" (:P) graphics card is running or not..i made some changes so that gta "thinks" that i have more memory for graphics than it thinks i have (i do have that memory!) and apparently now it runs...stupid piece of sh*t game that can't check for virtual memory and stuff...bah

edit:

for instance, notebookcheck.net says that my graphics card should have 37fps average on medium quality hitman absolution...and i have like 24 :S it's even irrelevant if i play it on lower quality, the fps doesn't increase..i wonder if i need some specific setting on my graphics card panel turned on?or on the graphics options in the game turned off?