Where to find....

Discuss here anything you like to, but keep a proper tone

Moderator: Game Masters

Biggs

Where to find....

Post by Biggs »

Hi,

A friend of mine is setting up a epoch sever for armor 3.
His looking at getting a website but doesn't know where to start, neither do I.

He'll probly want his own .com domain name no /penguin chat.co.nl (you get the idea :P)

- Biggs
Thoran

Re: Where to find....

Post by Thoran »

It depends on what he'll be requiring. Firstly will he be running the game server on his own computer or aim to run it from a web server? Or rather does he have a server already?

If he requires a server for the game, my points on it are these:

It probably cant be run on a linux server so that makes it somewhat difficult or rather more expensive, as most Virtual Private Servers resellers provide only Ubuntu or Debian.

I have now used a rather cheap Linux VPS for several months (rackburst.net) and the network is quite good. But I do not know if it is enough for some heavy game servers.

The hardest thing will probably be to find a cheap server with enough monthly bandwidth to provide game servers, as there will be quite much of transfers, especially if there will be alot of players. The options really these days are either buying a VPS that you manage and config pretty much yourself. Or then you could buy a server specifically for some game as providers like (https://www.gameservers.com/game_servers/arma3.php) are selling. Usually these "specific servers are alot more costly than running a VPS.

If he just needs a server for the website:

Well this again depends, for if he already has a computer for the game server, he could just install apache to it and start running a website on the same computer, or then just buy a cheap linux VPS or a website server for it.

Domain:

Buying a domain today is quite simple since there are alot of resellers for them (Buydomains, Godaddy, Hostgator, etc). Using them in most cases are quite simple since the reseller provides usually some sort of a control panel where you can just enter a IP-address and they will handle the redirection.

For starters and testing purposes there are quite many free doimain providers, but usually those are somewhat ugly (ex. domainname.free.server.badexample.com). if you want a somewhat "beautiful" free domain you can get one from Dot.tk as they sell .tk domains. This would yield you domainname.tk address that you can use freely for 1-2 years.
Tyrion

Post by Tyrion »

Possible to use the funds donated to PangPol for the new server? If not, perhaps starting a new fund-drive would be worthwhile.
Biggs

Post by Biggs »

Thanks for the replays I'll forward them on show you the results soon I hope.

He'll probly go for the .tk option as his already renting a dedicated server through the game or somat I donno much about it tbh, but it just comes ready packaged.

Does anyone play any arma 3 mods here?

- Biggs
Iktomi

Post by Iktomi »

Tyrion wrote:Possible to use the funds donated to PangPol for the new server? If not, perhaps starting a new fund-drive would be worthwhile.
Suspect that there's very little left, and right now the PangRunUO has very few costs, so it's not a huge priority. The POL server is set to shutdown on Jan1st, so will check with Irming then to get the funding details transferred over.