Re: About robberies

Post by Aznar »

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Some options for those who don't like being robbed:
- form your own robber guild
- form a new guild that does the work of the old Order of Law
- don't go out alone
- don't wear your best gear
- try and roleplay with the robbers and actually have some fun. Grinding for loot can become quite boring after a while and interacting with robbers might be a welcome change, if only you allow it to be.

In any case, I suggest to stop all whining. Whining never got anyone anywhere.
Pangaea without robbers won't be Pangaea. It isn't a 'carebear' shard so you shouldn't feel safe all the time. Pangaea is great because there are dangers, be it from players or monsters. A game without challenges is no game at all.
Also, robbers provide a valuable service to the shard economy, as mentioned many times before. If nobody could ever lose their gear, merchants would lose their a lot of their purpose.
Back when I first started playing on Pangaea many many years ago, I got robbed a lot by some very dangerous people (Gabriz McCree, Korec, Rollew, to name a few) and I hated it, but I also loved the excitement and adrenaline I got from facing them and simply knowing I am never truly safe. Being confronted like that activates your survival instincts. "Should I fight or should I run? Or should I simply cooperate?". You'll have to decide quickly. It's thrilling! We need thrills!
James Blackburn

Post by James Blackburn »

Gorath Blackmind wrote:
James Blackburn wrote:
Gorath Blackmind wrote:How the hell can you whine now that there's 4 robbers on the whole shard? Back in the day there were more players, sure, but also a ton of robbers, WORSE robbers and even guilds made solely to kick your noob ass. I got robbed quite a few times before I learned to avoid them as best as I could. Learned to know the guys who rob, got together with some people rather than hunting alone, the use of invisi pots and other goodies, and so on. Now we have it easy. Of course it sucks to lose you gear and get killed, but as stated before, it's ALWAYS been a part of the game. If there was no possibility of ever getting killed, why the hell even play the game? For the breath-taking risk of dying to a monster?
It has not been part of game for last 3 or 4 years, just saying
Then you've had it way too easy, there's no pang without robbers.
Law was enought for me on my tek char :D and i'm not saying that robbing should dissapear, just pointing out that it hasn't allways been part of the game as you all oldies want, when i came back to playing pang, which was 3 years ago, there was no robbers around at all, at some point johnny and quin tried again, but gave up quite fast on robbing people, I have no idea what robbers do now, but those 1 or 2 times I've met robber in during those 3 years were quite lame ''give me all your stuff or die'' few secs, bams bams, i run away, hopefuly it ain't so lame nowdays
James Blackburn

Post by James Blackburn »

Aznar wrote:If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Some options for those who don't like being robbed:
- form your own robber guild
- form a new guild that does the work of the old Order of Law
- don't go out alone
- don't wear your best gear
- try and roleplay with the robbers and actually have some fun. Grinding for loot can become quite boring after a while and interacting with robbers might be a welcome change, if only you allow it to be.

In any case, I suggest to stop all whining. Whining never got anyone anywhere.
Pangaea without robbers won't be Pangaea. It isn't a 'carebear' shard so you shouldn't feel safe all the time. Pangaea is great because there are dangers, be it from players or monsters. A game without challenges is no game at all.
Also, robbers provide a valuable service to the shard economy, as mentioned many times before. If nobody could ever lose their gear, merchants would lose their a lot of their purpose.
Back when I first started playing on Pangaea many many years ago, I got robbed a lot by some very dangerous people (Gabriz McCree, Korec, Rollew, to name a few) and I hated it, but I also loved the excitement and adrenaline I got from facing them and simply knowing I am never truly safe. Being confronted like that activates your survival instincts. "Should I fight or should I run? Or should I simply cooperate?". You'll have to decide quickly. It's thrilling! We need thrills!
and again, pangaea ain'tt pangaea without robbers, but guess what, it was for 3 - 4 years,

merchants have lost their purpose the moment everyone started to have them for their own needs and mostly items never break, you ain't doing anything good for economy, while its true that if im robbed i have to buy new armor, at same time you have mine and you won't have to buy it, the item you take doesn't dissapear
Aznar

Post by Aznar »

James Blackburn wrote: and again, pangaea ain'tt pangaea without robbers, but guess what, it was for 3 - 4 years,

merchants have lost their purpose the moment everyone started to have them for their own needs and mostly items never break, you ain't doing anything good for economy, while its true that if im robbed i have to buy new armor, at same time you have mine and you won't have to buy it, the item you take doesn't dissapear
I haven't been around actively the last few years, that's true, but I simply can't imagine a Pangaea without robbers. It must have been...well...boring as hell.

A good robber would rarely have to buy any gear, that's true, but the non-robbers outnumber the robbers at least 9 to 1. If a robber gets killed and looted, he has spare supplies from earlier robberies. Where do you think non-robbers get their new gear when they get looted (assuming they don't mule, which is a big assumption, I know)?
And sure, robbers could probably hoard lots of robbed goods, but at some point their containers will be full. Do you want to take a guess what happens to the excess items?
tehsquish

Post by tehsquish »

Sorry Rauno I wasn't trying to swear at you - and yeah you're right I probably shouldn't.

I'm just saying robbers behavior in game is normal - and you have to learn to deal with it - but they also don't need to come on the forums and act like jerks to newbies or people who are upset.
Zaradon

Post by Zaradon »

tehsquish wrote:but they also don't need to come on the forums and act like jerks to newbies or people who are upset.

+1

And not only that, the IG behaviour does not really differ either.
What i want to say is, robbers who RP a cocky/hating junk are not likely to get any co-operating with their victim either.
So it's pretty much attitude vs. attitude if the robbers want to have some "original" robberies.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Zaradon wrote:And not only that, the IG behaviour does not really differ either.
What i want to say is, robbers who RP a cocky/hating junk are not likely to get any co-operating with their victim either.
So it's pretty much attitude vs. attitude if the robbers want to have some "original" robberies.
And these words from the most robbed person on whole shard, no need to wonder why he is one of the most robbed persons alltime.
Zaradon

Post by Zaradon »

Ivan wrote:
Zaradon wrote:And not only that, the IG behaviour does not really differ either.
And these words from the most robbed person on whole shard, no need to wonder why he is one of the most robbed persons alltime.

This was pretty un-constructive/offtopic comment which is not needed, which is not the first one coming from you.

wtf are our staff doing? some ppl diserve jailing already, where are our forum tamers?!
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Its constructive in the sense to notify people not to take your "tips" about robbery matters. You cant hide the facts even if you wish. Also topic is about robberies and this is related to the original topic, by giving information about your "experiences" from which you draw your conclusions from.
Tyrion

Post by Tyrion »

Tyrion wrote:Sandbox server or GM managed via Law? I'd vote for the FORMER all day bey bey :-)!

I would caution the would be robbers to use common sense. Don't ruin someone else experience for the thrill of a 5 minute chase. I know it's a grey area but try to judge the situation. Obviously we all want to see the player base rise. New characters or newbs to Pangaea culture are the lifeblood of this server and if they get scared off too soon, player base goes South.
I meant to say FORMER! *facepalm*