Assassinations!

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

What would need to change for you to start paying for assassinations?

It is good as it is.
17%
The assassinations need to be made easier.
7%
The materials need to be made easier to obtain/find (leather assassin hood + kryss)
12%
The items you need + time you need + rare opportunities + only 1 specific item lootable don't make it worth it.
31%
The penalties for being assassinated need to be changed, so that it's actually worth it
33%

Total votes: 42

Gorath Blackmind

Re: Assassinations!

Post by Gorath Blackmind »

Ivan wrote:Do you need to backstab to it take effect? imo it should be limited to backstab only.
My thoughts too.
Monad
Game Master

Post by Monad »

Gorath Blackmind wrote:
Ivan wrote:Do you need to backstab to it take effect? imo it should be limited to backstab only.
My thoughts too.
Monad wrote:Me and Ares have been playing around with the thought of assassin curse potion usable only in assassinations. When applied on a kryss and strike on the target it would curse the victim
But yes, only on backstabs if I wasn't clear enough.
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

ok we're getting somewhere.
i personally don't give a fuck about the 1 item lootable
what are the chances of actually finding the guy with that one item, and one item only, that you're allowed to loot?

now, even if 1 or 2 weeks seem harsh, assassinations are hundred times harder than stoning. how many stonings and how many assassinations have there been?...
but it didn't have to be that time, it could be a curse like some people are suggesting. but it needs to be something that will make it worth to have someone assassinated. that should be the whole purpose of assassination. it will destroy that person so badly (can't be permanent ofc) that the contractor will bother paying hundreds for it, and the assassin will bother risking hundreds and possibly spending hours for it. if we find it's still too hard to assassinate, it could be made easier, but the penalty also lighter.

the main idea here is, it must be worth it for the players to assassinate someone. and to be worth it, it has to be a pain to the victim. sucks to be looted when you die in pvp, but that's the game isn't it?

when you die, there are bad consequences for you. and dying to an assassination means there will be even worse consequences for you. and that should be the entire point of it, neutralizing a character (not a player). if you guys get so pissed because you can't play with one of your chars for a few days then there's something wrong. you have the rest of your account.

congrats on the gm's thinking of new stuff (potions and shit) but i think instead of just adding the ideas they should remember to always fine-tune it to be the best possible. if there are no assassinations clearly it's either too hard or too irrelevant, and if there are too many assassinations it's too easy. so please try to remember it in this idea and all other class changes and stuff, that you need to evaluate if it needs to be changed a little to the left or a little to the right
Monad
Game Master

Post by Monad »

Glarundis wrote: congrats on the gm's thinking of new stuff (potions and shit) but i think instead of just adding the ideas they should remember to always fine-tune it to be the best possible. if there are no assassinations clearly it's either too hard or too irrelevant, and if there are too many assassinations it's too easy. so please try to remember it in this idea and all other class changes and stuff, that you need to evaluate if it needs to be changed a little to the left or a little to the right
Yes of course we cannot make everything work on paper but we need to evaluate the changes in practice aswell, and that's what we do all the time. But what you're saying is not the whole picture. I'd say many times (without pointing fingers but just stating my observations during the years as staff) it's also because players have accustomed to certain habit or certain way of how something works, and if we introduce a new or improved way to do it, it's many times ignored or not used properly because they are not yet used to it. Good example is this assassin hood where people try to use it in middle of religious battles and complain it doesn't work, whereas its purpose is to improve what assassins are about - assassinations.

I'm not stubborn or arrogant and claming that the changes what we make and players don't like are players fault, but what I'm saying is that if something is not used or doesn't work as intended, we usually ask reasons and feedback from players why is it so. If they bring up a point what we haven't thought about, of course we try to fix it to make it better, but many times the questions which we ask works also as a little kick in the butt for players to step out of their comfort zone and test something new properly before dumping the idea as stupid or non-useful.
jason.taylor

Post by jason.taylor »

more than one week curse is too harsh, one week is enough
Vaux27

Post by Vaux27 »

I would like to see some actual Assassinations make it's return to Pang, that curse would make things interesting with some real RP.