Assassinations!

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

What would need to change for you to start paying for assassinations?

It is good as it is.
17%
The assassinations need to be made easier.
7%
The materials need to be made easier to obtain/find (leather assassin hood + kryss)
12%
The items you need + time you need + rare opportunities + only 1 specific item lootable don't make it worth it.
31%
The penalties for being assassinated need to be changed, so that it's actually worth it
33%

Total votes: 42

Monad
Game Master

Re: Assassinations!

Post by Monad »

Zaradon wrote:The hoods should not only help one to hide, but also coat the identity of the Assasin.
They do. You become "a hooded figure" with the hood on…
Zaradon

Post by Zaradon »

Alright, cool - but does it apply when you're revealed? Or even used the .backstab command?

It will eventually reveal you from hidden.
Monad
Game Master

Post by Monad »

Zaradon wrote:Alright, cool - but does it apply when you're revealed? Or even used the .backstab command?

It will eventually reveal you from hidden.
As long as you have the hood on.
Darian Darkmind

Post by Darian Darkmind »

Momath wrote:That doesn't make sense at all... assassins that don't get bounty by killing ppl?
You are a bad assassin if you get caught of the murder. The beauty of the whole assassination is not getting caught. A skilled assassin should be just what it is, a skilled assassin. No one knows who he is or what he does. So yes, it doesn't make sense that assassins are turned red, because no one knows who you are. I pesonally don't think they should receive the MC either, because if they do, Law can check whom he has killed and will find out who is an assassin. If you want to keep track of them, perhaps another list can be done that keeps track of assassinations alone and is something Law or no one else but GMs can check. Perhaps an own command ".assassinate" which records the assassination to its own list.

I was thinking that assassinations could be equal to imprisonment penalty-wise. After all, both require good RP and are thus "compareable". The difference is, where imprisonment is a punishment from a religion, assassinations are accesable to non-religious people as well. There should be a huge penalty to skills for a lot longer than what Monad suggested. Maybe a succesful assassination should halve ALL your skills and stats for two weeks, or better yet keep you as a ghost (dead) for two weeks. Having severe penalty to the victim justifies it being hard, but also gives them a lot more business when people can "de-active" their enemies for two weeks. Also, there's no need to loot any items this way.

And before people start whining about two weeks being too lond, two weeks as a ghost or with dropped skills is no worse than being imprisoned. In fact it's better because even if you can't do anything, you can still RP around with it.
Simmo

Post by Simmo »

I say big no about those restricting things " 2 weeks " and such. If i wouldnt play, sure i would suggest even a month or two. But i play daily this game and i say no. Its oldass game and our shard has low playerbase, doubt you wanna kill it more with such stuff. That 24h is enough.
Palma

Post by Palma »

Disabling players seems to me just one more thing to be annoying to people and log out.
Darian Darkmind

Post by Darian Darkmind »

Simmo wrote:I say big no about those restricting things " 2 weeks " and such. If i wouldnt play, sure i would suggest even a month or two. But i play daily this game and i say no. Its oldass game and our shard has low playerbase, doubt you wanna kill it more with such stuff. That 24h is enough.
Well seems like you and I have a different view in assassination.

I don't mean a backstab that kills a player would result in 2 weeks cool-down. I meant an assassination that is RPed, hired and paid with a contract to last for 30 days. Assassination is not an easy or fast thing to pull of. Remember, to succesfully do an assassination, the assassin might have to wait for his victim many hours if not days just to get a glimpse of him. And even then he can fail. So if an assassin might have to spend hours upon hours just waiting to have a chance at killing his victim, then the penalty and reward should reflect that. I'd be a lot more willing to hire an assassin to kill Zarek if I knew it disabled his character for a week or two. Hell, I could consider start playing my own assassin if there was a real business for it - and real business is only established once it's worth it for all parties.

Two weeks might be a bit harsh for a game, but at least a week shouldn't kill anyone. After all, we have other characters to play not to mention a small break from UO every now and then does good for all of us. If your life falls apart because you're unable to play one of your characters for a week or two, you should take a good look at that life of yours.
Ares

Post by Ares »

I think a big skillcurse would work well. I'd implement some kind of strength system in the potion, so the more of ingredient X you add the longer the curse, and the higher the price (up to some maximum of course).

If we settle for 24-48 hours it might work against a headpriest before a town siege attempt, but if it's a merchants union trying to punish a merchant for not playing ball we'd need like a week for it to have the deterring effect we're looking for.

We have an idea for ingredient X in mind, and it won't be cheap.
Gorath Blackmind

Post by Gorath Blackmind »

Do you need high poisoning skill to apply it?
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Do you need to backstab to it take effect? imo it should be limited to backstab only.