Did you start here alone?

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

Did you have a friend helping you at the start of your Pangaea career?

Yes, friend helped me in the beginning
59%
Nope, started alone and didn't receive any before getting to know the other players
41%

Total votes: 95

Stale

Re: Did you start here alone?

Post by Stale »

Having played the original Ultima series, I had to try UO and solo played for a good long time with my warrior solo. I think I joined shortly after Pang had been started, just after JE ended. Over the years, many helped out. Arthur (Darkstar?!?) with his huge house in Trinsic was one of the first that helped me out, rescued me a million times and I remember sold me my Royal plate set at discount, and once gave me a Solar Longsword... (back when it sold for 20k) - and there's another chap, I just cannot remember the name of anymore (*cries*) - we used to have a lot of fun in Trinsic (please help? first to create a merchant with 65 in all skills? always wore a dolphin leather set? How can I forget?!) - sending birds as soon as Law was on the move (well, I at least did), keeping Imperial and Tekstone in the loop - combined we owned a lot of houses in Trinsic for a while, covering all entrances. Esmeralda, Melkor, Freia and others came along, and especially Essie and I figured out a lot together. I was faffing around in Nature, I seem to vaguely remember Irming being HP(?), Irming deffo helped me out early, early on. When Imperial was created, is around the time I started really figuring the game out. I think Daermon and Hades probably thought me the most about the game those days... So much fun, what was the Alchy again... Sparkfist (or was that my old alchy...hmmm, forget)? I laughed a lot at that Alchy character of Daermon I seem to remember. I have forgotten a lot :/ Pang has always had a lot of people willing to help and a lot of fun. Glad I decided to play again in my old age... especially, as about the only online game my crappy work laptop actually can handle really well - what hotel rooms are made for... UO!
Bird: 653082549
Thoorin

Post by Thoorin »

Started here about two weeks after my brother started to play along with his friends [ Vega Manor, Eriania Gruber, Hannah Benton and a few others]
Making an archer those days was at the same time the worst possible solution while being the first good one. Training was horrible 'cause of the dmg even a normal heavy crossbow did.
But after 70 and the old mob AI, hunting anything was possible.

Mainly played with / got help from Colossus,Miaymoto & his brother Gwennec, Vega & Eriania, Huselius and Elu. Prolly a bunch of other peeps too, but those were the ones I trained with on a daily base.

Gotta say when Zyn & the Co. arrived, they were like the new Moonlarvae. They were first in many of the things that've been done here.

For new players?
Being polite never hurts.
Patience is the key.
Having fun is the reason we're here, even when sometimes you feel like punching yourself in the groin
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

huh started alone actually, having heard about shard from a friend of a friend actually (even though he never did play).

And Boris the whiner, dont you complain about the fields... I trained 80+ inscription and 100 item id without uo loop or easyuo!
You can only guess my face when I found out about those! :|
Athan01

Post by Athan01 »

Darian Darkmind wrote: dazzling spear of vanquishing. Back then gear like that was insanely good and expensive. My first reaction was of course that I'm rich, but I decided it might benefit me more on the long run to be in good terms with the Cabals. I returned all the gear and they were pretty surprised for it. After that I gained quite many friends and immunity to robbers. Which both benefit me quite a lot.
I had a similar experience except they didn't stop killing me after I returned his tidy spear :evil: SoD & CotN were a pain in my ass. It was a blinding spear of power

I started on JE in about 2000-2001 when I saw one of my brothers play it. That shard got destroyed due to a timewarp and pangaea was born shortly after where we both started off as newbies about 6 months after the shard began.
After one itemwipe x amount (5-6?) of years ago kuro saved my ass by giving me some half decent gear to hunt with
Hilda

Post by Hilda »

Athan01 wrote:After one itemwipe x amount (5-6?) of years ago kuro saved my ass by giving me some half decent gear to hunt with
I'm becoming way too soft with people =(
Cirius Do'Brim

Post by Cirius Do'Brim »

I started here as well with friends, but I think it took at least 3-4 months until I actually started to play. I still remember owning a quality studded cap from nightmare hide and it was the shizzle. It was my precious, the best and most important item in the game... until one day scumbag Tekstone plagued Britain and I lost it. Back then plague was more chaotic than nowadays, not because it may of been stronger or because guards spread it - but because bearers looted your corpse. If bearers looted your corpse, you knew that you would never see that gear again.
Percy

Post by Percy »

That needs to go back on the to-do list. Or somehow make plague harder/more annoying.
Send any messages to this location;
635'288'825
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

We should have random times when plague breaks out, just a random plague spawner for each town, plague that hits every X months or something. That'd be peachy in my book, it would be annoying but I like the idea of having epidemics of plague and flesh rot!
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Dante

Post by Dante »

Cyrus Tegyr wrote:We should have random times when plague breaks out, just a random plague spawner for each town, plague that hits every X months or something. That'd be peachy in my book, it would be annoying but I like the idea of having epidemics of plague and flesh rot!
love it.
We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.

Winston Churchill

Ert wrote:After a long tiring quest, Dante retires to his land of rainbows and marshmallows.
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Dante wrote:
Cyrus Tegyr wrote:We should have random times when plague breaks out, just a random plague spawner for each town, plague that hits every X months or something. That'd be peachy in my book, it would be annoying but I like the idea of having epidemics of plague and flesh rot!
love it.
Thanks! It was something I believe Journey's End had scripted at some point or another because you'd log in and have plague bearers running riot, it was an annoyance for sure but, it helped keep the game a little more edgy and helped activity up. Plague was very obnoxious on JE because like the old days of Pang the bearers would loot you and trying to pick through a corpse of a plague bearer when the corpses also spread plague was tediously annoying and dangerous. I remember being slaughtered by the guards cause the plague broke out and a bunch of people died and I thought, in my noobish ways as I had just started playing Ultima Online at the time, that it was like Christmas with all this free loot (you could loot others corpses freely with or without permission and you'd be turned grey) so I ran around looting all these sweet items and than a guard saw me and just one shot me.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman