Make things break faster?

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

Make things break faster?

yes
32%
no
57%
no opinion
11%

Total votes: 44

Glarundis

Re: Make things break faster?

Post by Glarundis »

you can go for it, i restarted pangaea in april 2011 :D
Tyrion

Post by Tyrion »

Boris wrote:I'd keep things as they are.

Instead of stuff breaking faster - they could rust out / decay / go bad. It could apply to everything from weapons to food to potions and so on. The expire date of an item could be 2-3 years. Even that would make a big difference.

- Boris
So, it's a matter of decay over long period of time versus wiping very old items? Not sure I understand the arguments that are being made. Items should break, that makes sense RP wise even if it is an annoyance. Depending on the actual material used to craft the item, wood vs metal - the life of an item should scale accordingly. If a miner uses a pick axe repeatedly it breaks, that makes sense, you're pounding away on a rock. If you are constantly hunting using a certain weapon, it should break over time.

For weapons and armors, a potential solution would be to remove one of the durability titles so that the item will break after being used passed acceptable (for example).
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

Tyrion wrote:So, it's a matter of decay over long period of time versus wiping very old items?
Neither. It's what Ares is suggesting.

Although it's good to remember, we've had 2(-3?) item wipes already. It's just a matter of time when shit hits the fan again. The road we're currently on always ends the same way.

- Boris
Leather armor is best for sneaking, because it's literally made from hide.
Ares

Post by Ares »

Item wipe isn't a solution. And of course a discussion goes nowhere if ideas aren't explored or we just compare it to the past and dismiss it.

I think that making things break faster but slightly boosting the loot might work. It would create more circulation of gold and resources while not increasing the pool, and at the same time make hunting feel more rewarding. You've all complained about the loot of the better mobs. There's no great loss for fighters, but a gain for merchants while loot feels more rewarding.

Something like that.
Tyrion

Post by Tyrion »

Ares wrote:I think that making things break faster but slightly boosting the loot might work. It would create more circulation of gold and resources while not increasing the pool, and at the same time make hunting feel more rewarding. You've all complained about the loot of the better mobs. There's no great loss for fighters, but a gain for merchants while loot feels more rewarding.

Something like that.
I don't have a problem with this.
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

I could go for it I guess, I guess we are talking about a similar durability system that we have now with just items taking a little more damage? I didn't quite understand but that's what I've gathered from the posts after my question on the first page.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Quintoz

Post by Quintoz »

Like buying a new weapon before every hunt isen't bad enough, guess we'll have to start bringing 2 weapons to kill the same type of mob now.

Stop the cuckening on Pang #MakePangGreat
aldath c'om

Post by aldath c'om »

Only if they kept perfect condition longer and after that breaking faster. As already broken breaks easier
291-697-526
Quintoz

Post by Quintoz »

Yeah make it so that they do full damage / full AR untill they break and it's fine.

Stop the cuckening on Pang #MakePangGreat
Demian

Post by Demian »

Just take away 1 "level" from the condition. Like Brand new -> Relatively new -> ? -> disappear. The item could be repaired only once or twice and then it disappears if attempted to repair again or just breaks after using it too long like they do now. That way there won't be a problem with having to bring 2 weapons of the same kind to a hunt and they wouldn't have to be repaired that often.