Make things break faster?

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

Make things break faster?

yes
32%
no
57%
no opinion
11%

Total votes: 44

Glarundis

Re: Make things break faster?

Post by Glarundis »

Quintoz wrote:Yeah make it so that they do full damage / full AR untill they break and it's fine.
please this

this is why it's so annoying to have your weapons not be in perfect condition and even a little bit damaged is already "shit" in our eyes
if it's like this it can even break faster as it is being suggested

also, what about, for the first 2 repairs (brand new->etc) the item will never break after you using it until it gets worn or whatever it should be, but when it reaches that level, instead of breaking, the item simply can't be used until it is repaired first

like this, for atleast the first 2 repairs ppl will feel happy that they're dealing full damage and that the weapon won't break (it will instead become unusable). merchants will get to repair that stuff
and after a while items will still break (all this system with the new "faster" breaking thing)
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

I myself wouldnt care if repairing items would be removed completely... imo its mostly waste of material and time to repair things even. Just my two cents.
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

and you'd still have items go from perfect to good in the same ammount of hits?
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Glarundis wrote:and you'd still have items go from perfect to good in the same ammount of hits?
Yes indeed, i see no trouble in that i barely ever repair my own gear... if you think about spears and suchs easily broken weapons you just buy new one after they break too much, while halberds and suchs last realy long amount of time. Also if i have calculated correctly repaired weapon has only ~50% of the durability of brand new, i might not be exactly correct at this though.
Darian Darkmind

Post by Darian Darkmind »

For this to work, we'd first need some inside information on how the system currently works. For example are repaired items equally strong damage/AR-wise as brand new items?

To be honest, I'd change the system to similar to runUO shards where all your items have two durability numbers, for example 40/10. The first number, 40, is durability that slowly decreases as the item is used (Or maybe even when you die). The item's quality won't decrease meaning it will still do the same damage/give same protection even if the durability decreases. The second number, 10, is how many times the item can be repaired. Each repair drops that number by 1. Also, if your item's durability goes to 0/10, you can still use the item, but if you don't repair it the next time you use it, instead of dropping durability, it will now drain the repair times thus breaking the item a lot faster. A skilled blacksmith/tailor should be able to check both numbers with arms lore to determine when/if the item needs to be repaired.

Indestructable items have 100% more durability and repair times.

If the system works like that, then it's alright if the items break down faster. After all, even if they break faster, they will remain equally good till they break.
aldath c'om

Post by aldath c'om »

Darian Darkmind wrote:For this to work, we'd first need some inside information on how the system currently works. For example are repaired items equally strong damage/AR-wise as brand new items?

To be honest, I'd change the system to similar to runUO shards where all your items have two durability numbers, for example 40/10. The first number, 40, is durability that slowly decreases as the item is used (Or maybe even when you die). The item's quality won't decrease meaning it will still do the same damage/give same protection even if the durability decreases. The second number, 10, is how many times the item can be repaired. Each repair drops that number by 1. Also, if your item's durability goes to 0/10, you can still use the item, but if you don't repair it the next time you use it, instead of dropping durability, it will now drain the repair times thus breaking the item a lot faster. A skilled blacksmith/tailor should be able to check both numbers with arms lore to determine when/if the item needs to be repaired.

Indestructable items have 100% more durability and repair times.

If the system works like that, then it's alright if the items break down faster. After all, even if they break faster, they will remain equally good till they break.
just to correct. items allways start with same numbers. ie. 80/80 and when you repair you lose 10 points from number in right and it will show you 70/70. tho in aos world u can add durablitity up to 255/255 via items available to blacksmiths via bod system. also items made out of different material have its own base durability.
id really like such system as it would make some sense to bows where they lose like 20-40% of dmg after like 30shots.
Last edited by aldath c'om on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
291-697-526
Ares

Post by Ares »

I think we're approaching something good here.
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

sounds like a good thing, what aldath said.
not sure about the 255/255 part, perhaps about that we should leave the upgrades to smithy hammers. but this concept of the two numbers sounds like a good thing
Toby Frost

Post by Toby Frost »

Glarundis wrote:sounds like a good thing, what aldath said.
not sure about the 255/255 part, perhaps about that we should leave the upgrades to smithy hammers. but this concept of the two numbers sounds like a good thing

The 255/255 is essentially what Indy hammers do already you just don't see it because its an RP shard and the specs aren't listed on the items. Therefore, upgrades to hammers that already give max dura would be fairly useless.

Though, Maybe we can change the system a bit.

Items would break faster over time but lose less damage s the hit the lower levels. Right now the difference, as stated, between perfect and good condition is quite substantial and as it goes down the chain you lose a massive amount of DPS. I think we should lessen those gaps if we are going to make items break faster. Also, when an item is repaired its then breaks SOOO much faster.. If this is implemented then that needs to go away.
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

Toby Frost wrote:
Glarundis wrote:sounds like a good thing, what aldath said.

The 255/255 is essentially what Indy hammers do already you just don't see it because its an RP shard and the specs aren't listed on the items. Therefore, upgrades to hammers that already give max dura would be fairly useless.

Though, Maybe we can change the system a bit.

Items would break faster over time but lose less damage s the hit the lower levels. Right now the difference, as stated, between perfect and good condition is quite substantial and as it goes down the chain you lose a massive amount of DPS. I think we should lessen those gaps if we are going to make items break faster. Also, when an item is repaired its then breaks SOOO much faster.. If this is implemented then that needs to go away.
doesn't an indy makes items 10x more durable in their condition?or is it in how many times it can be repaired without losing a level?in which case, that doesn't seem to me as 255 "conditions" or "times that it can be repaired". but i'll take your word for it

and i totally agree with you on the last part. perfect from good condition can't be that much different and items can't break that much faster after being repaired once