Make things break faster?

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

Make things break faster?

yes
32%
no
57%
no opinion
11%

Total votes: 44

Meghana Arroway

Re: Make things break faster?

Post by Meghana Arroway »

My armor breaks fast enough as it is! I voted no.
Meghana Arroway - Aspiring Bard and Songwriter
Lyon Cera - A Buccaneer's Den former Thug, with emphasis on "former"
Alastor Wormsent - A priest without a job, does that make him a hobo?
Zaradon

Post by Zaradon »

Kongoan wrote:My armor breaks fast enough as it is! I voted no.
The items do not break (disappear) but they get "worse" which means they get damaged and dont work in their full potential.

But we are here talking about breaking as in making crafted items disappear.

Altough, from my personal view, if we get such a feature then the crafted items should always be in full potential and never get decreased in the "durability" they just break of getting overused and that's how i personally see it.

Otherwise its just take + take, not take + give.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Zaradon wrote:
Kongoan wrote:My armor breaks fast enough as it is! I voted no.
The items do not break (disappear) but they get "worse" which means they get damaged and dont work in their full potential.

But we are here talking about breaking as in making crafted items disappear.

Altough, from my personal view, if we get such a feature then the crafted items should always be in full potential and never get decreased in the "durability" they just break of getting overused and that's how i personally see it.

Otherwise its just take + take, not take + give.
I agree that the items would get a lot easier destroyed if they would have their 100% damage / protection all of the time, now we just follow ar or damage and notice that armours / weapon is comepletely useless then we just put it in the box and get new one... some people like fixing their shit a lot though. But still if you want to lessen amount of stuff laying around make it so that they are used till the end, no one wants to hunt with maul which deals 0-10 most of the hits. And as an addition to that i'd remove repairing possibility but increase drop rates a bit ;)
Darian Darkmind

Post by Darian Darkmind »

aldath c'om wrote:
Darian Darkmind wrote:For this to work, we'd first need some inside information on how the system currently works. For example are repaired items equally strong damage/AR-wise as brand new items?

To be honest, I'd change the system to similar to runUO shards where all your items have two durability numbers, for example 40/10. The first number, 40, is durability that slowly decreases as the item is used (Or maybe even when you die). The item's quality won't decrease meaning it will still do the same damage/give same protection even if the durability decreases. The second number, 10, is how many times the item can be repaired. Each repair drops that number by 1. Also, if your item's durability goes to 0/10, you can still use the item, but if you don't repair it the next time you use it, instead of dropping durability, it will now drain the repair times thus breaking the item a lot faster. A skilled blacksmith/tailor should be able to check both numbers with arms lore to determine when/if the item needs to be repaired.

Indestructable items have 100% more durability and repair times.

If the system works like that, then it's alright if the items break down faster. After all, even if they break faster, they will remain equally good till they break.
just to correct. items allways start with same numbers. ie. 80/80 and when you repair you lose 10 points from number in right and it will show you 70/70. tho in aos world u can add durablitity up to 255/255 via items available to blacksmiths via bod system. also items made out of different material have its own base durability.
id really like such system as it would make some sense to bows where they lose like 20-40% of dmg after like 30shots.
I'm aware of that, but I changed the system a bit on purpose to make it simpler. It doesn't really matter what the number is, 10 or 100 if in first system it drains 1 per repair and the other 10 per repair, the outcome is the same: Total of 10 repairs will break the item - unless made with magic tools

Anyway, the point was that it is important both used and repaired items are equally good to brand new items, only they are one step closer to breaking down. Only then we can make items break down faster, because people would actually use the item before it breaks instead of smelting and crafting a new one after it's in "good condition". I'm not sure if repaired items already are equally good to new ones in Pangaea, but it appears they aren't. Might be it's just in our heads.