Barbarian speciality

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

What should be the barbarian speciality?

Increased chance of crit-hitting at low HP
37%
Chance for blowback effect at low HP
No votes
Blowback effect added to crit-hits
6%
1d3s paralyze added to crit-hits
40%
Grant full chains (no speciality)
17%

Total votes: 35

Mike

Re: Barbarian speciality

Post by Mike »

The best improvement is probably the paralyze on hit, although I think it will be overpowered PvP-wise.

As for armor Conan uses a chain mail hauberk in Beyond the Black River and full plate in The Hour of the Dragon :P
"last i knew it was illegal to hate someone" Richard Mota
Masano

Post by Masano »

Id go for 1d3s paralyze added to crit-hits. To me its the most interesting change, if it proves OP in PvP then it could be changed.
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

I voted for, though I don't have a barbarian, the increased crit chance. I feel the 1d3s paralyze might be too over powered, the blow back while neat, I just don't see it being that useful and chains, well I would of given barbarians chainmail to begin with but alas, I am but a lowly player on Pangaea and not someone in power. :D
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Cruxis Bane

Post by Cruxis Bane »

Considering how much I hated the monks having paralyze and it was extremely painful to deal with I would say that is the best option to go with. Blow back isn't that great only reason its good on giants is cause they paralyze with it. Increased critical as said only really helps in pvp. Chains may add a bit of help to the class however barbarians imo arnt meant to be wearing full suits of something they more wear what they get their hands on.
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

:x I got nothing against chains. I simply don't see the gain.

The difference between baba sets and chain mails is minimal. Chain tunic might give more AR, but they might be more deadly as well. The real problem comes with coverage. Chains cover 2 parts of your body (chest and arms) and when you're hit, you're being hit to both of these parts. So basically, if you wear only a ring mail tunic and get hit to the chest (the chance is around 50%) - the damage is calculated only once to the chest. When you wear chain tunic, the damage is calculated to both chest and arms. If the incoming damage is small, most likely chains beat ring mail - but if it's a big hit - ring mail beats chain. So what comes to survivability, chain isn't the answer.

What comes to Monks and paralyze, there's a big difference between fists and 2-tile weapons. A barbarian with a sword and a shield may be dangerous with 1d3s paralyze, but halberds and mauls are slow and they don't really hit super often either. Surely if or when this happens, it's something to look out for.

- Boris
Leather armor is best for sneaking, because it's literally made from hide.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Boris wrote:What comes to Monks and paralyze, there's a big difference between fists and 2-tile weapons. A barbarian with a sword and a shield may be dangerous with 1d3s paralyze, but halberds and mauls are slow and they don't really hit super often either. Surely if or when this happens, it's something to look out for.

- Boris
What comes to shields i've never had problem countering them with 2 tiled weapon in open area fight, so sadly that is their restriction they just dont realy work unless its closed area. Also since its critical chance that also restricts it so i have high doubt it will become a huge problem... unless someone finds a way to make spears work in baba's hand.
Tyrion

Post by Tyrion »

Boris wrote:Everyone can pull out suggestions and ideas to this thread. I'll start with a wild card.
  • Healing from 85% to 100%
    Resisting spells from 85% to 65%
I think this is a fair trade and it fits their character better. People always talk about survivability and this is it with a big S. High STR combined with weak armor (at least on paper) and magical resistance. PvM may be a bit more challenging, but there's nothing a change of tactics can't recover from. Gameplay will be more about hit-and-run than tanking. That part should be left for Knights and Warriors. Also I think this makes the class much more interesting and brings more variety to the whole class system.

- Boris
Barbarians have great survivability due to the high str. cap and do a decent amount of damage in PvM. In PvP they are situational like most classes.What is the purpose of the discussion regarding barbarians too begin with and why are they 'needing' a change? I'm not really understanding the focus I guess.
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

Skill change is no option.

Potentially we're talking of what's in the poll.

- Boris
Tyrion

Post by Tyrion »

Boris wrote:Increased chance of crit-hitting at low HP
Chance for blowback effect at low HP
Blowback effect added to crit-hits
1d3s paralyze added to crit-hits
Grant full chains (no speciality)
So these options are just too provide some variety to the class?
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

Full chains is more of a joke - but I'll take it forward if needed. There's nothing special about it.

The idea's to add something special to each non-religious class (i.e. assassins and poison resistance, warriors and regeneration, etc.).

- Boris