Barbarian speciality

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

What should be the barbarian speciality?

Increased chance of crit-hitting at low HP
37%
Chance for blowback effect at low HP
No votes
Blowback effect added to crit-hits
6%
1d3s paralyze added to crit-hits
40%
Grant full chains (no speciality)
17%

Total votes: 35

Tyrion

Re: Barbarian speciality

Post by Tyrion »

Zaradon wrote: Do you want examples?
Rangers -> Full plates, bless-able compo bow, rite fixes.
Knights -> rite fixes, decreased religion dmg.
Monk -> Knuckled gloves (elemental) / 100 med, studded armor boost.
Warrior -> HP regen. (Probably something more, but can't recall what they all were).
Barbarian -> Nothing except the global boosts - i.e Statcap/weapon dmg fixes.

And whatever capital w is saying is only concerning PvP/PvP gears + clothes + religion boosts.

Now, i'm whining because i'm not in a religion and i'm not getting buffs 24/7.
Im talking of the abilities of non-religious players.
Boris wrote:
Tyrion wrote:If barbarians receive paralyzing effect (for example) will that effect still be active while in a religion?
Yes.

- Boris
Intended this way or?. . .
Zaradon wrote:And non-religious players shouldn't (theoretically) benefit from them as much as they do, this is what makes it a bit of too much imbalanced. The issue is still there and they wont fix it, no idea why.
Class specific abilities bonus (listed in the polling choices) makes more sense than the improvements you've listed above for those classes because those boosts aren't boosts at all, they're core improvements to the classes (Ranger, Knight, Warrior and Monk) that actually make them playable for PvE.

Barbarians don't need core changes as they are well rounded for PvE. If there was a neck slot for bone armor or a new armor type that could be introduced, I would support that because of the RP c-sense (common sense) and the new market for tailors.

Class specific abilities being used while in religions, I'm not sure how I feel about that tbh. Just makes the character that much more deadly while in a religion. And, if the point is to get the characters outside of a religion on a level playing field with piety characters, having the ability retroactive, kind of defeats the thinking.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

In my eyes those changes affect as much pvm as pvp, so shut it about other classes already.

As boris stated, this is supposed to give the class its own speciality. There has been discussion about their effects and usefulness, since its not worth giving them a boost "you'll one hit anyone when you are below 10hp" its basicaly same as giving nothing.

Thus i still say that paralyze effect for crit is best, depending on the strenght in future it gets nerfed or boosted accordingly.

Also it fits the image,baba takes loads of damage and deals some also.
Iktomi

Post by Iktomi »

Just want to point out that giving full chains is a stupid idea (as it does nothing to help develop the identity of the barbarian).
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

There's a reason why we haven't boosted babas directly. They've been on the same boat with priests. Fine as they are. "Nice addons" can be done. The idea isn't to boost, just to add something special.

So even if there was "only" a higher chance in critting, it's still better than nothing. The point isn't to aim higher anyhow.

Religions can be left out of this discussion.

- Boris
Leather armor is best for sneaking, because it's literally made from hide.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

If baba's would actualy be in the same boat as priests i'd consider baba being A BIT more popular. Priest has always over ruled this shard, along with religious characters. But lets not speak of that and lets not put religious and non-religious characters in the same boat ok? Thats what you keep saying anyhow.

Oh and another thing, there wouldnt be so many baba -> warrior switches if baba was actualy as good as priest.
Zaradon

Post by Zaradon »

Oh boy, this has no point.

Either way, i just vote for the para-crit.

You're welcome.
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

Tyrion wrote:Intended this way or?. . .
Of course.
Ivan wrote:Oh and another thing, there wouldnt be so many baba -> warrior switches if baba was actualy as good as priest.
It's not about being as good. They've been simply in the "no need to change anything" category with Priests and Archers.

So we're (still) not here to boost... simply to add more character.

- Boris
Leather armor is best for sneaking, because it's literally made from hide.
Tyrion

Post by Tyrion »

Boris wrote:
Tyrion wrote:Intended this way or?. . .
Of course.
Ivan wrote:Oh and another thing, there wouldnt be so many baba -> warrior switches if baba was actualy as good as priest.
It's not about being as good. They've been simply in the "no need to change anything" category with Priests and Archers.

So we're (still) not here to boost... simply to add more character.

- Boris
What is the point of just adding more to the class though? I'm fine with creating class abilities (for all classes if this is the future) but the direction of your post infers that this is just a random topic of curiosity that you were interested in pursuing, which is fine, I guess, but if the class is fine then why are we talking about it ad-naseum. I'm still not understanding your logic behind this discussion. If we wanted to talk about what we could add too a class that doesn't really need anything then why bother with it in the first place?

My point is that your message is convoluted. Frame this discussion as a class ability improvement instead of "add more too character" discussion, because people are confused (based on this thread and the 19 pages of barbarian talks thread). Random updates, while great, make people think they are getting a nerf (even if they aren't).

In the grand scheme of things, this all seems like small potatoes when there are bigger fish to fry.
Cruxis Bane

Post by Cruxis Bane »

This is an interesting thing to do for Barbs believe that adding the paralyze would make the class a bit better. With the chance to para they can run away to try to regain their health or turn around for a kill shot, it will add an interesting dynamic to the class.
Vaux27

Post by Vaux27 »

I like both the increased chance of crit-hitting with low HP and the para. I voted for the para but either one would be a nice specialty for the Baba.
632-140-419