Heightened skill transfer between classes

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

Should heightened skills transfer from one class to another?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes: 68

Percy

Re: Heightened skill transfer between classes

Post by Percy »

You should keep your heighten skills even if they're not to do with the class imo.

If you hit 105 archery for example, then move to priest, then move to archer you're 105 should still be there.
Send any messages to this location;
635'288'825
Zaradon

Post by Zaradon »

Darian Darkmind wrote:I'm not really sure if Zaradon is against the idea or not?

It does make sense at some point and it doesn't from another point.

Lets say, why would you forget how to hit with a staff? - Does make sense. (A yes!)

Lets take the same example with full plates, more STR and so on. That's a whole different level of using a staff.
Because you're using heavy armors and different stats and this would mean to re-learn your fighting arts, since it works from a different angle - Does not make sense. (A no!)

In all honest, i did vote yes.

It's Pang brah.

(Once again, i make myself clear on the second page, hopefully.)
Darian Darkmind

Post by Darian Darkmind »

Sadly no, you didn't make yourself very clear even now. So you meant it doesn't make sense to LOSE an ability to use plates or the knowledge of a skill in the first place? Well yeah, you're right, a strong character shouldn't suddenly lose his muscle and the knowledge of how he is using plates or shield just because he decides to join the priest class. However, sadly we can't ask for everything, otherwise we'd have characters with 100% at all skills.

That's why, as a compromise I suggested in the other thread that scribes could "save" the knowledge of a skill to a journal so even if your character loses the skill upon joining a new class, he can later on read the journal and learn it again - that is should he join a class that supports the skill.
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

Percy wrote:You should keep your heighten skills even if they're not to do with the class imo.

If you hit 105 archery for example, then move to priest, then move to archer you're 105 should still be there.
but what does happen is that when you change classes and go back to the one you were before, you have to train the skills back, unless you had those skills in both classes.

you're archer with 100 archery, you go to priest, if you go back to archer your archery is 0. it's not even 100 (when you're asking for 105) it's 0
Demian

Post by Demian »

I voted no since imo it's simply just a bad idea. Some players now just wish to have an easy way to change class since they cba training the heighten skills back/whatever and imo is too big of a change to the system that has been in use for a really long time. If this was implemented sooner, players would have done different choices in the past and possibly wouldn't have made a new character or lost all their heighten skills when changing a class before this. It's just too easy this way and I'd rather not see pang turn into one of these places.
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

I voted yes, in this day and age, well in my ripe old age I don't have the time nor the willpower to retrain skills in heighten class.

Though ultimately, as a side note, if there was just 1 thing I would get rid of, it would be the stupid notion and system of heightened classes, worst idea ever.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Darian Darkmind

Post by Darian Darkmind »

Demian wrote:If this was implemented sooner, players would have done different choices in the past and possibly wouldn't have made a new character or lost all their heighten skills when changing a class before this.
Quoting Boris from the Global Piety timer topic:
Boris wrote:"Because I already suffered my 351 days" isn't really an argument either.
So your argument of some people having done it in the past isn't really a valid argument.

So if that's your only reason not to do it...

And I don't even know what to say to your claim that "some players just wish to have an easy way" after they've already proofed you wrong by training to Ancient in the first time. If they wanted it easy, they hadn't done it.

Also quoting you again:
possibly wouldn't have made a new character or lost all their heighten skills when changing a class before this.
You just showed yourself the main problem of the current system. Instead of changing class, you're better of making a completely new character. One question though, should we completely forget about RP? What RP? What if your priest wants to change to a knight RP-wise, but you as a player are "forced" to make a new character instead, because losing the ancient skills compared to training a new knight is pure insanity - RP or not.
Demian

Post by Demian »

The reason for me not wanting this system is that I think the difficulty pangaea has on training your character should stay. If you want an ancient knight instead of an ancient priest, then you do the training. It doesn't matter what opinion Boris has on it, that's just how I see it and why I don't want this system.
Darian Darkmind wrote: You just showed yourself the main problem of the current system. Instead of changing class, you're better of making a completely new character. One question though, should we completely forget about RP? What RP? What if your priest wants to change to a knight RP-wise, but you as a player are "forced" to make a new character instead, because losing the ancient skills compared to training a new knight is pure insanity - RP or not.
If we start talking about the RP, I can think of plenty of reasons why you would lose your skills when changing class, and those are alot easier to "implement" than a whole new system for this, just for the convenience of a few lazy players.
Darion al'Ferran

Post by Darion al'Ferran »

Demian wrote:If we start talking about the RP, I can think of plenty of reasons why you would lose your skills when changing class, and those are alot easier to "implement" than a whole new system for this, just for the convenience of a few lazy players.
That bolded part of the text hit the nail.
Vaux27

Post by Vaux27 »

Demian wrote:The reason for me not wanting this system is that I think the difficulty pangaea has on training your character should stay..
False, your reasoning is because you hate Knights in Pvp, and with good reason. We'll say that's my opinion though, just so you understand I'm not flaming you, old friend. ;)

Restrictions like this is what keeps Pangaea "behind the times", I say that with respect to the staff because they've made leaps and bounds in this aspect over the past year(s). This change is something that simply doesn't hurt our old-style demeanor in the end. It's top priority is to allow people to advance their RP, advance their game play and ultimately get them back out there hunting and fighting instead of macroing. That's the main problem, we shouldn't be retraining heighten skills we've earned through blood, sweat and tears. Mostly tears. To argue people are "lazy" is quite dumb, there is absolutely nothing wrong with players wishing to try out the new class updates, and in return enjoy the Pangaea experience from a wider spectrum. But we should penalize our hardcore DEDICATED Pangaea player base, by not taking all their heighten hours they've trained?

That's not an excuse to restrict everyone who has worked hard for their gains at all actually, you guys are going to need a better "No" than that.
Last edited by Vaux27 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
632-140-419