Heightened skill transfer between classes

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

Should heightened skills transfer from one class to another?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes: 68

Darian Darkmind

Re: Heightened skill transfer between classes

Post by Darian Darkmind »

Demian wrote:The reason for me not wanting this system is that I think the difficulty pangaea has on training your character should stay. If you want an ancient knight instead of an ancient priest
I fully understand that, but you should understand that the training still remains EQUALLY HARD, you still have to gain the skills in the first place. Like I said, this is compareable to if you leave your class and join any class at all, all your skills would be dropped to 65 and NEVER given back upon re-joining a class. Why should you get the skills back if you're not heightened, but not if you're heightened? The only difference is that one spent 100-200 hours to train his character whereas the other spent additional 700-900 hours on top of that to train it. Dude, seriously? While at it, why not remove class change possibility all together? In fact, let's remove religion hopping as well and make it so that the only way out, if you ever want to even TRY another religion, you have to delete your previous character. Hell, why not top that and only allow ONE character per account which isn't even allowed to change class or religion (should you be in one)! Are you starting to get where this current system is failing? This is an obvious flaw that wasn't considered when heighten system was implemented and, because no one was at the point where they wanted to change class, it wasn't a problem back then. It is a problem now. Religion hopping, the piety penalty was fixed so why is this different?

Also I get this idea that you seem to think the ancient character comes for free? There's a huge difference in wanting to have just an ancient character, than wanting your current already trained up to ancient character, the character you love, the character you've already spent at least a thousand fucking hours macroing to evolve and change to a new class. If you've already spent all that time training the character you love to ancient, you've already done the "hard part", the hard work and you are simply an arrogant fool if you call that player lazy for not wanting to re-do it just because he wants to try something different with THAT character - and not a new one.

Currently making a new character is the smarter way to do it, because the time it takes to heighten it, is nothing compared to getting it ancient. However, we aren't speaking about just wanting an ancient character, we are speaking about wanting THE specific ancient character. Of I understand and know that not all players think of it like that and some people might just want an ancient knight (Because they good now) regardless of the past RP of their current character.

I have two characters with two different backgrounds and two different RP stories. I wanted both, I have both, not just one. I wasn't "lazy". But should I want either of those two characters to change, I'd be dammed if I'm better off making a new character instead. Also, I nor many else have that kind of time anymore, but that doesn't make me lazy. These characters were trained at age 16 to 20 when I sat at home picking my balls with nothing better to do... in fact, now that I think of it that's actually when I was lazy - irony, huh?
Vaux27

Post by Vaux27 »

Well said DD, hit every point on why players shouldn't be limited.

If you take time to read the wall, it always makes sense. ;)
632-140-419
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

i guess this game is for lazy people. not because they don't train, but because they do train :P

tbh i have nothing against changing heighten skills within same class. i'm trying to think of something that would make me not want heighten skills transfering between classes, just for the sake of not wanting it, but i can't think of anything really. yes, a lot of classes will change, i'm sure, atleast from the active players. but in the end, i don't care a single bit, i just want people to play and want to play and log in and do something instead of nothing/just macro.
i understand that ppl work etc, but most of the days i turn computer on, try to see if there's something going on, usually there isn't, so i cba to do anything alone, i don't play pangaea to play alone, it sucks that way. i feel that atm people play on weekends and macro/don't play on week days. like i said, i really can't blame anyone, but i just wish we would have more players actually wanting to play.

maybe we need to develop yet again pvm/pvp/siege systems to make sure ppl keep playing?
(not accusing the staff of anything, they've done shitloads of work in the past months)
Masano

Post by Masano »

Gotta agree with Darian here. If your ancient then you've done the 'hard work' already. Forcing someone to retrain those same skills again with the same gain delays just seems completely over the top for benefits which we are consistently being told dont make that much of a difference anyway.

Its unfair to keep the same system just because its always been like this and past players would have liked this option- sorry but tough titties, its time to move on and see some sanity in the highten class system.
Zaradon

Post by Zaradon »

Bump, so what's the final decision?
Any more thoughts on this?

And yeap, gotta agree with Masano. It's your own words of the heighten gains being "not so effective anyway" so why not do something to make the trained characters be still interested to try something new?
Maximilian Lhoth

Post by Maximilian Lhoth »

What is this about? Character class dysphoria? People finally want to switch their ancient main characters to some other class which wasn't so popular before (which is good; it means the classes are now more balanced), but currently feel trapped to their class?

I voted "no" first because I thought heighten gains should be considered something rare, "a privilege, not a right". Then I thought of the class balancing and decided to vote "yes". It'd be nice to see class balancing leading to people actually changing their class.
Glarundis wrote:i guess this game is for lazy people. not because they don't train, but because they do train
Would be hilarious to have an extended heighten system which allows gaining a skill after 105, but it'd take 1000 times the effort compared to 100-105 per gain. I'm still sure people would try...
Vaux27

Post by Vaux27 »

I believe changing/switching of skills in heighten was discussed/voted on by the GMs, what about this one?
632-140-419
Zaradon

Post by Zaradon »

39 votes for yes
19 votes for no
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

Ideas section is open for ideas. Make it a business and a money sink, and perhaps there's a chance.

- Boris
Leather armor is best for sneaking, because it's literally made from hide.
Athan01

Post by Athan01 »

I think your all sick in the head :!:
I have one almost ancient character and it is a hell of a lot of training, my second heighten has 1.7 of one skill trained. If I was to lose any skill I had trained to 105 I think i would just give up on the character.

Yes for skill transfer from one class to another but if you bounce back to the original class you shouldn't get that classes specific skill back to 105, to back up darians point about characters backround/rp and mainly to stop people jumping classes more often than I get laid.

Ranger -> knight -> ranger.
Should carry across anatomy and tactics for talk sake, knight retrains swords or whatever - when he jumps back to ranger the archery should not go to 105. What would be to stop someone (probably zaradon) training all the essential skills of every class to max and being the ace of all classes with a 5 day timer in between jumps?