What do you want?

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

Which area do you want us to focus on?

New Dungeons
18%
Revision of world spawns
11%
Revision of loot
39%
PVP Events (Quests)
5%
PVM Events (Quests)
7%
Merchant Events (Quests, markets)
20%

Total votes: 56

Theodore

Re: What do you want?

Post by Theodore »

i think new dungeons would be really good! but also revision on loot at the same time?
My bird location is 239081580 footsteps from britain bank!
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

Dante wrote:Quick question, can you name some items that are quest related and still in the world? I can't imagine there being many. I'm taking all these suggestions/opinions into consideration.
question is, how do we know if those are quest related? :P
tehsquish

Post by tehsquish »

All these things sound great to be honest - and I know staff has limited time -

I'd say revised loot - then mixing up dungeons/world spawns.

Perhaps fix up some unused or rarely used areas like Salos or Britain Sewers. (edit: and the catacombs under yew graveyard!)

Keep up the good work anyway - I love that a like 10+ year old shard is still getting updates no matter what they are =P.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Cyrus Tegyr wrote:Definitely less on the PvP.

Personally, unsurprising I am sure for most, I would like to see more merchant stuff implemented, it's my favorite aspect of Ultima and one that has been severely neglected over the last ten years. Sure, new items have been brought out to white wash over the fact that our merchant system is outdated but in actual every merchanting aspect needs a serious rethink.

A merchant quest system much like the one I proposed on the ideas forum would be excellent. As well as the Market Right system I had for the mayor system. This would make player merchants more available. A complete sit down and rethink of item production and availability in loot. As an example, most people do not buy wands for two reasons, they're a pain in the ass to make and they're all able to be found in the loot table and pretty regularly.

On the other side of the merchanting field, the classes themselves need a look at in terms of skills that are offered them, it makes no sense. A tinker gets 85 Lumberjacking and 65 mining, seriously? An alchemist gets 65 tinkering whilst a scribe gets 40 tinkering which does the scribe no good because it takes at a minimum 65 tinkering to make blank scrolls and at a minimum for the alchemist 40 tinkering to make empty bottles and did I forget to mention, the alchemist gets 65 mining, so in he gets the same amount of mining as the tinkering. The scribe also has it the worst as far as heightening, should anyone wish to heighten it is impossible to gm cartography unless you have a Master handbook of cartography or in my case a Christmas Present from the year before.

As for the crafting system itself, an update to the slider gumps is desperately needed, we're running with gumps that launched when Pangaea first came out in 1997, consistency is also another aspect, while some skills give you success and fail messages others do not or while bowcrafting for instance may give you fail and success messages on this item, when crafting other items it does not. Start and stop crafting messages is another one, albeit a minor one.

So, I know everything I said wasn't exactly what you wanted to hear, but this is somewhere I would like a little focus on instead of just implementing or adding new items to a class(es) to white wash they're shortcomings, the merchant system needs a deep scrub in terms of the craftibility of certain items (too hard or too easy?), the skills which are offered to the class (do they make sense and if not they should be changed, this notion of "this is how it is and how it shall always be" is ridiculous), a questing system would be nice for merchants and finally one I have advocated for on many occasions, more consistency in the crafting scripts and better crafting gumps.
This!!
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

I need to clarify something with my post after re-reading it, it was early in the morning as I recall.

Pangaea didn't launch in 1997 I meant to say when Ultima Online lauched in 1997.

If you are wondering what my idea for new crafting gumps would look like travel on over to UO Guide's Carpentry Page and on the left hand side gives you an example of my ideal crafting gump.

I'd remove the notices and keep them as sysmessages as well as keep the use crafting item and target material to bring up the gump, add an option perhaps to the gump or to the .options gump to toggle putting your makers mark on an item or not as for RP reasons sometimes you may not want that as well as perhaps an option to add a guild mark to it when it is crafted to show off your guild's/religion's craftsmanship and finally add a craft bag button to the gump so that it could finally be possible to have all that handled in game as using easyuo to do that which I do for my crafting macro is possible but there are times when that can be hazardous especially if you put something in your back pack during the crafting process, it doesn't know any better and moves it to the craft bag.

Keep the bag persistent through log outs.

I'd give you a visual rep of what I would do but what's there on UO Guide is pretty much what I would do, same gump set up just remove and add a couple minor things. There are elements there that obviously do not need to be there for Pangaea's sake such as enhancing an item or Alter Item.

I like the "Last Ten" button so you can have a quick list of what you made for the last ten items, again persistent through log out.

The cancel button if you want to cancel the current crafting loop.

Add an edit box for making multiple items at once (1-10)

I mean that's pretty much perfect in my mind. Sorry I know this isn't an ideas post but wanted to clarify a mistake I made and wanted to show what I meant by new crafting gumps.
Last edited by Cyrus Tegyr on Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Dante

Post by Dante »

So from the poll the majority want:

1) Loot revision - Will be discussing this today with Iktomi
2) New Dungeons - Currently one new one under construction, Covetous being revamped and more to follow
3) Merchant Events/Quests - I'm stuck on this one, so any suggestions for events/quests send them my way for that

As a side note; with regards to improving the overall gameplay, consistency and class/crafting systems, I am not involved in the technical side of the game so those aspects need to be left to Ares & co. However if you haev any serious issues or glaring problems, BE SPECIFIC and write me a list and I'll forward them onto the correct people.

More quests will come, and I will not neglect the ideas already put forward but I've been extremely busy with the current dungeons so I'll do my best.
We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.

Winston Churchill

Ert wrote:After a long tiring quest, Dante retires to his land of rainbows and marshmallows.
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Dante wrote:As a side note; with regards to improving the overall gameplay, consistency and class/crafting systems, I am not involved in the technical side of the game so those aspects need to be left to Ares & co. However if you have any serious issues or glaring problems, BE SPECIFIC and write me a list and I'll forward them onto the correct people.
Well in regards to merchant skills I can go through and list the issues with the merchant classes I have.

But I will start thinking of merchant quests. As for quests for merchants, they pretty much can not be hack n slashers like the other quests, our class system severely restricts merchants in that department so they'd have to be Collection quests of Raw or crafted material, if new towns are to be implemented for instance this would be good, that way we feel as players that we are contributing to "building" something as opposed to "Hey a new town just cropped up out of no where." Could have a quest where merchant's need to arm the guards for some reason or another of a town(s) because big bad thieves stole all their armor in the night. Honestly I am stumped on merchant quests too but I will give it a think. The only reason I am stumped is because they have to be outside the normal realm of quests in the usual Pangaean sense because merchants are so limited on fighting abilities.

I'll port over my vision for a new crafting system to the Ideas forum here in a few days if I can find time to draw something up, we'll see from there.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Basil Brotheamus

Post by Basil Brotheamus »

I don't see anything wrong with the loot to be honest. I think many players just see an opportunity to hope for even fatter loot and go for it. The books we have now have multiplied the chances to get rich, the boosted and balanced variety of weapons which give lot better chance to find decent magical ones, the magical leather armors, new monsters with new ores, hides, etc… I have really hard time figuring out what they are asking for and I don't prefer Pangaea to become any more easier to get rich on personally. It's good as it is.

As a sidenote, I understand why something should probably removed from the loot pool, like wands or something like that, but do not make it fatter.
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

maybe increase the highend ores/bones/hides by 1 or 2 per monster?
you need to kill shitloads of giants atm to get a giant suit. and then if you take into account you're doing it as a team, will take even more giants to kill..
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Glarundis wrote:maybe increase the highend ores/bones/hides by 1 or 2 per monster?
you need to kill shitloads of giants atm to get a giant suit. and then if you take into account you're doing it as a team, will take even more giants to kill..

Its worth of the price if you think about the effort that goes into gathering auropian which is basicaly equilevant for giant bones. I dont think that atleast needs any changing.