Remove the party system?

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

Remove the party system?

Yes
13%
No
74%
Not sure
13%

Total votes: 47

Dante

Re: Remove the party system?

Post by Dante »

I think I've managed to take some excellent feedback from this poll and it's been useful:

1) Smaller quests, more group specific - i.e. a religion a guild etc.

2) No loot - better quest deeds

3) Few and far between quests that involve hack n slash - these are fun and omg lewtz but I guess they get boring, don't make alot of RP sense when everyone is together hugging and holding hands.

So thanks guys, I know it went off topic but because it was constructive it remained open.
We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.

Winston Churchill

Ert wrote:After a long tiring quest, Dante retires to his land of rainbows and marshmallows.
Jyrgen

Post by Jyrgen »

I'd just like to comment that I've never really liked those quests where Tek and Imp and Law and Nature and whoever else fight together side by side. Most of the time, at least, there's really no real RP background for such teamwork whatsoever.
Prince

Post by Prince »

I'd just like to comment that I've never really liked those quests where Tek and Imp and Law and Nature and whoever else fight together side by side. Most of the time, at least, there's really no real RP background for such teamwork whatsoever.
but for the noobs is like "ZOMG SO MANY RELIGIONS AND ALL SO POWERFULL! I WANNA CHOOSE ONE AND BE LIKE THEM!" In other words.. its showoff for newbies!
Bella Pious

Post by Bella Pious »

Speaking from someone who does not have any character that is good at fighting anything, quests are fun if I can assist the other players. It has never been about loot or deed, but I understand it is not like that for the majority of people. Do we want newer player or weaker fighter to participate in the quests? or they are solely for well-trained ones? I think there is no harm for some lesser mobs to carry some loots -- few hundred coins, some gems -- for people who value them to loot. That way at least the newer players are participating in some way instead of just saying "Ah quest = time to log off coz I am no good at it"

Let the mobs carry loot but not that much that EVERYONE wants to loot or mind who loots more.

As for party system, can it be limited to a certain number of ppl/party at quests? Maybe that will break players into different parties instead of one giant party of only good fighters. Collect the health points each player deals with the "boss" and reward them accordingly. So whatever party gets most points on average among the members in the party gets best deed, and so on.
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

I agree with Jyrgen on this one, unless there is an ongoing storyline of "Fred the massively powerful all seeing demon baby is the scourge of all humankind and everyone must join forces to defeat this wretched, foul diaper pooping giant baby" I do not particularly agree with everyone under the sun being able to band together. I mean in fairness I get the point, but if we want to secure our status as an RP shard, which some people who have posted in this particular thread say they do and continually make compromises in other ways that affect RP, it just doesn't make sense.

Again, for participation sake, so that even the losers get a trophy I get why junior soccer squads give participation trophies out, I equate this notion of participation trophies to that of allowing even the worst of enemies to be on the same battle field without causing a ruckus with each other, it just doesn't make sense from an RP standpoint.

I believe while giant 20 man quests are fun for the sheer fact that it is just a fluster cuck of chaos, I think smaller scaled quests could be equally as fun and if done right more memorable to the players and staff alike. Creating quests that play to a specific religions weaknesses or strong points is a good example, similarly running quests that play to the weaknesses and strengths of secular characters would also be very fun.

As for my participation or lack there of, as I stated it just comes down to, usually I do not have 4 hours plus I can spend on a quest and see bugging a staff member for a port out of the hell hole a nuisance for him and myself.

As for Bella's point on limiting parties to a number, another idea would be, if possible, to give the staff the ability to form up parties at the beginning of a quest, that way, parties could be evenly matched with one another and should the staff member wish to do it, he could split up the 2+ parties into different groups that for instance could flank the mass of mobs on either side. Just a thought and I am totally unsure of how the party system works serverside so I am not even entirely sure if my suggestion is possible.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman